Maramu pole attachment to the mast broke off

Alex BAIZEAU

Hello everyone,

We own a Maramu rigged with the system of twin small and long poles.

The piece of stainless steel that attach the port small pole to the mast broke off while deploying the large pole. It's was held in place by rivets but they corroded away.

The rivet holes have been enlarged (see attached picture) either by corrosion or when trying to drill the rivets out so I can't just re rivet the piece to the mast.

I wonder what are my options to reattach this critical piece of equipement.

Here iare the 3 options that I've though of so far:

- Redrill 3 cmm higher or lower on the mast and re-rivet. The issue is that the small pole won't be lined up with the support ring on the standing rigging exactly how it was before

or

- Enlarge the holes and use threaded inserts - It sounds like the most robust option to me but I'm not sure if I'm capable of enlarging these holes without making a bigger mess
or

- Have the piece mounted on a larger plate so that it can be mounted at the same height than before.

I would appreciate any suggestion

Here is a picture of the piece itself:

Here are the rivet holes in the mast

Here is the back of the piece

And the starboard side for reference.

Thank you so much and have a great day

Alex Baizeau

Maramu #207 Barth

Alex,

Are you sure it is stainless steel?

If it were my Maramu, I would have larger "small-pole mounts to the mainmast" fabricated in a machine shop from Aluminum and consider welding the larger aluminum mounts to the aluminum mast, although I am not sure if that would require a thicker mast or some sort of backing plate. Of course the new aluminum mount could be riveted. The Super Maramu small-pole mounts were made of aluminum and welded to the mainmast.

Also, if you decide to have these fabricated, you might want to announce that in this Group, because I am sure that other Maramu owners would consider joining the order.

SM "small-pole mounts to the mainmast" (circled in green) are aluminum and welded to the mainmast:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 8:45 AM Alex BAIZEAU <alexandre.baizeau@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the reply. It’s shiny and heavy so I’m positive it’s stainless steel.

One other difference with the SM design is that the locking pin is not traversing, the pin is spring loaded in the lock position ( you can see it in the first picture of my original email ). You need to pull it down using the lanyard to unlock the small pole.

I’m going to take it to a machine shop here in Portimao and see what they say regarding copying it in Aluminium.

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 3:38 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Alex,

I have a somewhat similar situation on my SM. A small cleat was ripped out of the mast and it pulled out the threaded inserts. I think the holes in the mast are deformed or enlarged just enough that the same size rivnuts/threaded inserts will not fit properly. If I drill the holes larger, then I don't think the next size up bolts will fit through the cleat.

I'm still pondering how to go about this. Ideally I'd like to re-use the cleat I already have. Open to any ideas or suggestions.

I think new rivnuts/threaded inserts is the way to go but clearly that comes with its own complications. I think you could modify the holes in your mast and the holes on the plate of your pole mount (if necessary) in order to fit new rivnuts and bolts. For me, I'm not sure drilling out the holes of the small cleat is a good option. FYI, a proper rivnut tool is very helpful when installing as opposed to using nut and bolt.

The dissimilar metals in close contact may have accelerated the failure of your rivets. Try to insulate or use something like Tef-Gel when you put the new hardware in.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021, 4:32 AM Alex BAIZEAU <alexandre.baizeau@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill Kinney

Just to be clear, the "threaded inserts" are usually known in the trade as "rivnuts"  I keep a selection of them onboard, they are very handy in a lot of situations. There are fancy tools to install them, but they can be installed with a bolt and a nut, it just takes a little longer.

They are available in a range of sizes and materials.  For installation in an aluminim mast, I'd stick with the Aluminum versions.  They are a lot stronger than just tapping the mast, and they last a lot longer than pop-rivets.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA