Leaking deck hatch latch

Bob Grey

Gentlemen, My Amel 55 has a leaking forward deck hatch, it seems to be the southco latch, Does anyone know where to buy seals for these latches? Couldn’t find any parts on the southco website.

Bob Grey
Renaissance III
Amel 55 #25

Porter McRoberts

Bob. If you take it apart and clean and re silicone the seals then recaulk I think you’ll be back in business. The caulking especially as it gets dry and brittle need a refresh I found. Otherwise our friends in Rochelle happily will supply you with new parts.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152

On Apr 9, 2021, at 7:16 PM, Bob Grey via groups.io <renaissanceiii@...> wrote:

Gentlemen, My Amel 55 has a leaking forward deck hatch, it seems to be the southco latch, Does anyone know where to buy seals for these latches? Couldn’t find any parts on the southco website.

Bob Grey
Renaissance III
Amel 55 #25

Dominique Sery

Vladan SV PAME

Bob,

you can check here for Lewmar spare parts https://www.helmstock.com/hatches-latches-portlights/hatches-portlights-boat/lewmar-hatches-spare-parts.html?p=1

They are very efficient with delivery.

--
Vladan

A54 #157 PAME

Scott SV Tengah

Where is it leaking? I have a 54 but we have Southco latches, too. One was leaking on the shaft. If you see rust on the shaft itself, it's likely the o-ring on the shaft. Take it apart and replace the o-ring and you're good to go. Arno was the first to do it (to my knowledge) so search for his posts.

If it's the sikaflex, just unbolt the whole latch and reseal.

No need nor advantage to replace the whole thing.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Bob Grey

Thanks guys, sounds like it’s an oring on the shaft, that’s my job tomorrow., note it’s the forward deck locker with a southco latch not the Lewmar  cabin hatches.

Bob Grey

Hi, replaced the Oring, leak solved.

Joan Blaas

Bob,

I am experiencing the same problem with the leaking deck locks as you had.

When I took apart the Southco deck locks the little pins broke off. Did you find spare ones somewhere?

Joan
Caconano A55#05
Martinique

Bruno COTTE

Amel after sales service it is a 55 so they have close to everything

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 26 oct. 2021 à 21:52, Joan Blaas <joan.blaas@...> a écrit :

Bob,

I am experiencing the same problem with the leaking deck locks as you had.

When I took apart the Southco deck locks the little pins broke off. Did you find spare ones somewhere?

Joan
Caconano A55#05
Martinique

Arno Luijten

I had the same problem with all the Southco locks a few years back. All of them suffered from two problems, leakage between the housing and the GRP hatch because Amel was a bit too sparse with the Sikaflex and leakage trough the shaft of the lock. Take out the lock, clean it and re-seal with Sikaflex. At the same time you should take the lock apart by removing the small pin (careful not to loose it!), clean it and replace the O-ring using silicone grease.
When I spoke to Southco directly about revision sets they told me they don't do revision sets but you can always buy a new lock.... yeah, right.
So the black rubber cylinder in the lock is not so easy obtainable. But it also lasts longer then the O-ring.

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Martin Birkhoff

Hi all,

we had the same problems with all Southco-locks. Some of the O-rings were worn out, most of the pins were bent.
It was a problem to get O-rings with the same specifications. Finally we used O-rings with the following dimensions: Inner diameter 10 mm, outer diameter 13.8 mm, cord thickness 1.9 mm. A slightly thicker cord also works, but makes it difficult to insert the O-rings. It is important to grease the O-rings well.
We replaced the original pins with shear pins for the propeller of the Honda Bf 2.3 outboard. Diameter 3.3 mm, length 23 mm. Honda sparepart number 58131-ZV0-000.
It is necessary to drill out the diameter of the pin hole slightly to 3.3 mm. The pin can then be inserted with contact adhesive. However, it also works without adhesive, the spring pressure holds the pin in position.

Regards
Martin Birkhoff
SV Mago del Sur 54#40
currently Villasimius, Sardinia

Doug Smith

Hello,
I also went through the process of getting rid of the moisture coming through the hatches.  After doing the latches, I also found I was getting some moisture through the hinges, and so used the Butyl rubber to re-bed the hinges, as well as the latches.  The adhesive/sealant used previously was pretty worn out.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

White Point Marina, Kinsale VA USA