Topics

Main mast foil play

Thomas Kleman

In installing our new mainsail, I noticed that there is some play (a small amount) in the foil connection to the furler. I've read all the posts regarding the process for cutting down the foil and drilling new holes but I'm wondering how urgent an issue this is given the small amount of play and the fact that the foil shows no signs of fracturing (yet). We like to stay ahead of problems, but I also don't want to overreact- it took 17 years for this small amount of play to emerge.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Oahu

The short answer is you will not see all of the damage. It is fairly easy to inspect. The damage in the following photo was below the collar and not visible.  Remove the top bolt on the collar and with a halyard raise the foil upwards until you can inspect the damage. You may have to ease the mainsail halyard. Let me know if you need anything else.
image.png

Amel has designed a repair kit for those who have trimmed the foil more than 2 times.
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 3:44 PM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
In installing our new mainsail, I noticed that there is some play (a small amount) in the foil connection to the furler. I've read all the posts regarding the process for cutting down the foil and drilling new holes but I'm wondering how urgent an issue this is given the small amount of play and the fact that the foil shows no signs of fracturing (yet). We like to stay ahead of problems, but I also don't want to overreact- it took 17 years for this small amount of play to emerge.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Oahu

Craig Briggs

Preventive maintenance is great, but this may be in the category of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Two cents, of course.
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Thomas Kleman

Thanks Bill- as I compare your pic with the amount of play in my foil, I'm reluctantly aware that I'm engaging in "reality management"; my foil movement matches the pic. I'm certain my foil has never been cut, so the repair seems straightforward. There is a suggestion I've read that calls for filling the bottom of the cut foil with epoxy to strengthen it vs. the cut and drill method. Not sure how to evaluate the two approaches other than the fact that Amel didn't do that in building the boat.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422 SV L'ORIENT
Oahu

Thomas,

I would not recommend the "epoxy idea." This is not normal "wear and tear."
It is caused by overloading the foil when furling and unfurling with the most
common reason for overload being caused by jammed battens. Your SM did not
come with battens. If you have them, you should remove them or risk this damage.

Good luck. I have more information on this. If you want it, email me at brouse@....

Craig, I have not seen a Santorin with this problem. I do not believe you need it on your maintenance list.

Bill

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 7:55 PM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
Thanks Bill- as I compare your pic with the amount of play in my foil, I'm reluctantly aware that I'm engaging in "reality management"; my foil movement matches the pic. I'm certain my foil has never been cut, so the repair seems straightforward. There is a suggestion I've read that calls for filling the bottom of the cut foil with epoxy to strengthen it vs. the cut and drill method. Not sure how to evaluate the two approaches other than the fact that Amel didn't do that in building the boat.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422 SV L'ORIENT
Oahu

Craig Briggs

Hi Bill -
Perhaps another advantage of the SN having the same beefy hardware as her big sister.
Cheers,
--
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Craig,

It certainly is!

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com