Topics

Maramu - Goiot Y-Track Mizzen Car Repair

mr_hermanns

Hey everyone!

i recently had my Mizzen sheet cars fail during a sail. The pin pull ring failed and literally one disintegrated and the other split on the same sail trip!

Ive attached photos of my ‘Dual Washer and Steel Stick JB Weld’ approach.
its one smaller washer that is fit to stop at the pins increased diameter + a heavy washer to allow for ease of movement and support (aka no bending). I used JB Weld Steel Stick after roughing up the two washers with sand paper.

$5 repair when RigRight wants $100’s for replacement parts.

See images!

--
Jeremy Hermanns - "Jer"
SVCerulean.com

Randall Walker

Jeremy,
Very nice. This is what we need, good clear pictures of what you did. I save all the how to articles. Nikimat was also one of my favorites for doing it this way.
Many new to us AMEL owners will rely on these contributions.
Simply put just telling me what you did, would for most people be. blah blah blah. So thank you.

Randall
Amel 54 #56

sbmesasailor

Jeremy,

You created a nice alternative BUT.

It looks like you used steel washers.  The original washers were aluminum as is the rest of the car.  Using dissimilar metals is inviting galvanic corrosion.  If you did use steel washers, I'd keep an eye on the assembly over the following months to see if any corrosion occurs.  If it does, it will only get worse.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121

Gerhard Mueller

I have used bronze and so was the old broken ones.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

mr_hermanns

Great point! I will source aluminum washers or bronze - thank you for the insight!
--
Jeremy Hermanns - "Jer"
SVCerulean.com