Topics

Maramu window ply interior removal

smiles bernard

Hi there fellow Amelians

Thanks to Ian on Ocean Hobo for describing how the interior ply window panels come out on his SN. Apparently remove window screws and bolts and the ply will come away with some persuasion. So in effect the window screws and through bolts hold the ply interior in place on the SN.

Does anyone on the group have direct experience of this on a Maramu? Is it the same ?

I have a troublesome leak on the main coach roof and it’s effecting the ply around the windows and damaging the veneer. Grr.

I am failing to locate the source . I think it’s from the handrail or the main hatch above the table so have tarped these and will apply a process of elimination but the answer probably lies in headliner removal

The headliner ticks under the window ply so hence the question!

I do wish Amel had used screwed into headliner panels. Seems to make so much sense for many reasons and wonder why they didn’t. Can’t imagine it was a cost cutting thing. Perhaps aesthetics but I’d trade those for simplicity. Perhaps the newer models have adopted this ?

All the best and happy sailing for those afloat

Miles
Maramu 162
In the hard !
Plymouth uk

Ian

Miles
Photo of aft cabin with the panels held in place by screwed in battens.
The original decorative battens were fewer, but I have added more to make the panels smaller and more manageable. Works well. Self adhesive Velcro makes positioning easy until the battens are screwed in place.

On 3 Nov 2019, at 21:23, smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

James Lochhead

Hi,

I removed the ply when I replaced the windows.  I have some photos but not with me.  There is a timber molding running the length of the window at the top and the bottom.  Removing that exposes nuts that go right through the window from the outside.  I will see if I can find some photos when I get home.

--

James
Maramu #147 (1984)

smiles bernard

this looks great! thanks for sharing and i like the smaller panels so might copy!
So re the headliner by the ply window trim  - did you glue this in place then replace the ply trim over the top as per the original installation?
All the very best
Miles

On Monday, November 4, 2019, 07:46:22 AM GMT, Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

Miles
Photo of aft cabin with the panels held in place by screwed in battens.
The original decorative battens were fewer, but I have added more to make the panels smaller and more manageable. Works well. Self adhesive Velcro makes positioning easy until the battens are screwed in place.
> On 3 Nov 2019, at 21:23, smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi there fellow Amelians
>
> Thanks to Ian on Ocean Hobo for describing how the interior ply window panels come out on his SN. Apparently remove window screws and bolts and the ply will come away with some persuasion. So in effect the window screws and through bolts hold the ply interior in place on the SN.
>
> Does anyone on the group have direct experience of this on a Maramu? Is it the same ?
>

> I have a troublesome leak on the main coach roof and it’s effecting  the ply around the windows and damaging the veneer. Grr.
>
> I am failing to locate the source . I think it’s from the handrail or the main hatch above the table so have tarped these and will apply a process of elimination but the answer probably lies in headliner removal
>
> The headliner ticks under the window ply so hence the question!
>
> I do wish Amel had used screwed into headliner panels. Seems to make so much sense for many reasons and wonder why they didn’t. Can’t imagine it was a cost cutting thing. Perhaps aesthetics but I’d trade those for simplicity. Perhaps the newer models have adopted this ?

> All the best and happy sailing for those afloat
>
> Miles
> Maramu 162
> In the hard !
> Plymouth uk

Ian

Yes, glued under the edge line of the wood then replaced it. I shaved the foam off the back of the vinyl that was behind the wood to ensure a good fit with the window again.
Ian