Topics

Leroy Somer Spare parts

Paul Osterberg
 

I discover today that the two lids on the Leroy Sumer gear box for the main furler was broken. Any chance that anyone of you has a lid or two laying around and could sell those. also interested in other spare parts from the box as the worm ger itself i.e. the cog wheel.

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259 Lagos, Portugal

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
 

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Paul Osterberg
 

Elja thank you would very much appreciate details for where to order, I have tried but not succeeded 
Paul

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
 

He Paul
I replay tomorow but i think you can order only when you have a company
But no problen in the worst case i can do it for you

Elja

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

karkauai
 

I had some made by 3D printing in nylon that seem to be holding up.  Contact Ronan at Pro 3D Printing Services +1 (410) 831-5891

They were $150 each with the cost of design work.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:16 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor  by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet



Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
 

He Kent ,
you print the gaer boxes ?

Best Elja Röllinghoff
SM Balu



Von meinem iPhone gesendet

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Hi Kent,

 Which parts did you have made ?  3-D printing could play a huge role in replacing parts that are no longer in production.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
Sent: 01 November 2019 00:33
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Leroy Somer Spare parts
 
I had some made by 3D printing in nylon that seem to be holding up.  Contact Ronan at Pro 3D Printing Services +1 (410) 831-5891

They were $150 each with the cost of design work.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:16 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor  by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet



karkauai
 

No, Elja, just the top and bottom plates. The cast aluminum plates that are easily broken when servicing the gear boxes. In my experience, the gear boxes and gears are in good shape, but can’t be used if you break the corner off of the plate as Paul did. The nylon ones seem strong enough, but I haven’t taken the repaired gearbox apart again to see if they are reusable.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Nov 1, 2019, at 4:41 AM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <@Balu> wrote:
He Kent ,
you print the gaer boxes ?

Best Elja Röllinghoff
SM Balu



Von meinem iPhone gesendet

karkauai
 

Hi Ian.  I first had new cabinet pulls made.  That worked out well, so when I had two good gear boxes with three broken covers (the plates on the top and bottom of the gear box), I had those printed, too.  So far they seem to be holding up well.
I agree that 3-D printing will become a very helpful tool with items that aren’t too complicated.  With multiple compound curves it requires a very sophisticated 3-D scanner that drives the cost up a lot, especially for small numbers.

I understand that 3-D printing can also be done with a variety of different metals, but haven’t had a need to try that yet.  Materials can add significantly to the cost as well.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Nov 1, 2019, at 8:48 AM, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:


Hi Kent,

 Which parts did you have made ?  3-D printing could play a huge role in replacing parts that are no longer in production.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
Sent: 01 November 2019 00:33
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Leroy Somer Spare parts
 
I had some made by 3D printing in nylon that seem to be holding up.  Contact Ronan at Pro 3D Printing Services +1 (410) 831-5891

They were $150 each with the cost of design work.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:16 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor  by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet



Thomas Kleman
 

FYI- I just ordered 4 gear box tops from Kent's vendor in Annapolis for $100 each (no design work necessary so saved $50; thanks Kent). If you're buying this from Ronan, he now calls it "the Kent part".

Paul Osterberg
 

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 10:53 AM, Thomas Kleman wrote:
Interesting I have mailed them and ask if they would ship "the Kent part". to me in Portugal 
Paul SY Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg
 

Kent
How long have you had your 3d printed lids?
Paul

Mike Ondra
 

I wonder how many of Kents parts he has had replicated.
Mike
Aletes SM#240


On Nov 2, 2019, at 2:38 PM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Kent
How long have you had your 3d printed lids?
Paul

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Kent and Ian.

When we were in Shelter Bay marina Colon waiting to transit the Panama canal a staff member of the marina smashed one of the top plates trying to remove the central shaft. I only had two days before we transited and we found an egineeering shop in Colon who turned up a new one in aluminiun.

It  was perfect.

The breakage occured because he applied force instead of heat which is what I had asked him to do. Once the blow torch was subseqently applied the shaft came out easily.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 03 November 2019 at 00:33 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi Ian.  I first had new cabinet pulls made.  That worked out well, so when I had two good gear boxes with three broken covers (the plates on the top and bottom of the gear box), I had those printed, too.  So far they seem to be holding up well.
I agree that 3-D printing will become a very helpful tool with items that aren’t too complicated.  With multiple compound curves it requires a very sophisticated 3-D scanner that drives the cost up a lot, especially for small numbers.

I understand that 3-D printing can also be done with a variety of different metals, but haven’t had a need to try that yet.  Materials can add significantly to the cost as well.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Nov 1, 2019, at 8:48 AM, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

 Which parts did you have made ?  3-D printing could play a huge role in replacing parts that are no longer in production.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece
 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
Sent: 01 November 2019 00:33
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Leroy Somer Spare parts
 
I had some made by 3D printing in nylon that seem to be holding up.  Contact Ronan at Pro 3D Printing Services +1 (410) 831-5891

They were $150 each with the cost of design work.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:16 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor  by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet




 


 

karkauai
 

I have had one of the “lids” for a year, and just got 2 more.

Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

On Nov 2, 2019, at 3:11 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:



Hi Kent and Ian.

When we were in Shelter Bay marina Colon waiting to transit the Panama canal a staff member of the marina smashed one of the top plates trying to remove the central shaft. I only had two days before we transited and we found an egineeering shop in Colon who turned up a new one in aluminiun.

It  was perfect.

The breakage occured because he applied force instead of heat which is what I had asked him to do. Once the blow torch was subseqently applied the shaft came out easily.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 03 November 2019 at 00:33 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi Ian.  I first had new cabinet pulls made.  That worked out well, so when I had two good gear boxes with three broken covers (the plates on the top and bottom of the gear box), I had those printed, too.  So far they seem to be holding up well.
I agree that 3-D printing will become a very helpful tool with items that aren’t too complicated.  With multiple compound curves it requires a very sophisticated 3-D scanner that drives the cost up a lot, especially for small numbers.

I understand that 3-D printing can also be done with a variety of different metals, but haven’t had a need to try that yet.  Materials can add significantly to the cost as well.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Nov 1, 2019, at 8:48 AM, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

 Which parts did you have made ?  3-D printing could play a huge role in replacing parts that are no longer in production.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece
 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
Sent: 01 November 2019 00:33
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Leroy Somer Spare parts
 
I had some made by 3D printing in nylon that seem to be holding up.  Contact Ronan at Pro 3D Printing Services +1 (410) 831-5891

They were $150 each with the cost of design work.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:16 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor  by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet