Main Boom outhaul line and Main Boom Traveler line.

Michael & Robyn,

This issue you are having with line slipping in the AndersonLine Handler sheave is simple to explain and rather easy to fix.

When your SM was new the line in both of these was the same. They were 10mm Kevlar core in a polyester sheath. I doubt there was a better line anywhere in the world.

If you can find an identical line today it would also likely slip because line manufacturers have taken material out of the core. You may be surprised that a newly made similar construction can be pinched with your fingers to 7mm, while the Amel-supplied 10mm line cannot be compressed at all. Go look at the sheave in those Anderson Line Handlers and imagine 7mm versus 10mm and you will totally understand the issue. Go to any rope sales outlet and pinch the 10mm line, and you'll get it.

The solution is to use a high-quality no-stretch core like Kevlar, Spectra, or Dyneema with a polyester sheath in the 12mm size. Do not use Dyneema sheath as it is too slippery.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021, 5:11 PM Michael & Robyn <SY_RIPPLE@...> wrote:
Hi Bruno,

They may work well on modern Mega Yachts with all Dynema (core and sleeve) ropes but these slip on our main outhaul and jib cart position controls.
By the way has anyone a recommendation what rope type to use?
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417

Paul Osterberg

 Bill!
We use a 10 mm line with Vectran core, work rather well, Vectran has less creep than Dyneema.
probably upgrade to 12 mm next time, will do the pinch test as well
Paul on SM#259 SY Kerpa

Michael & Robyn

Thank you Alan, Bill and Paul

I had installed 12mm New England Sta Set-X in Cambridge MA before we sailed to Antigua. It kept slipping for the entire trip. So I told the Rigger from English Harbour about the trouble and they installed a 10mm SK78 Dyneema  I believe from Gleitstein called DynaOne.
It slipped when we sailed from Jolly Harbour to Falmouth for check out in English Harbour. Same with the jjib cart position control line.
So I called the rigger back to the boat and they tightened the lines to the degree that I worry about excessive wear on the bearings.
It didn't fix the problem and the outhaul line slipped the whole way back to the US East Coast.
We called it the "it is time to reef the main sail alarm"....

The problem is exactly as Bill described it, the line gets pinched and slips.
When we get to boot in Düsseldorf next year I will do the "Bill Rouse pinch test" one every potential rope I can get my hands on.

They also had mounted the main sail so low that the foot was chafing on the Anderson Line Handler.

kind regards
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417
currently in Brunswick Landing Marina GA