From: Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Aug 26, 2021 12:11 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mainsheet traveller Broken on SM#72

We just broke the attachment point on our mainsheet traveller during our passage from Seattle to San Francisco. We  have SM #72 with the original style track and traveller. Amel changed to a different style system shortly after our boat was built, and changed again with the SM2000. I cannot find any markings on the traveller indicating who’s product it is, and also who would of made the track. I guess the choices would be Goiot, Lewmar, or Antal. Do any of you experts out there know who made these early systems? I bet Olivier, Bill R, or Joel would know.
We are on our way south, and need to get this sorted out quickly. I suspect due to the age of everything, I may need to replace the track with something more modern. Have any of you ever removed your track from one of the older hulls like mine? How difficult was it to get the screws out. My understanding is the screws are tapped into a steel plate inside the deck. Is this assumption correct? I’m guessing with stainless screws through an aluminum track into a steel plate, I’m likely to shear most of the screws off trying to get them out.
Any advice on how to repair or replace my traveller system would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to get the help of a rigger, but all the ones I’m finding seem to be busy for months, and I may be on my own with this. I’ll attach a few pictures of the broken traveller, and what it looked like prior to failure. The attached blocks with soft shackles are something I added recently when the sheaves on the stainless attachment piece fell apart.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Alameda, CA

Stephen Davis

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your help. I’m curious to see what you traveller system looks like. Most SMs I’ve looked at did not have my traveller system, but most of those were higher hull numbers than yours. I know the next generation of travelers they used was an Antal system, but not so sure about mine. If you could send me a picture of yours it would be great.

Steve

Steve,

Start by measuring your track. If your track size is Lewmar Size 3 (21mmX35mm), this may help you. Most of the SMs I have been on are Lewmar Size 3 track on the main traveler

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 1:55 PM Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your help. I’m curious to see what you traveller system looks like. Most SMs I’ve looked at did not have my traveller system, but most of those were higher hull numbers than yours. I know the next generation of travelers they used was an Antal system, but not so sure about mine. If you could send me a picture of yours it would be great.

Steve

Stephen Davis

Hi Bill,

Our track and car is the one you have depicted on the right and labeled as SN OEM/Lewmar. I guess this style track and traveller was used on both the SN and early SMs. Our track is an I-beam style and measures 38mm across and 34mm high. Unfortunately, this car is not in production, and I can't find anything that would fit this track size of I-beam style track. If you have any ideas where to find a replacement, please let me know. It is good to know that it is a Lewmar traveller. I ran into Dave Benjamin's old Maramu #29 "Exit Strategy" looking very neglected here in Alameda yesterday. It had a Harken traveller installed on top of the existing I-beam track which is very similar to mine. They appeared to have just drilled and tapped the existing track, and screwed the new track on top. It was not the most eloquent solution, but it did take Dave to the South Pacific and back, and still looks solid. Ultimately, all the boats with my system will experience this failure, and it would be nice to document a good fix for everyone. I'm afraid trying to remove the old track is going to shear all the screws and create a huge expensive mess. I'm using penetrating oil on the screws now, but 30 years of stainless screws going though and aluminum track into a steel plate is going to be a dicey job.

Steve

Patrick McAneny

Steve, I did not take a picture, but it does not look like yours , Mine is not shaped like a T track as the genoa track is. That track is 3/4 " high ,track edge is 1/4" thick by 11/2" wide and Antal  makes cars for that. What is the dimensions of your track ? Rather than remove the old track ,you could tap into it, and bolt new track on top of it.
Good Luck,
Pat
SM Shenanigans