Topics

Keel rust and ballast straps on a Maramu

Jacob Champness

OK, I have read every thread about keel rust and copper ballast straps, and I have several questions.

1. If the copper strap is intact, then is it true that there would be no rusting of the ballast?

2. If the rust repair job is done perfectly (the ballast is sanded clean and shiny and then immediately sealed of), then is the copper strap even necessary?

3. My boat, Maramu #42 is 41 years old.  There is no sign of a copper strap.  Is it possible the strap was a later innovation and there never was one on my boat?

4. If it was supposed to be there and it has been missing for who knows how long, then what problems should I look for besides the rusty ballast?

5. How in the heck do you get a new strap attached at the bottom of the bilge?  I mean like physically, how can you get a person and/or a tool into the bottom of the bilge on a Maramu?  I might be able to do it if I removed the engine, but that seems a bit excessive.  I mean if it's that or have the ballast fall off, I'll do it, but there must be an easier way, right?

6. What are you supposed to attach the other end of the ballast strap to?  Since I have none in the first place, I'm not sure were it might've been supposed to go.

Thanks so much for any thoughts and advice!

Jacob Champness
Maramu #42, Lark
St Augustine, USA

Let's start by asking how long you have owned this Amel and what do you know about the previous work done on the boat?
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 7:42 PM Jacob Champness <jacob.champness@...> wrote:
[...]

I've owned her for 2 years.  I don't know about any work done on the ballast or the strap prior to that.  I observed some small rust bubbles on the very bottom of the aft end of the ballast when we hauled in Guatemala a little over a year agoand had the them cleaned up and covered over but I don't think the guys there did a great job.  I recently observed more of the same while cleaning the bottom in George Town.

Here's one more question I meant to ask above:  How can you ever be sure that the upper surface of the ballast against the GRP stub is sealed and free of rust?

Thanks again!

Jacob Champness
Maramu #42, Lark
St Augustine, USA

Jacob,

I think it is impossible to answer your questions because the historical information is not available to you or me. An Amel the age of your Maramu has been through numerous owners and many changes. Yes, the "guys" doing the rust prevention job likely did not do it correctly, which is another non-spec. change. Trust me when I say, your Maramu has many of these.

The next time your Maramu is out of the water, test continuity from one of the exposed iron spots to the zinc on the rudder. If no continuity, your iron ballast is not protected.

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 5:48 AM Jacob Champness <jacob.champness@...> wrote:
I've owned her for 2 years.  I don't know about any work done on the ballast or the strap prior to that.  I observed some small rust bubbles on the very bottom of the aft end of the ballast when we hauled in Guatemala a little over a year agoand had the them cleaned up and covered over but I don't think the guys there did a great job.  I recently observed more of the same while cleaning the bottom in George Town.

Here's one more question I meant to ask above:  How can you ever be sure that the upper surface of the ballast against the GRP stub is sealed and free of rust?

Thanks again!

Jacob Champness
Maramu #42, Lark
St Augustine, USA

Jacob Champness

Fair enough, but setting my specific vessel aside, and asking about ballast and copper straps on Maramus in general:

1. If the copper strap is intact, then is it true that there would be no rusting of the ballast?

2. If the rust repair job is done perfectly (the ballast is sanded clean and shiny and then immediately sealed of), then is the copper strap even necessary?

3. Is it possible that a 1979 Maramu never had a strap?

4. If the strap were missing for several years from a Maramu that should have had it then what problems would you expect to see?

5. How have others physically managed to attach a strap at the bottom of the bilge on a Maramu?  Does anyone have pictures of that job?

6. Could anyone who has the strap in place on their Maramu please comment on where it attaches at the other end from the ballast?

7. In general, how can you ever be sure that the upper surface of the ballast against the GRP stub is sealed and free of rust?

Thanks!
Jacob Champness
Maramu #42, Lark
St Augustine, USA

eric freedman

Steel is steel. If bare steel is exposed to salt water it will rust. It is very important to immediately prime the ballast as soon as it is sanded. Slight oxidation will cause the bottom paint to flake of.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

smiles bernard

Hi Jacob
I’ve just replaced rotten bonding cables with the attached
There is lots of good discussions about this on the forum that I read up on before attempting it and that helped.
It’s a shot taken lying on top of my engine looking down into the bilge
Copper strap is 50mm by 4mm
I can dig out length I bought too if helpful
20 or was it 22mm hole 2 inches from end that then attaches to keel bolt
Long extensions on 30mm socket set
Was quite easy. Only hard part was getting the shape about right
Happy to help if you have qs
I would also say that a solution with oversized copper braid cable would work well. Perhaps for not as long.

 All the best
Miles

Maramu 162

[...]

Thanks Miles!

How did you avoid dropping the nut out of the socket when you removed it with the long extensions?

Is that attachment point at the top something you added, or is it original?

Jacob

Jacob Champness

Thanks Eric.  Do you have any concerns about the condition of the surface of your ballast?

Jacob Champness

Sorry, I left out the key word:  Do you have any concerns about the condition of the top surface of your ballast?  The surface which is up against the bottom of the keel stub?

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Jacob
I put double sided tape (3M) into the socket. The nut sticked in it quite well until it was on.
Ruedi Waldispuehl
WASABI A54. #55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Jacob Champness <jacob.champness@...>
Datum: Montag, 1. Juni 2020 um 13:11
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Thanks Miles!

How did you avoid dropping the nut out of the socket when you removed it with the long extensions?

Is that attachment point at the top something you added, or is it original?

Jacob

smiles bernard

HI Jacob
I just folded some single sided tape in half and stuck it inside the socket :)
Which worked ok
But i did also have one of those long litter picker up tools to hand just in case! Great to have onboard anyhow incase something escapes you and ends up in the dreaded bilge
In terms of the topmost attachment - it's just a bluesea busbar i screwed into place
The plan is to  replace that in time with a piece of glassed foam and then just use the big copper strap as the busbar - ie add a terminal at its upper end
......but i had the bluesea thing to hand . . . . .

Hope that helps and best of luck with the job

As i think i mentioned i'm pretty sure a section of braided copper with a 20 mm eye on the end would last a while too but this copper bar option is belt and braces I hope

All the best
Miles

Jacob Champness

Thanks Miles.  What else is connected to that busbar?

smiles bernard

Hi there

I'll connect from the busbar to another common ground point which then connects back to the rudder shaft and hence anodes
I notice on our boat that there used to be a bonding strap onto the prop shaft seal housing
The bonding copper mesh was attached by a jubilee clip so has broken off
A previous owner has i think replaced the original shaft log with one of those dripless ones that you need to burp when you launch to get water in
I suspect the original one was fed from a water T off the exhaust
So i'm in two minds as to if i need to bond this in - but assume it wont do any harm if i do

All the best
Miles

Jacob Champness

Thanks Miles!