maramu and santorin owners - what size dinghy do you have an where do you store

Eric Meury

Dinghy choices....and storage.  the boat came with a fiberglass carib and found it a bit heavy -  tried a portaboat - crap ...the folding transom fell part.   so back to lookint at ribs.  what size rib do you own and other than davits are where are you storing it and what comprimises are you making in your dinghy/storage selection.

Ian Park

Eric
I have a Highfield Ultralight 270 (aluminium hull) with a 15hp 2 stroke. The book says max 9.9hp but that’s a 4 stroke which is the same weight. I got the Hypalon version.
Stored inverted on the foredeck, deflated when going any distance. Easy to lift over the side on a halliard single handed. I have a cheap Li Lo electric pump which plugs into the 12v socket in the forward heads. Does most of the work quite quickly then a few pumps to get necessary tube pressure.
My boat already had four small ‘U’ bolts fitted in the sides of the coachroof which accommodate a couple of ratchet straps, so security is fine.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Dennis Johns

Hi Eric,

I just replaced my 16 year old Mercury 270 Air Deck Hypalon with a Zodiac Cadet Aero Series Inflatable Boat | Cadet 270 Aero 2020.  I think the Mercury lasted so long because I rolled it up and stowed it in a bow locker when not using it daily.  It is only a four man dinghy (three adults and a smaller person) but it does fit nicely in one of the bow deck lockers and only takes up space on the bow when in an anchorage.  The inflatable floor worked well for about ten years, then developed a leak that could not be repaired.  In Croatia I had a plywood floor fabricated that replaced it nicely.  I went with the Zodiac this time because I don't plan to be in the tropics anymore, so the extra cost of hypalon does not seem worth it.  If the inflatable floor goes away again, I think the floor I had made for the Mercury will replace it.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu 121

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 5:09 AM Eric Meury <ericmeury@...> wrote:
Dinghy choices....and storage.  the boat came with a fiberglass carib and found it a bit heavy -  tried a portaboat - crap ...the folding transom fell part.   so back to lookint at ribs.  what size rib do you own and other than davits are where are you storing it and what comprimises are you making in your dinghy/storage selection.

Andy Croney

Hi Eric, we have a Ribeye TS280 RIB , we have Davits so for short trips we lift it - for longer passages it sits on the aft cabin top .
All the best without decisions.

Andy
Maramu’s 8#75
SV Paladin

Eric Meury

Ian  do you have the 15 or 17 inch tubes and do you mean the 290...i think they only made a 260 and a 290?

Herbert Lackner

Hi Eric,

we use a 3D Tender 270 Hypalon Ultra Light (39kg). It fits perfect on the aft cabin top fully inflated, and we are very happy with the decision.  During passages the dinghi on the aft cabine makes the cockpit even more "cosy" and gives extra protection.
We use a light 9,8 Tohatsu 2-stroke engine (25kg), very fast and also good with some waves.

https://www.nootica.de/schlauchboot-3d-tender-ultra-light-rib-hypalon-270.html

herbert

SN120

Alejandro Paquin

Good morning,
We have a 9 foot Caribe dinghy with fiberglass single bottom. Stored on top of the aft cabin while underway and towed in calm waters. While at the marina it sits also on top of the aft cabin, but some other Maramu owners I´ve seen use a spinnaker halyard to raise the dinghy from the bow and keep it forward of the main mast (semi hanging), resting on its stern. We have a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke engine with this dinghy, place on the rail while sailing. I once used a 12 foot dinghy one time, and that went on the deck forward of the main mast. It is an awkward location not very good for visibility. No davits on our boat.
--
Alex Paquin
S/V " SIMPATICO"