Topics

Mast painting Amel Super Maramu

Jarek Zemlo

Hello to Everyone

After searching for almost 1,5 years I found my AMEL SM. Last week I became proud owner of AMEL SM 201. I am going through some repair work at the moment and look for advice regarding mast paint. There are several places where paint is showing corrosion underneath. Is it best to strip the mast to bear aluminium or better sand lightly the paint, repair corrosion and paint over the old well prepared paint layer?

Also have doubt if I should replace the mast foot pads. They look very good and no cracks (see picture), but maybe too old and shoud be replaced?

Look also for contact details to AMEL spare parts service in Europe (France preferably).

Still searching for a name, once is done will all let you know.
Thank you all in advance

Best regards

Jarek Zemlo

Jarek Zemlo

Is it possible to order plastic sail protection that rans along the mast where sail is entering the mast?

Missing pictures of my mast foot pads
--

Jean-Pierre Massicotte

Hello I bought 7 years ago a Santorin, i did drop the 2 mast down and treated the corroded area and repaint both mast. Now after those years and a cruise around the world the 2 masts still look very good. I did not change at the time the pad since there where no crack or visible damage. I believe the old pad are more durable than the newer version.
Congratulations and enjoy your Amel.

Regards

Jean Pierre Massicotte
S/V Vanille , Santorin # 51

On Mon., Dec. 2, 2019, 12:06 Jarek Zemlo, <zemlo.jarek@...> wrote:
[...]

Jean Pierre Hello,
thank you. Did you strip the entire paint to aluminium or just repaired corroded areas and left the good paint on place?
I think of repair corroded spots, thereafter sanding the entire mast and paint on top of the old sanded paint.

Best regards
Jarek
--
Jarek Zemlo

Patrick McAneny

Jerek, Many years ago I did just that, sanded the corroded spots , primed them then lightly sanded (320 grit) the mast and repainted with Awlgrip . I can't imagine the work in order to sand all the paint off the entire mast , it is entirely unnecessary assuming the paint is bonded to the mast. Be sure to clean the mast well and be sure to remove any wax that may be on the paint.
Good Luck,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

thank you. Did you strip the entire paint to aluminium or just repaired corroded areas and left the good paint on place?
I think of repair corroded spots, thereafter sanding the entire mast and paint on top of the old sanded paint.

Best regards
Jarek
--
Jarek Zemlo

Jean-Pierre Massicotte

Hello, no I did not strip the masts, booms and spreaders to bare aluminum. Just carefully treated the corroded area and then re-paint all. Care full prep is required when painting aluminum, don't skip any step according to the paint system you are using and you will have beautiful masts again.

Careful prep is required for a good looking and lasting finish. There will be always some area prone to electrolysis that will need retouching, make sure to isolate your winchs and all stainless with Teflon washers and used isolating paste when mounting anything to aluminium, that will help for future dismantling and reduce the electrolysis effect and paint damage.

Have fun, hope this help

Jp, Vanille, SN 51

On Tue., Dec. 3, 2019, 08:26 Jarek Zemlo, <zemlo.jarek@...> wrote:
Jean Pierre Hello,
thank you. Did you strip the entire paint to aluminium or just repaired corroded areas and left the good paint on place?
I think of repair corroded spots, thereafter sanding the entire mast and paint on top of the old sanded paint.

Best regards
Jarek
--
Jarek Zemlo