Low Water Level at See water filter

Luis

Hi,

I need your Help, Please.

Recently i have noticed that the sea water level at the filter is going down without an understandable reason.

i have replaced all the the pipes, have well checked the filter cover for any possible damage without finding any issue, replaced the filter cover O-Ring, Well cover the thread of it with some Vaseline, but the level is still going down.

I am planning a long motorized trip and am absolutely worried with this, and above all, with the lack of capacity to find out the possible cause.

Can you Help Please?

Thanks

Luis Correia
SM 87 MAIBAR

Bertrand Quénot

Luis,
Were I get the same issue I would assume that there is a leak somewhere within my sea water systems and that I need to find where.
First I would fill the main filter by unscrewing the cover a bit until it is full again.
Then I would close all the sea water systems from the manyfold.
Then I would reopen each system one by one to see which one makes the main filter level going down.
Hope this could help
Bertrand

Le 22 mai 2022 à 13:05, Luis <2100lfc@...> a écrit :

Hi,

I need your Help, Please.

Recently i have noticed that the sea water level at the filter is going down without an understandable reason.

i have replaced all the the pipes, have well checked the filter cover for any possible damage without finding any issue, replaced the filter cover O-Ring, Well cover the thread of it with some Vaseline, but the level is still going down.

I am planning a long motorized trip and am absolutely worried with this, and above all, with the lack of capacity to find out the possible cause.

Can you Help Please?

Thanks

Luis Correia
SM 87 MAIBAR

Bill Kinney

Luis,

If the level is dropping when you are sailing, that is normal. Air gets sucked under the hull, and rises in the sea strainer.

If the level drops when you are using the engine or generator, then air is getting pulled into the system from some other place.

Be sure that the pipe up from the ocean to the strainer is clear.  The most likely source of air getting pulled back into the system is from the air conditioning cooling circuits. Are there check valves in the AC lines?  If yes, are they working?  On SM87 you probably don't have valves that will allow you to easily isolate these lines, but blocking them off will help isolate the problem.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

Miles

Lois,

I have nothing to add to the previous advice, except to suggest that you use silicon grease instead of Vaseline on the rubber and on all rubber things and seals.  The rubber will last longer.

Miles  s/y Ladybug SM 216 , Le Marin, Martinique

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Luls,
When the SM is at rest the water level will overflow the top of the intake strainer if you remove the cap. So I would start by checking the intake is not blocked with sea life, eg mussels, barnacles etc.
Kind Regards
Danny SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 23/05/2022 10:35 Luis <2100lfc@...> wrote:

Hi,

I need your Help, Please.

Recently i have noticed that the sea water level at the filter is going down without an understandable reason.

i have replaced all the the pipes, have well checked the filter cover for any possible damage without finding any issue, replaced the filter cover O-Ring, Well cover the thread of it with some Vaseline, but the level is still going down.

I am planning a long motorized trip and am absolutely worried with this, and above all, with the lack of capacity to find out the possible cause.

Can you Help Please?

Thanks

Luis Correia
SM 87 MAIBAR

Paul Osterberg

We hade a similar issue recently. Opend the filter and found some  small debris cleared it out, but problem persist. Took a long rod and pushed it through the inlet, and after that the problem was gone. The way we first discovered the problem was fumese coming into the cockpit from the small cooling water "outlet" at the engine room hatch. We also have a Bluetooth temp probe on the exhaust hose, from there we can monitor if motor temp gets elevated, which was noticed when cooling water inlet was not fully cleared.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM #259