Main hatch

Nicolas Klene

Eric
I encourage you to try my system with the spring on the outside of the bar applying it against the frame !
it is very easy to open , just tilt the bottom of the bar out of the groove , and let it go down gently by gravity , with a little help retaining it .
To close it , raise it , and the springs will force it into the groove and hold it there !!
No need for any other locking mechanism , it suffise to it self , providing the tension of the spring is not too strong
Kind regards
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Nick
Already done:)  Works like I experienced on your DarNico.
Perfect and simple. Once it is set at the right tension you do not need to touch or turn the black nuts again.
(Maybe once in a  while a little added tension)

Just like Henry Amel intended it I would think.
No difficult systems. I just needed to sharpen the edges of the retaining groove as they flattened a bit over the years.

A little silicon spray and the varnish doesn't scratch:)

Thanks for the reminder

Rgrds
Eric
sv Abayomi
SM 158

william reynolds

Just some info on hatch retainers. Attached are photos of the hatch retaining system as installed by Amel  when  delivered to Joel Potter.
Pic #1 shows the door up and the lockers in the "unlock" position.
Pic # 2 shows the elliptical lockers for the hatch. Up for unlock, down for locking.
Pic # 3 shows the release springs that disengage the wood bar  when lifted up. The springs are over the threaded rubber pieces that attach the ss shaft to the door.
You simply lift the door with the handles  up the put the handles in the down position to lock. Reverse to open.
The hinge in Pic #1 is to lift and remove the door as needed.(See Picture)
Cheers
Bill R
Cloudstreet SM2K 331