Malta marina to spend the winter

Jose Alegria

I would like receive some advices about the best Malta marina to spend the winter and do some maintenance, specially Furuno and B&G electronic upgrades.

Thank you

Good winds

José Alegria
A55#003MERIT
josealegr@...
Mobile: + 351 91 866 30 37

I can recommend Matthew Agius Delicata B.Sc (Hons),
A D Yacht Services, Malta, Mob: +356 99002589 matt@...
Matt has done some amazing electronic upgrades for Yacht School Clients.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 4:47 PM Jose Alegria <Josealegr@...> wrote:
I would like receive some advices about the best Malta marina to spend the winter and do some maintenance, specially Furuno and B&G electronic upgrades.

Thank you

Good winds

José Alegria
A55#003MERIT
josealegr@...
Mobile: + 351 91 866 30 37

Bruno COTTE

I do prefer Marina di Ragusa in Sicily . Fresh underwater sources in marina and boat perfectly clean after 6 months . Safe and very correct prices . Good électronicien available plus significant sailors community in winter .

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 22 juil. 2022 à 01:45, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> a écrit :

I can recommend Matthew Agius Delicata B.Sc (Hons),
A D Yacht Services, Malta, Mob: +356 99002589 matt@...
Matt has done some amazing electronic upgrades for Yacht School Clients.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 4:47 PM Jose Alegria <Josealegr@...> wrote:
I would like receive some advices about the best Malta marina to spend the winter and do some maintenance, specially Furuno and B&G electronic upgrades.

Thank you

Good winds

José Alegria
A55#003MERIT
josealegr@...
Mobile: + 351 91 866 30 37

Bruno COTTE

And Malta is very close to update your electronics if you want it to be done there

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 22 juil. 2022 à 04:52, Bruno COTTE <cotte.bruno@...> a écrit :

[...]

I agree with Bruno regarding di Ragusa. Judy and I spent a winter there on board.

Bill

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 8:53 PM Bruno COTTE <cotte.bruno@...> wrote:
[...]

Gary Wells

We spent a summer in Malta. The main marinas were quite expensive although more convenient to the main areas for service and shopping.

We spent our time at the Kalkara Boatyard.
It was far less expensive and we were able to have things delivered to us.easily enough.

The good: cheaper. Friendly staff. Walking distance to a couple of eateries. Neighborhood is quite and safe although daily Fireworks are abundant :)

The ok: It did require a bus ride or taxi to get to any serious shopping. The bus system is very, very good there overall, but Kalkara is sort of out on a single line which runs every half hour or so.

The not so good: It gets rough in the storms. The marina is more closely situated to the openings in the breakwaters so when the wind and swell are right the docks will be rough.

As far as I know they ~might~ be able to haul out the boat. They had a sizeable crane with four-point attachment (which is where Amel's lifting points would shine), and I saw some bigger boats in the yard... but I don't know if the ketch rig would prevent them from lifting. So, I'm going with a reserved "probably not" on getting a haul out.

We did find that there are a lot of service providers in the area tho. Most would have mobile services.
.
Did I mention that it could get rough there?  :).