Topics

Mainsail outhaul on 54

ngtnewington Newington

Now I know this idea will be criticised by many but....

I have found that the electric motor for the outhaul on the mainsail is less powerful than I would like. It is fine in light winds but in heavy airs after reefing I often need just a bit more outhaul. I have to completely de-power the main to set the outhaul and then sheet in. This if fine and it works, but in really strong winds that motor just would not have the grunt.
So my idea is to fix a single pulley to the aft side of the outhaul and run the line through that and back to the Aft end of the boom instead of it terminating at the outhaul car.
This would give 2:1 purchase on the outhaul. Obviously when setting and putting away the sail one would need to do more outhaul button pushing than foil rolling.
I believe this would be an improvement and would only cost one block and 15m of 10mm dyneama and an easy experiment to try.
Has anyone tried this?

Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Lakki, Leros GR

Arno Luijten

Hi,

I'm not sure how that would work. You would need to put the purchase on both sides of the outhaul to keep keep the line speed the same on both sides of he outhaul. That would give you even more problems putting enough tension on the line to prevent it from slipping the line tender. Apart from not having enough space on the boom to do this I think.

Regards,

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Stefan Schaufert

Hi Nick,

yes we did this for some weeks. This is my emergency scenario if the outhaul doesn't work.
It works well (stronger then the electric motor), but it is not that comfortable (extra sheet, occupied winsch ...).
I recommend to disconnect the outhaul when you use the sheet.

Best regards
Stefan
A 54 #119 Lady Charlyette, Aruba

Stefan Schaufert

Sorry Nick,

I understood your question wrong.
I thought you want to do it without the outhaul motor - so by hand.