Mainsail furler gasket.

Gregory Dmitriev

Hi guys,
Does somebody know how important can be the damage of this gasket?

Mark McGovern

It can be a complete disaster causing the tapered roller bearing inside the furler to rust and fail completely.  This can cause the furler to seize and make it impossible to unfurl the main sail or worse, make it impossible to furl it in.  To see if yours is damaged, drop it down to manual mode.  It should be relatively easy to turn.  If it is not, you need to tear down and rebuild the furler like I had to do.

See this post I made:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/47988

And here is the entire thread on the topic:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topic/29770769#47988

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Mohammad Shirloo

Amel suggested replacement every 2 years. Our Furler motor failed due to water intrusion  2 months after we purchased kokomo. The motor could not be repaired.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax

Does somebody know how important can be the damage of this gasket?

Gregory Dmitriev

Thx guys!
This is a great set of advices!
so,
1. Drop down the motor
2. disconnect the gearbox
3. take it out for inspection
4. replace the seal.
5. put things in place

thx again!
gd

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 2:15 PM Gregory Dmitriev <41greg.marine@...> wrote:
Thx guys!
This is a great set of advices!
so,
1. Drop down the motor
2. disconnect the gearbox
3. take it out for inspection
4. replace the seal.
5. put things in place

thx again!
gd

Mark McGovern

Gregory,

Essentially, yes.  There is a ton of information in the thread link that I sent you earlier including part numbers and sources for the parts.

Also, Woody from Mothership Adrift made a video of his rebuild:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-p8bdPpnmk

Last, consider setting up a signature in your account which contains your name, boat model, hull #, boat name, and your current location.  It will help members to better assist you with your question and if you put your location, you might even get some help in person.  If you are not sure how to do that here is a link to instructions:  https://groups.io/g/TentecArgonautVI/topic/how_to_create_an_e_signature/10289297?p=

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Gregory Dmitriev

This is great! Thx!

Gregory Dmitriev

Guys,
just wandering why there is no similar seal between the gearbox and motor.

any reasons?

thx,

gd

Gregory,

Not everyone knows that you have an Amel 54. And, not all Amel 54s have the motor that you have. A54 #172 was built late in the production of the 54 and has the same furling motor as A55s. Earlier 54s had the same furling motor as SMs.

All of the following is copied from my Amel Book:

image.png

The issue is that when water enters the top of your motor, it will ruin the motor and a replacement costs over 2000 euro. According to SAV, there is no possibility of rebuild when this happens, although I believe someone posted here that they were able to rebuild. If so, I am sure it depends on how much saltwater damage.

Amel suggests that the top seal of the furling motor should be changed every 2 years. This seal is less than 10 euro. The motor is more than 2000 euro, but more than half of Amel owners do not change this seal every 2 years.
image.png

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM Gregory Dmitriev <41greg.marine@...> wrote:
Guys,
just wandering why there is no similar seal between the gearbox and motor.

any reasons?

thx,

gd

Wolfgang Weber

1.) I replaced the ball bearing  of the gearbox with capsulated SKF Explorer 6005-2RSH in June 2015 - no services needed or problems after that time.
2.) I protect the top /sealing of the furler motor with silicon grease and an extra rubberring.

Wolfgang Weber  SY Elise Amel 54#162  La Rochelle

Gregory Dmitriev

Hi guys,
the worst assumptions came to be true.
bearings, gaskets and seals of gearbox are dead.
does anybody know if there are issues of replacement of both bearings ? Still - aluminum contact? Stainless bearings?

I didn’t open the motor yet, So, expect the worst.

It was just a luck that problems didn’t appear in the passage of 1700 miles.

Gregory

I think your 54 is no 172. You will need to get the gearbox and motors from Amel. The motor you have is considered non-repairable.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 7:45 AM Gregory Dmitriev <41greg.marine@...> wrote:
Hi guys,
the worst assumptions came to be true.
bearings, gaskets and seals of gearbox are dead.
does anybody know if there are issues of replacement of both bearings ? Still - aluminum contact? Stainless bearings?

I didn’t open the motor yet, So, expect the worst.

It was just a luck that problems didn’t appear in the passage of 1700 miles.

Gregory Dmitriev

Hi Wolfgang,
how did you protect the contact between still bearing and aluminum case?
thx!

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Gregory,
I used Tef-Gel from Tikal. Yes,  it would be interesting to see how it looks like after 5 years.
Wolfgang