Topics

Main outhaul travller

Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal

Hi, I have a broken shackle on the main outhaul car . The bar across the middle of the shackle is broken. When taking it apart today I noticed that there was a crack on one of the end pieces, close to the philips screw, which seems to be more than just cosmetic.

Anyone know whether its possible to replace a) the shackle and b) this small grey "end piece"

I have had a look on the Antel website to see if I could find a part numbers but looking at ANTAL's website http://www.antal.it/eng/4110SH_en , using the correct part number, which  I believe to be Model #4110/SH, the car looks very different from the one on my boom, so I guess it has been updated. If this is the case, any ideas where I can try and source these small parts, I have tried Defender, ebay and a few other searches but to no avail.

thanks

Nick,

I think you are referring to the main boom outhaul shackle. This shackle is one that was modified by Amel, is available from Amel, and if you go see David Waters in his shop there in Antigua, he can repair yours or make you a new one.
image.png

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 3:18 PM Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal via groups.io <svrascal=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Many thanks Bill,

will walk over there on monday

regds

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Nick. If I understand you correctlt th

On 17 January 2021 at 10:18 "Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal via groups.io" <svrascal@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Nick, if I understand you correctly the cracked part is the curved piece that carries the balls around the end. I had the same and the replacement car was expensive so almost for the fun of trying I made a replacement from aluminium plate. Tools. Hacksaw, bench grinder, vice and rat tail (round) file, half moon file. And of course a drill. Successful but I would have hated to pay myself for the hours it took. Good result and a long term fix. Reloading the car onto the track requires a short section of track to pre load the balls. Then butt this up to the track and feed it on. I couldnt source a short piece of track easily so I formed one out of wood. Some of the little balls were damaged so I replaced them all

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

[...]

Michael & Robyn

Hi Nick,

we ordered a spare one from Antal through euroomarinetrading.
see mail from them:
From  euromarinetrading:

Antal part

Does not have crossbar, that was added by Amel.

Shackle on the car

We have a Bow shackle that fits that car.

752-5/16 – M8

No pin -  no threads,  hole Ø  8,5 mm

(fits the pin in the car. I dry-fitted it on a similar car we have in stock)

Shackle is actually of the HR quality which is some 30-40% stronger than a standard

Net price             $16.40

It does not have the bar, that is Amel specific modification. So far it works fine.
I was concerned using the one with the broken welding. But you could potentially just get a matching shackle from Budget Marine and have David drill out the thread an weld the extra bar in.
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417
currently in Jolly Harbour Antigua