Topics

Maramu replacement autopilot drive motor

Jacob Champness

Edited

Hi all.

I had an old Sharp drive motor on my Raymarine autopilot on Maramu #42.  It fit nicely in the space just below the Morse control on the dash, but has finally died after many years.  I then ordered the standard Raymarine Type 2 drive motor but of course it’s too deep for the compartment by about an inch.  I briefly considered cutting a hole in the bulkhead so it would fit but then it will interfere with opening the cockpit seat locker on the port side.

Has anyone dealt with this?  What drive motor did you replace the Sharp with or how did you make the Raymarine unit fit?

Thanks for any suggestions
Jacob Champness
Lark
Maramu #42
George Town, Bahamas

smiles bernard

Hi there

Our Maramu has a Raymarine type 2 with a hole cut into the door through which it protrudes.

It works well and looks ok

I find the noise of the autopilot rather tiresome though so use a Hydrovane when sailing.

All the best

Miles

Jacob Champness

Thanks!  I think we’ll do the same.