Topics

Main Sail Outhaul and Furling Gearbox Bonfiglioli VF44P1-70 P63 B14 B3


Bill Shaproski
 

I have a Super Maramu from 1995 OO30017SM141.  The mainsail furling gearbox apparently failed and needs replacement.  The desision to remove the unit was made by my maintenance guy since I am on the west coast and the boat is on the east coast.  I ordered a new one and when it arrived it was not from Bonfiglioli and was not interchangeable.  I haven't been able to find one that could be delivered by 20 June which is when I need to have it.  Does anyone have a serviceable gearbox they want to sell or know where I could get one deliverd to Florida by 20 June?

Thanks in advance for any help.  

Regards
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool 
  • 206-375-2787


Ian Townsend
 

Contact:

MITCH SILVERMAN
DRIVETECH AUTOMATION, INC.
5401 NW 102ND AVE.  #146
SUNRISE, FL. 33351
TEL: 954-746-9800
FAX: 954-746-5509
WEBSITE: WWW.DRIVETECHONLINE.COM


Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II 
SM153

On Jun 7, 2020, at 5:17 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:

I have a Super Maramu from 1995 OO30017SM141.  The mainsail furling gearbox apparently failed and needs replacement.  The desision to remove the unit was made by my maintenance guy since I am on the west coast and the boat is on the east coast.  I ordered a new one and when it arrived it was not from Bonfiglioli and was not interchangeable.  I haven't been able to find one that could be delivered by 20 June which is when I need to have it.  Does anyone have a serviceable gearbox they want to sell or know where I could get one deliverd to Florida by 20 June?

Thanks in advance for any help.  

Regards
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool 
  • 206-375-2787


Bill Shaproski
 

Ian & Margaret,
Thanks for the contact.  I had ordered from them previously, but last time they told me I had gotten the last one they had.  I'll try again.  Thanks!

Regards
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 7:13 PM Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:
Contact:

MITCH SILVERMAN
DRIVETECH AUTOMATION, INC.
5401 NW 102ND AVE.  #146
SUNRISE, FL. 33351
TEL: 954-746-9800
FAX: 954-746-5509
WEBSITE: WWW.DRIVETECHONLINE.COM


Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II 
SM153

On Jun 7, 2020, at 5:17 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:

I have a Super Maramu from 1995 OO30017SM141.  The mainsail furling gearbox apparently failed and needs replacement.  The desision to remove the unit was made by my maintenance guy since I am on the west coast and the boat is on the east coast.  I ordered a new one and when it arrived it was not from Bonfiglioli and was not interchangeable.  I haven't been able to find one that could be delivered by 20 June which is when I need to have it.  Does anyone have a serviceable gearbox they want to sell or know where I could get one deliverd to Florida by 20 June?

Thanks in advance for any help.  

Regards
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool 
  • 206-375-2787



--
Bill Shaproski
Cell:  +1-206-375-2787


Craig Briggs
 

Bill,
You might also try Bonfiglioli USA /3541 Hargrave Dr;/ Hebron, KY 41048/ 859.334.3333.  I believe that Mitch at Drivetech simply orders from them.

Do note that Amel modified it a bit by grinding off the cooling fins and drilling a slightly different hole pattern on the mounting plate, which you'll have to do, too. Any chance that is what your maintenance guy was seeing? (Although you did note he said it was not Bonfiglioli brand.) Where in FL is your boat?

Good luck with it.
Craig


Bill Shaproski
 

Thanks for the info.  I ordered 2 new units from Drivetech 5 years ago and they had the fins intact and did not require any additional rework other than protective coatings.   I also just ordered one from Radwell in Willingboro NJ which looks like the same ones from Drivetech, but I don't get to the boat until Friday to do a fit check.  But I'm confident it's the same.  I also just ordered one from Ameritec in South Carolina and they sent a knockoff from China which was completely wrong and took hours of back and forth emails to determine it was wrong.  Now I'm trying to get them to give a refund.
I now have one being sent from a small village in the south of Holland which is used.  It should arrive by Thursday and I leave for Fort Lauderdale on Friday.  I'll let you know what I find out.  
I'll put together an email with the contact info for all the various outfits I have that sell this part.  I have two others to provide.  Other cruisers may find it helpful.
My advice is to always have two available as spares if one plans to be doing any offshore sailing.  BTW  you need to finish the units with two coats of Zinc Chromate primer and two coats of a good enamel.  You might also consider applying alodine prior to the primer.  
Regards
Bill Shaproski

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 7:32 AM Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,
You might also try Bonfiglioli USA /3541 Hargrave Dr;/ Hebron, KY 41048/ 859.334.3333.  I believe that Mitch at Drivetech simply orders from them.

Do note that Amel modified it a bit by grinding off the cooling fins and drilling a slightly different hole pattern on the mounting plate, which you'll have to do, too. Any chance that is what your maintenance guy was seeing? (Although you did note he said it was not Bonfiglioli brand.) Where in FL is your boat?

Good luck with it.
Craig