Lofrans Tigris Windlass

Ian Park

Edited

Just replaced my windlass after removal, clean and service. I trapped a wire while bolting back it back down and found the up/down buttons no longer worked. The helm joystick worked fine.
On dismantling again I checked the voltage in the switches and there was non. The wires were still intact and I traced them back to the bow thruster locker and tested at the junction block. There is no voltage there either. Checking the Lofrans wiring diagram they indicate a 5 amp fuse for that part of the circuit. Does anyone know where it might be located?. The main wiring harness that includes the red + wire disappears into a deck conduit back to the area above the galley.
Does anyone have any information about this?

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96
UK (Wales)

Craig Briggs

Hi Ian,
I checked my SN today and find no 5A fuse (or any other small size) in the low voltage wires to the windlass. I only have the 100A breaker in this picture.
--The fuse holder to the upper left of it is something I added for a Caframo fan in the forward stateroom - nothing to do with the windlass. I believe the heavy cables you see heading aft through conduit up high are going to the "Mat" and "Bome" furling relays in the head, so nothing to do with the windlass.  On my boat there are two holes through the forward bulkhead - the one on the right carries only 3 wires for the genoa furler and the one one the left carries the windlass wires plus some other wires that seem to be running lights, maybe chain counter and low voltage switch wires for the windlass.
Sorry not to be more definitive, but hope this helps a bit.
Best regards, Craig
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Ian Park

Craig,
Thanks for your reply. It looks quite similar to my wiring. The red and two brown wires on my photo to up to the windlass switches. There is no voltage registering on the red wire which is the common wire to both switches.
I think I'll try a 12 v feed separately to the switch and see if that activates the windlass. Then it will be a matter of tracking the feed back to where the supply voltage has stopped feeding!
If I find a fuse I'll post a photo in the photos library!
Ian

Ian,

I know that you know the following, but since you did not say, I will offer this:
I have had more than 1 experienced clients have the same issue. I always ask if they have turned on what I call the Command Breaker. In every case, so far, my embarrassed clients advised me that the problem was solved. Sorry to waste your time with this, but it has happened more than once. I do not have a photo of the SN panel, but the symbol will be the same:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 3:16 AM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
Craig,
Thanks for your reply. It looks quite similar to my wiring. The red and two brown wires on my photo to up to the windlass switches. There is no voltage registering on the red wire which is the common wire to both switches.
I think I'll try a 12 v feed separately to the switch and see if that activates the windlass. Then it will be a matter of tracking the feed back to where the supply voltage has stopped feeding!
If I find a fuse I'll post a photo in the photos library!
Ian

Ian Park

Thanks Bill, but the breaker was on as each time I tested with the cockpit joystick first and it’s running fine!
When I find the issue I will post the cause and solution.

Ian

Ian Park

Thanks everyone who offered advice.

it was a Homer Simpson ‘Doh!’ moment.
After testing everywhere with the multimeter and then a long pause ....
I have always switched on the bow thruster breaker when I switch the windlass breaker, just st n case I might need it. The cockpit controls go live with windlass breaker, but the switches on a he windlass itself are activated through the bow thruster breaker!
you learn something every day. This is original wiring on Santorin 96.

Ian.  Ocean Hobo