Topics

Lubrication of the Mechanism That Drives The Main Sail Furling Unit

Bill Shaproski

There is black grease leaking from the the mechanism that you put the winch handle into to furl the main sail in or out when the gearbox and motor are disconnected.  If I disassemble the unit by removing the bolts holding it together, is it going to require some complicated reassembly.  Any help with how to grease that unit are much appreciated.  I have a 1995 Super Maramu.

BTW, I found a brand new Bonfiglioli gearbox for the furling unit in a small town in The Netherlands.  The price was only about $125.  Furthermore it came with the shaft installed through theunit with a head piece that mates with the furler.  I planned to use the shaft from the unit being removed, but it was seized in the unit.  All other gearboxes I have found are in the $350 to $550 range.  The Netherlands company is PLC2DAY.com Tele: +31-161-416125.  They said that they had one more in stock.  It's listed as used, but it's brand new.

Regards,
Bill Shaproski

Bill Shaproski

I did find a group of messages from 2012 that address my question.  But I would like to find someone who has done this recently to ask some specific questions.
Regards,
Bill Shaproski

Randall

Hello Bill,

Not sure if this helps, but i remembered seeing this video by Ken on Aquarius.

Randall,
A54 #56

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:15 AM Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:
[...]

karkauai

Hi Bill.
I just serviced my manual furler for the main. It is filled with a very heavy gear oil.  I found only one place (in England) that sold it by the liter, otherwise it is sold in very large quantities and is very expensive. It was shipped to me in the USA in about a week at a reasonable price. A liter is enough to service it 2-3 times.
 It is Shell Oil Omala S4 WE320
https://www.lubefinder.com/shell-omala-s4-we-320.html

After reinstalling it there was a small amount of oil on the deck the next day or two. It stopped leaking after a few days and hasn't been leaking for two weeks including furling and unfurling several times.
What specifically did you want to know?
Kent & Iris
SM243
Kristy

On Jun 18, 2020 9:00 AM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:
I did find a group of messages from 2012 that address my question.  But I would like to find someone who has done this recently to ask some specific questions.
Regards,
Bill Shaproski

All,

Kent is exactly correct on the Gear oil by Shell, Omala S4 WE320 synthetic gear oil. You can probably find it in Europe, but not in the US. There are several equivalents of the synthetic 320 gear oil in the US. One is made by Super Lube and is "Synthetic Gear Oil, ISO 320." You can buy 1 quart of it on Amazon for $22 at https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-54300-Synthetic-Bottle/dp/B002KKXHH6/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Polyglycol+Synthetic+ISO+VG+320&qid=1593354246&sr=8-16

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 9:00 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Randall,
Thanks much for the info on Ken's video on how to rebuild the main sail manual furler.  It's exactly what I was looking for.  In fact I met Ken several times two years ago in the Caribbean.
Regards
Bill Shaproski
Pacific Cool

--
Bill Shaproski
Cell:  +1-206-375-2787

Bill Shaproski

Hi Kent and Iris,
Thanks much for the info.  I just want to confirm that when you say you serviced the manual furler you are referring to the unit at the bottom of the main sail where you insert the winch handle to manually furl or unfurl the main when the electric system has failed.  If yes, were you able to lubricate the inside of the unit with the unit in place. If so, how was this accomplished?  I reviewed a YouTube video from Ken on Aquarius where he explains how to completely rebuild the unit which looks reasonably challenging.  So if there's a way to lube it without disassembly I'd prefer that.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards
Bill Shaproski
Pacific Cool

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 8:00 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm referring to the manual furler that the winch handle goes in.
I don't know how you could add oil with it in place. Mine had never been serviced, and hearing about the shearing off of the foil, I wanted to remove it to check that anyway.  Mine had holes that were elongated to about 15mm, so I cut it off and drilled new holes.

There was still oil in the gearbox, but only a cup or so, and it was black.  After dismantling it and cleaning it up, I reassembled it and with it lying on the bench with the opening where the drive shaft goes in facing up, I poured in the oil and then finished assembling.
Hope that helps,
Kent

On Jun 30, 2020 2:24 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Ken and Iris,
Thanks for the clarification.  It's helpful.  Also, I note that Ken from Aquarius recommended grease to lubricate the furler, but you are recommending oil.  Is the choice a matter of preference or what?  Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Bill Shaproski

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:35 PM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

In order to grease the gearboxes, you must install grease nipples

I drilled mine, tapped in my nipples, and voila...

Cheers

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Opua NZ

On 6/07/2020, at 12:13 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi JP,
I think you are referring to the Bonfiglioli Gearbox.  If not, are you saying that tapping a grease nipple into the mainsail MANUAL furler is acceptable?  This is the one installed above the Bonfiglioli gearbox and mating with the mainsail extrusion.
Regards
Bill Shaproski

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 9:00 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
[...]

Was indeed referring to Bonfiglioli

For the manual furler, fresh water rinse works fine for me.

On 6/07/2020, at 5:22 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:

[...]

The heavy oil was what was put in it by Amel, and lasted some 21 years, so that's what I used. If you go with grease, I think it should be looked at every 2 years or so. I may look at mine every 5 years if it doesn't leak oil.
Kent

On Jul 5, 2020 8:12 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the followup.  Useful to know.
Regards
Bill

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020, 8:20 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Well darn, sometimes I think my old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy is best. My newly refurbished manual mainsail furler, which I filled with heavy gear oil, is leaking onto the cabin top.

I hate to take it off and redo what I just did with new seals, so I'm asking if anyone has ideas about what to do differently.

It's hard to pinpoint where the oil is leaking on the bottom side of the gearbox. I didn't use any sealant on the outside of the shaft seal, so that's one thing, I could use a speed sleeve on the shaft, but the shaft looked nice and smooth.

I could go with grease instead of oil, but that means more frequent maintenance. Has anyone put a zerk in this gearbox for periodic greasing?

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Bill Shaproski

You might want to contact Ken from Aquarius who has three Youtube videos he made of how to rebuild the main sail manual furler.  He used grease instead of oil to lubricate after rebuild.  He also used the seal kit from Amel.  Here's the link:  youtube.com/watch?v=F0HIWBv1Pfc.

I'm no expert but it seems like installing a lube fitting should work.  Its apparently been done a lot on the gearbox for the electric furler.
Regards
Bill Shaproski
Pacific Cool

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 10:16 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bill, I hadn't seen that. Mine doesn't have the "dust cover", but that's not causing the oil leak.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the dust cover? I'm guessing it's a double lip oil seal that is 8-10mm  thick?

Thanks again
Kent

On Jul 18, 2020 3:02 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:
[...]

Hello Kent,

I followed Danny SIMMS suggestion; I rinse with loads of sweet water when able.

This has been done automatically in NZ... so much so that a newspaper called the storm “the 500 year freak rain”

We are dry; it’s N Amel

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007

On 19/07/2020, at 5:16 AM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

JP, I know the Mizzen furler is water-lubed, but the main furler had heavy oil, and others have used grease when refurbishing.  Are you using water only on the manual mainsail furler?

Kent

On Jul 18, 2020 4:44 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
[...]

Craig Briggs

Hi Kent,
The "dust cover" is not a lip seal, it's a "V" dirt seal - NAK V-045 50-40-4.5.

The lip seals are: top: 58 46 7; bottom: 33 25 6

Also, I think that assembly just wants grease, not gear oil, like your winches.
Craig