LED under cabinet lighting

Patrick McAneny

I would like to add a string of color changing LED lights under the galley cabinets and white LEDs in the engine room. What I see are 24v , but they have a A/C to D/C converter. I would like to wire them direct into our 24v system. Has anyone cut the wire off the converter and wired the LEDs via a fuse directly to the 24 system? Does the color changing unit still function with the remote?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Bill Kinney

Pat,

It's always a little dicey doing what you suggest.  Part of the reason is that on a boat "24V" isn't ever really "24V"  It can range up to almost 29V depending on your battery charging scheme.  LEDs that are setup for a constant 24V might have a shortened lifespan driven at high voltages.

I KNOW you can find marine grade LEDs and controllers to do exactly what you want that will be honestly rated for 10 to 30V.  You might pay a bit more, but...

We did basically the same thing, except with plain white LEDs.  What a difference:  Cooking in the galley with BRIGHT lights!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Gang,

We added a bright white LED string under the cabinet above the sink and extended it all the way to the port most locker. Lots of light

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera SM007. NZ’s

On 19/09/2021, at 1:49 PM, Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

Pat,

It's always a little dicey doing what you suggest.  Part of the reason is that on a boat "24V" isn't ever really "24V"  It can range up to almost 29V depending on your battery charging scheme.  LEDs that are setup for a constant 24V might have a shortened lifespan driven at high voltages.

I KNOW you can find marine grade LEDs and controllers to do exactly what you want that will be honestly rated for 10 to 30V.  You might pay a bit more, but...

We did basically the same thing, except with plain white LEDs.  What a difference:  Cooking in the galley with BRIGHT lights!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Michael Winand

We went with a 4 colour led, needs to be attached to a aluminum strip, for the heat sink. Has a diffusion cover.
Went with a wired controller,  it has dimmer,  3 white colour choice,  took the power from the galley exhaust fan.
Lots of choices these days.
Michael Nebo sm251

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021, 12:36 pm Germain Jean-Pierre, <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark & Debbie Mueller

We added 24 volt single color LED’s with a dimmer.  They are working great – as said before, a HUGE difference.  I choose 36 LED per foot to avoid any shadowing.  I used the adhesive back to mount the strip however an aluminum mounting rail is available.  They can be cut to length so I wired two strips together, one over the sink area and the other over the cooktop/microwave area.  The LED’s and dimmer we purchased from SuperBrightLEDs.com:

STW-A50K90-C6F-10C5M-24V: Cool White 5000K LED

LDK-8A: Single Color LED Dimmer.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Patrick McAneny

Mark, Did you plug the lite string into an A/C outlet using the transformer /plug provided, or did you wire it directly to the 24v system?
Thanks,
Pat

We added 24 volt single color LED’s with a dimmer.  They are working great – as said before, a HUGE difference.  I choose 36 LED per foot to avoid any shadowing.  I used the adhesive back to mount the strip however an aluminum mounting rail is available.  They can be cut to length so I wired two strips together, one over the sink area and the other over the cooktop/microwave area.  The LED’s and dimmer we purchased from SuperBrightLEDs.com:

STW-A50K90-C6F-10C5M-24V: Cool White 5000K LED
LDK-8A: Single Color LED Dimmer.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Mark & Debbie Mueller

I connected directly to the 24 volt system.  I left the existing kitchen lighting in place and connected the new LED lights to that source using the existing circuit breaker for protection.  I was reluctant to use a transformer, I really like the KISS Principle.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54