Topics

Lite gauge wire for bow lights

Dan Carlson

Quick question:  I am shopping for wire our return to BeBe next week and wanted to buy a spool of wire for rewiring bow and stern lights and possibly other things.   I thought I would check for recommendations on the best wire.  Brand? And most versatile wire size (particularly with respect to feeding it through the ss tubing of the bow pulpit to the light fixtures.

I will be installing LED lights so current will be low for this application, but I would like to have a versatile wire for other potential (lower voltage/current) applications.

I have seen that there are posts with the instructions for re-wiring the bow lights so I am not looking for that information right now.

Thanks and regards,  Daniel & Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

Dan,

I used the following for low amperage connections. It is small cable and will probably be easier to route through the stanchions.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 10:35 AM Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:
Quick question:  I am shopping for wire our return to BeBe next week and wanted to buy a spool of wire for rewiring bow and stern lights and possibly other things.   I thought I would check for recommendations on the best wire.  Brand? And most versatile wire size (particularly with respect to feeding it through the ss tubing of the bow pulpit to the light fixtures.

I will be installing LED lights so current will be low for this application, but I would like to have a versatile wire for other potential (lower voltage/current) applications.

I have seen that there are posts with the instructions for re-wiring the bow lights so I am not looking for that information right now.

Thanks and regards,  Daniel & Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

Matt Salatino

On Nov 4, 2019, at 11:35 AM, Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:

Quick question:  I am shopping for wire our return to BeBe next week and wanted to buy a spool of wire for rewiring bow and stern lights and possibly other things.   I thought I would check for recommendations on the best wire.  Brand? And most versatile wire size (particularly with respect to feeding it through the ss tubing of the bow pulpit to the light fixtures.

I will be installing LED lights so current will be low for this application, but I would like to have a versatile wire for other potential (lower voltage/current) applications.

I have seen that there are posts with the instructions for re-wiring the bow lights so I am not looking for that information right now.

Thanks and regards,  Daniel & Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

Thomas Kleman

Be careful Dan. Replacing bow light wire is how more than one SM owner (including me) heard a loud crack in the floor and began the dreaded bow locker floor replacement project.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT SM2K 422
Bocas del Toro

Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris

Hi Matt,
That looks like Ancor wire - a quality product with the new yellow-red for DC Neg-Positive color coding - although I couldn't see for sure if it was Ancor. Looks like smallest gauge is 18, which is overkill for LED lights.  Bill Rouse's recommendation of the Belden 22 gauge 4 conductor cable may give a smaller diameter and it is round, not oval, so maybe easier running through the stanchion tubes and the flexibility of an extra pair of conductors (although I'm not sure what one would use them for other than future spares).
FWIW, Craig

Matt Salatino

True, 18 gauge wire may be bigger than necessary, but I find it more robust, resisting breakage better than thinner wire, especially routing through difficult spaces.
My 2¢, and your results may differ.  18 gauge is pretty thin.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 4, 2019, at 9:00 PM, Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi Matt,
That looks like Ancor wire - a quality product with the new yellow-red for DC Neg-Positive color coding - although I couldn't see for sure if it was Ancor. Looks like smallest gauge is 18, which is overkill for LED lights.  Bill Rouse's recommendation of the Belden 22 gauge 4 conductor cable may give a smaller diameter and it is round, not oval, so maybe easier running through the stanchion tubes and the flexibility of an extra pair of conductors (although I'm not sure what one would use them for other than future spares).
FWIW, Craig

The 22 ga cable is 1 pair (red + black) 2 conductor and double insulated. It is round and about 5-6mm in diameter (around 3/16"). I like it for all electronics because of the double insulation (braid + foil) and its size.

--

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:39 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Shielded wire is great for electronics to prevent stray EMI issues. Not so critical for lighting, but still nice to have.

On Nov 4, 2019, at 10:41 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all of the recommendations and feedback.  I will add a spool of 18 guage, 2 wire tinned copper oval jacketed wire to my spares.  I already have some of the 22 guage shielded, and some 16*4 flat, and some 12 or 14 /2 wire for higher voltage/current.

And thanks for the reminder about the bow locker floor Thomas. I'll put something down to distribute the weight before I spend much time in there.

Best regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387