Maramu design #replacement

Jean-René Guichard

To all Maramu' owners, Looking for the measurements of the side windows front and rear. I am preparing a refit and need to change that as they have cracks and even with tape on it it's leaking...on top of this i will really appreciate the measurements of all deck windows (don't know the right english name for it...panneau de pont in french, including the one in the rear cabin...mine are quite old and seems to start the water coming in..

Request because boat is in Greece and due to Covid I was not able to go there the past two years.....preparing to drive down with all equipments by spring. Thanks for your help
JR

Alex BAIZEAU

Hi Jean René,

I recently replaced all the porthole windows and the best way to go about is to take them down carefully without breaking them and have them copied,

Regardless I took some rough measurements before ordering a sheet of bronze acrylic that could be large enough to accommodate all the windows (see attached drawing)

Warning: none of the windows are actually true rectangles, especially the forward ones that are really banana shaped, this drawing is not good enough for cutting.

I’m very pleased with the end result.

For the hatch lenses (Panneau de ponts) They are all “Goiot tradition”

The one in the rear cabin is part size “50.37”, spare acrylic size is 527x397mm we got one from international boat in France for ~150 euros, it might be cheaper to get it copied...

Not sure about the other ones.

Cheers
Alex

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 7:33 PM Jean-René Guichard <spd22us@...> wrote:
To all Maramu' owners, Looking for the measurements of the side windows front and rear. I am preparing a refit and need to change that as they have cracks and even with tape on it it's leaking...on top of this i will really appreciate the measurements of all deck windows (don't know the right english name for it...panneau de pont in french, including the one in the rear cabin...mine are quite old and seems to start the water coming in..

Request because boat is in Greece and due to Covid I was not able to go there the past two years.....preparing to drive down with all equipments by spring. Thanks for your help
JR

Brent Cameron

While I can’t comment on the window sizes directly, I would encourage you to get a large enough sheet to do what you need and cut it to size yourself if you at all handy.

While it is intimidating, the acrylic cuts very easily with a electric saw (fine blade) or even a grinder. A couple of quick passes with sandpaper on the edges to round them over and you’re done.

I bought a huge custom bubble canopy for my home built airplane (the canopy looks somewhat like those on a WW2 fighter) that cost me a small fortune but it came completely un-trimmed for the size i needed and I had to lop off about 1 foot (30 cms) all around it to fit the metal brackets that it was to be mounted to.

I didn’t sleep for a month leading up to that and was terrified that I was going to crack it. When the day came, I put down some masking tape on top of the clear plastic protector sheet where the cut was going, scribed my line using a marker and then cut a blade width wide of it with my Dremel saw and grinder for the right bits and a jigsaw for the wide open bits (the canopy was not a flat sheet so all sorts of compound curves in all three directions). The stuff cut like cheese and it was very easy so WAY more difficult than flat sheets for the windows in an Amel) to do but easy nevertheless.

I moved slowly and methodically and at the end felt comfortable enough to go right on the line for a perfect fit. The whole operation took about an hour (I was planning on days) and I don’t think a laser could have done a better job. I lost a lot of sleep over nothing and wouldn’t hesitate for a second to do this.

You could make cardboard templates to get the exact size for each window assuming minor deviations from the original mold and get a perfect fit. Best of all, the stuff isn’t really expensive as a raw material so you can change it out regularly as it gets scratched up or crazed from the sun. If you are concerned, buy a small sheet and experiment with it. You’ll wonder why you ever thought it was tough to do.

Drilling holes is also easy but use a dull metal bit with a variable speed drill and let it run itself (not much pressure).  Good luck!

Brent

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Jean-René Guichard

Thank you so much Alex. Goal is to pre cut with room to adjust as i won't have enough space in the car to bring an entire sheet of plexi with all the rest of the equipments needed...
Quick question. You said you have been using a bronze one..does this darken the inside, would it be better to use a real transpenrency to keep as much light as possible ??
Cheers

Jean-René Guichard

Hi Brent, absolutly, that is what I am going to do. Cut with an electric saw. I red  a lot on the internet about the process so far. Am quite confident.
None the less, any idea about the best type of plastic to use and the thikness of it ?
cheers JR

Jean-René Guichard

Alex, for the hatches, the aim is to replace all of them with low profile ones...my feet doesn't like them ... broke toes.....

Bill Kinney

Assuming that the Maramu is built similarly to her younger sister, here is what we did replacing all the windows on our Super Maramu. https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/a-new-clearer-view-of-the-world/

It was one of the more difficult projects we have undertaken.  No single step was difficult from a technical standpoint, but it was a LOT of work. As much sweat went into it, it was definitely worth it from both a cosmetic and functional standpoint.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA

JB Duler

JR,
We use acrylic (and absolutely NOT Lexan). Slightly tinted, your choice. Just google the pluses and minuses.

The panels on our cockpit roof were 6mmm and cracked. Not thick enough.

Side windows we used 8mmm and 10mm for the top hatches (the ones we step on).
Reciprocating saw or table saw, sandpaper for the edges.

Beware of the acrylic chips, they will fly everywhere. That plastic is electrostatic and sticks to your hands, arm, hair. Keep a vacuum running.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Brent Cameron

Beware of the acrylic chips, they will fly everywhere. That plastic is electrostatic and sticks to your hands, arm, hair. Keep a vacuum running.
--

This!!!  I completely forgot about that. I was covered head to toe in fine powder as I was like a big electrode that seemed to attract everything as I walked by.  Make sure you wear a protective mask as I can’t imagine it’s good for your lungs.

Brent

On Jan 28, 2022, 10:45 AM -0600, main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io, wrote:

Cheers

--