What I’m most interested in is any modifications done to the tubes, end pieces or complete replacement of the Duo 100 membrane setup to deal with too many leaks.

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 21 Apr 2020, at 06:31, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Jean-Pierre,
Did you have white colored end caps? If you did not and have the black end caps,
what modifications did you do to the new end caps?
Fair Winds
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Germain Jean-Pierre
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 2:16 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] ZOOM Meeting Technical Questions: #ZOOM

Hello Bill,

I’d like to address the subject of the Dessalator membrane holders.  I consider them under engineered, especially the end caps.  (Duo60 and Duo 100 models)

I’ve had a NZ shop replicate the end caps but due to Covid-19, I’ve been unable to pickup the parts and complete a change over.

Has anyone modified the tubes or manufactured a different type of membrane system?

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, New Zealand.

On 21 Apr 2020, at 05:41, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

For those planning to attend the ZOOM meeting, please post questions to the Topic " ZOOM meeting technical questions" by replying to this email.

Tilo Peters will likely respond to these technical questions.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School

720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970
<image001.jpg>

FYI, Dessalator originally made the membrane tube end caps out of white nylon. Emek copied Dessalator. Dessalator's choice of Nylon proved to be the wrong choice. Dessalator later made end caps from a harder material which was black. I am not sure of what the black material is, but, in my experience is that there have been very few issues with the Dessalator black end caps.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Bill,

Thanks.  I also took the entire holder to the shop… to verify the interior measurements.  I suspect the new ones will be made to a closer tolerance.

Dessalator after sales service has been non existent.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain

On 21 Apr 2020, at 06:51, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

FYI, Dessalator originally made the membrane tube end caps out of white nylon. Emek copied Dessalator. Dessalator's choice of Nylon proved to be the wrong choice. Dessalator later made end caps from a harder material which was black. I am not sure of what the black material is, but, in my experience is that there have been very few issues with the Dessalator black end caps.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

JP, I sent you a private message

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Arno Luijten

I find the endcaps extremely poorly designed and made in such a way that removal because a needlessly complicated struggle. Even the black ones are silly expensive and prone to deterioration over time. The plastic becomes soft at the inside where it's exposed to salt water.

I'm sure there must be better designs for this.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi JP, have you tried the desalator agents in Auckland NZ.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 21 April 2020 at 06:55 Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin Cole

Hi all,
We had the problem of corrosion on the membrane tubes last year with exploded end caps and frame. I had called around with little help and happened to find any tubes I could find. I found that any water maker manufacturer that offered stand alone tubes works. We found some from Village Marine. Plumbing is basically the same, water in water out. Easy to do.
Kevin Cole
SV Anahita
SM2 # 276
Currently standing by on our second boat in Sausalito CA GB32 "Bout time"

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 6:20 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin and Danny,

Not hot for anything Dessalator; long bad story!

I have new end caps waiting for me.  Now, if I could find rust proof interconnects, I’d be in heaven…

:-)

Getting there slowly

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Opua, NZ

On 21 Apr 2020, at 14:00, Kevin Cole <jkcsail@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Arno,

If I keep responding like this people may think I am an "expert". I am not. Just been around for a while. Puzzled by the issues with the end caps. Mine have certainly never gone soft nor caused problems (see my previous post). As to removing them there have been a number of innovative suggestions on the forum. The best I have tried is to take a about 1,5 m to 2 m of cord. Dyneema is good, no stretch. Double it to make a loop and secure the ends on either side of the end cap with a hose clamp. Place the loop over the winch on the side of the mizzen. Holding the membrane tube in both hands with the cord slack, tug sharply. Works a treat. Last tip. As you disassemble the unit carefully mark all parts to enable correct reassembly. Saves the OH s...... moments

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 21 April 2020 at 09:33 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

I find the endcaps extremely poorly designed and made in such a way that removal because a needlessly complicated struggle. Even the black ones are silly expensive and prone to deterioration over time. The plastic becomes soft at the inside where it's exposed to salt water.

I'm sure there must be better designs for this.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Courtney Gorman

What weather routing and forecasting do you use and why?
What charts (navigation tools) do you use ?

On Apr 20, 2020, at 2:51 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

FYI, Dessalator originally made the membrane tube end caps out of white nylon. Emek copied Dessalator. Dessalator's choice of Nylon proved to be the wrong choice. Dessalator later made end caps from a harder material which was black. I am not sure of what the black material is, but, in my experience is that there have been very few issues with the Dessalator black end caps.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Courtney,

These are good, but since the choices have already been put to members in a Poll, I'll save these for the next time.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, 10:03 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
What weather routing and forecasting do you use and why?
What charts (navigation tools) do you use ?

On Apr 20, 2020, at 2:51 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

FYI, Dessalator originally made the membrane tube end caps out of white nylon. Emek copied Dessalator. Dessalator's choice of Nylon proved to be the wrong choice. Dessalator later made end caps from a harder material which was black. I am not sure of what the black material is, but, in my experience is that there have been very few issues with the Dessalator black end caps.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Arno Luijten

Hi Danny,

I made a change to the endcaps to solve this problem once and for all. I drilled 3 holes in the side of the cap, making sure not to drill too deep and ending up in the inner cavity. Then I cut some thread in the hole (M6) and put a very short bolt with a hex head in the hole using 3M 5200.
Now I have three points on the cap I put the blade of a screwdriver to and gently tap the cap from the tube.
What Desalator should have done is make the cap diameter lager then the tube diameter so you can develop some grip on the cap. Also the price is insane.
I'm a bit underwhelmed with the way this watermaker is designed, although the dual voltage thing is very clever. The control logic is well below par for the price I would say.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

hanspeter baettig

Jean-Pierre
I think it‘s unfair to broadcast such negative things about Desal, . Amel is still installing Desal Watermakers and I had very good experiances with SAV Dessalator. Mr Wagner jun. and his team is helpful and have a amazing knowledge about H2O makers.
So pls. we know us , be specific what was your problem with SAV. Maybe I can help you, cause I have a very good contact with Wagner
best
en confinité à St. Martin
Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM16

------ Original Nachricht ------
Am Montag, 20. Apr, 2020 um 20:55, Germain Jean-Pierre schrieb:

[...]

John Clark

Han, I had end caps made out of delrin in St Martin.  The machine shop is E&Msc.  It is behind Lagoonies.  The machinist made a few changes to beef them up.  I have run them now for two years with no issues.

John Clark
SV Annie. SM 37
St Thomas USVI

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020, 6:59 PM hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:
[...]

Ian Townsend

I have tried to use the Florida Dessalator service company called Multi-Tech. For those of us in North America, I would not recommend them at all. Did not return several calls or emails. Finally, I went to their location at Lauderdale Marine Center. I talked to a staff member and never got any follow-up or return call. Waste of time.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Bahamas

On Apr 21, 2020, at 6:58 PM, hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

I would highly recommend Martin Dee Jon of Dessalator. He can be reached at +34-637-890-333 or +33-607-346-511. We have always found him to be responsive and knowledgeable in the past 5 years.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

Porter McRoberts

Expensive. But I’ve had nothing but top notch support froM desalator as well. Weekends, evenings in France doesn’t matter. And fast delivery.
Porter
A54-152

On Apr 21, 2020, at 6:59 PM, hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, I echo the call to be careful when dismissing the equipment Amel has installed.

while everyone has their own experiences of a variety of Amel systems and equipment it must always be remembered that few of us are perfect, I certainly am not and our poor experience could be operator error. I have had many of those myself over the years. The water-maker is an item that we pull apart and reassemble ourselves. There are multiple chances of error. eg the 0 rings used, the 0 ring installation, the tension on the through bolts, too tight too loose, uneven. poor installation of the pipe work. over tightened, under tightened wrong flushing technique, wrong chemicals used, chemicals use in the wrong way, in my experience any chemical is unnecessary. The list of possibilities is almost endless. Even installation of the membranes the wrong way round. When we got our SM in 2008 I was terrified of the water-maker.

I took advice from the wise heads on the forum and found it quite simple and am no longer frightened of it but still approach it with caution because there are many chances of error.. However many other people on other forums have created an almost mystical aura on the subject.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 22 April 2020 at 10:58 hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

[...]

</jp.germain45@...>

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Just after buying Aquarius I had new membranes installed, and the white nylon end caps were no good, so I had them replaced them with brand new black ones from Dessalator.  Two years later in New Zealand I had to get one new one custom made because the high pressure connector that goes between the two end caps was leaking.  The end cap had several cracks at that connection.  Anyway, I think there has to be a better solution for the end caps and the tubes to hold the membranes, but the high pressure pumps from Dessalator are amazing!
Just one opinion.

Aquarius
SM2K #262
Still stuck in Phuket Thailand

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey all, not to drift the thread slightly, but my dessalator has been leaking pure product water from somewhere in the assembly I've yet to trace. It isn't coming from the two fresh water hoses that take away product water. What is left? Would a defective end cap crack cause this or more likely would spurt high pressure salt water? Or is there a seal kit that is more likely to fix the issue?
Thanks...