Topics

Ladder

james Hosford

Anyone modify their back step to accept the stock ladder in a down position. Send like it would be easy enough to add a socket to the bumper and make it a lot easier to get in and out with gear on.
Sent from my iPhone

Mark McGovern

James,

Assuming you have the OEM Amel bumper, the bumper would likely just rip off the back of the boat if you tried that.  It's made from some sort of foam rubber and held in place by just two M8 bolts with some fender washers. The bolts are meant to hold up the weight of the bumper and keep it in place in a compression load (bumping into a dock, etc.).  They are not meant to hold the weight of a ladder and person pulling down on the bumper.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

james Hosford

Ah thanks pictures I saw I thought it was fiberglass or fiberglass encapsulated wood.   Oh well it was an idea

On Aug 21, 2020, at 9:07 AM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

James,

Assuming you have the OEM Amel bumper, the bumper would likely just rip off the back of the boat if you tried that.  It's made from some sort of foam rubber and held in place by just two M8 bolts with some fender washers. The bolts are meant to hold up the weight of the bumper and keep it in place in a compression load (bumping into a dock, etc.).  They are not meant to hold the weight of a ladder and person pulling down on the bumper.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Last year when I was in New Caledonia Marina I was alongside an SM that had fitted a very good fold down ladder to the stern, (not attached to the bumper) I will try and find my photos of it.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 22 August 2020 at 03:04 "james Hosford via groups.io" <jay.hosford@...> wrote:

Ah thanks pictures I saw I thought it was fiberglass or fiberglass encapsulated wood.   Oh well it was an idea

On Aug 21, 2020, at 9:07 AM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

James,

Assuming you have the OEM Amel bumper, the bumper would likely just rip off the back of the boat if you tried that.  It's made from some sort of foam rubber and held in place by just two M8 bolts with some fender washers. The bolts are meant to hold up the weight of the bumper and keep it in place in a compression load (bumping into a dock, etc.).  They are not meant to hold the weight of a ladder and person pulling down on the bumper.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi gang,

If I remember correctly, Quelzal has a very nice installation...

A platform was added on the port side of the stern with a deployable telescopic ladder.  The deployable portion rests on the back bumper to prevent the ladder moving under the stern whe loaded with a humanoid...

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 22 Aug 2020, at 07:30, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi James, herewith two photos of the stern mounted ladder on the boat along side me in New Caledonia, Nov. It was in two hinged parts, one took it to the bumper, the next folded down into the water. Looked good.

Kind Regards

[...]

Heinz Stutenbaeumer

Wuetzal

Am 22.08.2020 01:44 schrieb Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...>:

[...]

Quetzal gets around!  Here are some pics of her stern in Le Marin Martinique in June 2017:44

Here is a close up of the ladder:

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara