Topics

Mango fuel filter question

Arlo

Hello there. So I am.looking to change my fuel filters (routine service) and I  have no idea what the original Amel fuel system used for this filter. I have already changed the one on the engine but not this little gem...I have a Mango. Any ideas ? It is attached to the tank selector valve

Arlo

Engine is a perkins 4.236.

James Alton

Arlo,

   This looks like the same CAV filter used on my 1987 Maramu. Here is a link showing the CAV filter for comparison to yours:https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-4236-fuel-filter-assembly/  To change the filter you remove the rusty center bolt at the top of the housing and the lower components fall away.  You will want a container and lots of paper towels under the assembly during the filter change since the bowl is probably full of fuel.  On my boat, the fuel is gravity feed so very important to also turn off the shutoff valve at the tank!  There are 3 rubber sealing rings to change that should come with the replacement filter.  You need to be really careful to insure that the upper gasket is properly inserted and not rolled over etc. or you will have a leak.  The NAPA #3166 fits my filter assembly.

Best of luck,

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Sep 14, 2020, at 12:38 PM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

Hello there. So I am.looking to change my fuel filters (routine service) and I  have no idea what the original Amel fuel system used for this filter. I have already changed the one on the engine but not this little gem...I have a Mango. Any ideas ? It is attached to the tank selector valve <20200914_094926.jpg><20200914_094918.jpg>

Craig Briggs

Edited

Hi Arlo,
That looks like a filter but it is actually a Perkins pre-filter water separator (no filter inside). It has two wires coming out the bottom from a "fuel sedimenter sensor" that activates your water-in-diesel alarm. For maintenance just pop it open and clean it out. Check the wire connections while you're at it. For fun you can put some water on the sensor and see if your alarm goes off.
Cheers --
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

James Alton

Arlo,

  My apologies.  After taking a closer look, I think that Craig is correct that what you have is a fuel water separator that does not have a filter inside.  I was looking at the top portion of your photo which looks identical to the filter housing that I have on my boat but the bottom part of yours does look different than mine.   I believe that this link shows what you have:  https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/drive-force-cav-fuel-separator-45lph-alloy-bowl-302005

Best,

James Alton

On Sep 14, 2020, at 12:38 PM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

Hello there. So I am.looking to change my fuel filters (routine service) and I  have no idea what the original Amel fuel system used for this filter. I have already changed the one on the engine but not this little gem...I have a Mango. Any ideas ? It is attached to the tank selector valve <20200914_094926.jpg><20200914_094918.jpg>

smiles bernard

Hi there
Yes I also have one in my maramu + Perkins M65
Just a water filter & no cartridge to replace
On our boat this then leads to a dual spin on primary filter unit and then finally onto the secondary Engine mounted filter
I just drain it occasionally into a glass jar and see what’s lurking in the bowl. So far it’s always been clean btw.
All the best
Miles

On 14 Sep 2020, at 20:00, James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi James & Arlo,
It's not an issue as I don't think Arlo is looking for a replacement, but the CAV unit James linked is quite different and doesn't have the "sedimenter sensor"  as the Perkins version does. These units are actually labeled as Perkins parts with their blue logo (certainly manufactured for Perkins). I suspect they are discontinued, but any brand with an electric sedimenter sensor would work if you needed it.
Cheers, Craig -- SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Arlo

Once again, this group  is awesome, and I appreciate the quick info. I will check it tomorrow and see how the fuel looks. So I only have 1 spin on filter on the engine then. So this begs the question of adding a Racor 500FG so that I can have a primary filter on the bulkhead with a visual on fuel quality and a fuel vacuum gauge as an indicator of filter condition before it gets to the secondary filter on the engine. I had this setup on my previous Ford Lehman and it worked like a champ. I also had an inline electric fuel pump that I used to prime the Racor when changing filters.

Any thoughts?

Craig Briggs

Hi Arlo,
My two cents.

If I recall correctly, your original post said you were simply wanting to do routine maintenance of changing the fuel filter and you wondered if the water separator was another filter (it is not).  You did not mention having had any problems. If so, why complicate things by adding another (redundant) filter and a gauge (or another pump for priming or even a fuel polishing system)?

Seems you might just follow the "kiss" principle, clean out the water separator, change the primary filter, and be happy. Of course, you can do anything you choose but, frankly, I see no particular advantage to complicating what Amel originally installed.
--
Cheers, Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Arlo

Edited

Hello Craig. good advice, and I have made sure that about 99 percent of what is on my Amel is the same setup as the original where possible.. ;-)

I am used to having a visual indicator of fuel condition and filter condition at a moments glance. I had the RACOR 500MA and pressure gauge  on my last vessel which I could always visually check before entering a port or leaving port. I recently had an incident where I was delivering a 60 foot  2018 Beneteau and the owner is very meticulous with his maintenance. We were 4 miles from entering the  harbor when the boat powered back on its own and eventually stalled. It ended up being a clogged fuel filter. We changed the filter and went along our way, but if that had happened 4 miles later, we would have been adrift in a busy seaport until we could raise sails if there was room... So if it can happen on a new boat with a owner that just changed his fuel filter a few months prior it reminded me that I really do not know what my fuel in the tanks look like or the filter condition until after there is a problem..

So that was the genesis of my thought process, But I do agree that Henry got it right and simpler is better as eventually everything will need maintenance and is subject to failure...