Topics

Many Yanmar owners can eliminate the fuel filter with the warer sensing wiring.

eric freedman

If you have a 4jh Yanmar engine and your instrument panel does not have a light to indicate you have water in the filter

you can eliminate the expensive filter, wiring,  and sensor. The only purpose of that sensor is to indicate you have water in the filter. I eliminated that setup from my new engine and added the one shown in the photo. It is so much easier to  change without the wiring.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Mark Pitt

Eric,

I have never had water in my fuel filter, perhaps as a result of my fuel polishing system, and would like to eliminate the wiring and sensor.  Don't I need a different setup under the filter?  Where would one get that?

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM#419, Rhode Island, USA

On 2/21/2021 3:42 AM, eric freedman wrote:

If you have a 4jh Yanmar engine and your instrument panel does not have a light to indicate you have water in the filter

you can eliminate the expensive filter, wiring,  and sensor. The only purpose of that sensor is to indicate you have water in the filter. I eliminated that setup from my new engine and added the one shown in the photo. It is so much easier to  change without the wiring.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I believe that all Yanmars installed in Amels originally had a water sensor in the fuel filter assembly. This sensor does two things. It eventually cuts off the supply of fuel to the injection pump and it lights up the Yanmar Panel Oil Lamp. The wiring to the sensor which is on the bottom nut of the fuel filter has a junction connection that should be unplugged when changing the fuel filter.

image.png

Changing the fuel filter with a water sensor:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:32 AM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark,

You just unplug the sensor and unscrew the filter. Then bring it to a Yanmar dealer and get the filter without the sensor as in my photo.

Where is your boat now?

[...]

Hi Bill,

Yes they do come with a water sensor in the filter. However if the sensor is not hooked up  to a lamp

as in the case of both my  engines they are only set up to light a lamp which is not on my panel. In your quote from

Yanmar they are referring not to a fuel shutoff , they are referring to trying to run an engine with water in the filter.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I believe that all Yanmars installed in Amels originally had a water sensor in the fuel filter assembly. This sensor does two things. It eventually cuts off the supply of fuel to the injection pump and it lights up the Yanmar Panel Oil Lamp. The wiring to the sensor which is on the bottom nut of the fuel filter has a junction connection that should be unplugged when changing the fuel filter.

image.png

Changing the fuel filter with a water sensor:

image.png

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.

[...]

   Thanks for the info.  The boat is at the Safe Harbor Wickford Marina in Wickford (North Kingstown), Rhode Island.

  Best,

   Mark

On 2/22/2021 5:20 PM, eric freedman wrote:

[...]

Eric, the Yanmar manual clearly says that the Oil Lamp (Oil Pressure) will come on. In my experience, as it was originally wired, this is true.

Bill

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 9:26 AM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

rossirossix4

Hi Eric,
So on our stock Amels, where is the lamp for water in the filter?
Bob    KAIMI SM429

eric freedman

Bill,

That is correct.

If the Oil pressure is low the Oil pressure gauge will indicate low pressure and idiot light will come on.

However the B panel which most Amel’s have does not have an idiot light for water in the fuel filter.

If you look at the wiring diagram you will see that the panel does not show a light for water in the filter.

I just called Mack Boring and also Mastry engines in Fla. They both said the water light is only on the C panel.