Topics

Mast cosmetic

Bernd Spanner

Hi, I have some „bubbles“ in my mast around some old rivets and holes.
Two questions:
1. How can I close the holes (drilling the old rivets out or better close them with new rivets?)
2. I would like to repaint the mast. At least the lower half. Any recommendations about primer, 1or2 comp colors, RAL code etc on a SN 1995.
Thanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

John Clark

Hi Bernd,
    I used the color "Renault Panda White 348"   for SM #37 (1990)   I had a local auto paint store make the color (their code was 53-1704591-A) and put it into spray cans.  Total cost was about $50 USD for four cans. Color match is perfect.

As to primer...   I had been using a green metal primer that states it is apropriate for aluminium.  I have had good experience with it on the mast and booms however, for the Bonfiglio furler gearboxes the primer bubbled and is flaking off after two years.  I don't know if it was poor surface prep on my part or some interaction with the metal.  I recently repainted them and used a gray metal primer.  So far it looks ok.

One place to check for corrosion on the masts is behind the winches.  I repainted there last year after I rebuilt the winches.  One older SM I visited had severe corrosion on the winch mounting plates.  Keeling them clean and coated will prevent that.

Regards,  John
SV Annie SM 37
Brunswick GA

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 1:11 PM Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:
Hi, I have some „bubbles“ in my mast around some old rivets and holes.
Two questions:
1. How can I close the holes (drilling the old rivets out or better close them with new rivets?)
2. I would like to repaint the mast. At least the lower half. Any recommendations about primer, 1or2 comp colors, RAL code etc on a SN 1995.
Thanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

John,

I am not 100% sure of this, however, I think you are absolutely correct about the Renault paint for early SMs, but I believe that Amel later changed to AwlGrip. This is what I have:
The type is 00B006G (also known as White Amel No 3).
The hardener is 000G3010 known as AWLCAT2
The thinner is 000T0001
The RAL color code is 1013

I believe that they are probably the same color, but not positive.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 12:26 AM John Clark <john.biohead@...> wrote:
[...]

I am not sure either.  I got the Renault 348 paint code from the forum.  I tried it and found it was a match.
That said, Amel has been making boats for decades now...so it would not surprise me if they employed different paint suppliers with similar colors from time to time.