Topics

Mainsail manual furler lubricant

karkauai

Hi all,
I hope everyone is staying healthy and enjoying where ever you are locked down.

Iris and I were headed to Panama when everything shut down. After 2 weeks in Antigua and no end in sight, we sailed back to St Michaels, MD. We had to heave-to 3 times to wait for fronts to pass with 30+ kt N winds before we could get across the Gulf Stream. 17-day passage, counting hove-to time.

We are home again and I am working on some previously neglected items.  I've removed the manual furler from the main sail foil to find the foil's circumference about 30% eroded by the bolt.  Thanks for the heads-up on that issue.
The gearbox was a little stiff, so I've disassembled it for cleaning and replacing the seals.  Pat (Shenanigans) did a nice write-up which Bill R has reproduced in his book. Thanks!

After 20 years, the gearbox was in great shape with no water intrusion, and no leakage of lubricant out of the gearbox. It was full of a lubricant that is much thinner than grease, but thicket than motor oil.  Does anyone know what lubricant was used?

Thanks for any insight.
Kent and Iris
Kristy
SM 243

Craig & Katherine Briggs

Edited

Hey Kent and Iris - welcome back to America!

As Robbie Burns wrote, "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men Gang aft agley"
- sounds like you're one of many with cruising plans changed due to C-19. Hopefully you'll be able to get out there in the not-too-distant future.

Regarding your furler gearboxes, there's a thread from 2016 you can search for more discussion, but Bonfiglioli ships their's with Shell Tivela S320 and calls it "lifetime" lubrication, with a 25,000 hour life. There are many equivalent Industrial Synthetic gear oils out there that a google search will bring up.

That being said, our application with infrequent short duration use really doesn't demand the hi-tech oil.  Perhaps more importantly, the harsh environment with risk of sea water intrusion past the lip seals may argue for the addition of Zerk fittings enabling frequent greasing that many of us have done. That you've had years with no water intrusion is great so you may want to choose to continue as is - no "right" answer.

Cheers,
Craig - if the Covid subsides we may scoot up your way - will let you know.

karkauai

Thanks Craig.  As great as it looks after 20 years, I'll try the gear oil again.

We may sail up to Maine in July/Aug if Iris' new capn&crew are working out OK and the post-covid season allows.

Hope to see you before or after that.

Hi to Katherine.
Kent & Iris
Kristy