Mizzen backstay 54

Nick Newington

I should know this off the top of my head but…..is the diameter of the mizzen backstay for the Amel 54 8mm or 6mm?

Kind regards

Nick Newington (in the UK)

Amelia

AML 54-019 in Leros Gr.

Dominique Sery

Nick,

On my 54 (#16), it’s 7 mm for each backstay.

Dominique

Nick Newington

Thanks very much. That is why I was not sure if it was 6 or 8mm because its between the two….

Nick

On 11 Aug 2022, at 09:55, Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery@...> wrote:

Nick,

On my 54 (#16), it’s 7 mm for each backstay.

Dominique

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Nick,

in spring I made an overall check about my rigg and to be sure on "Soleil Bleu“, and we are with the „advanced“ A54 rigg.
I measured all my stays, and shrouds with a slide gauge and I remember the mizzen backstays are 8 mm.

Also all wires are in stronger diameter than the early 54´s, so we are lucky with the advanced dimensions from ACMO.
To be sure for you I would always take the bigger ones in doubt or to get in touch with ACMO.
Just my one cent.

Where in Leros you are? currently on the hard? Artemis or Evros Marina? We are in September back in Evros marina.
Would be nice to meet you..

Best and stay safe
Ulrich.
„Soleil Bleu“ / A54#088
+++

Am 11.08.2022 um 10:57 schrieb Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...>:

Thanks very much. That is why I was not sure if it was 6 or 8mm because its between the two….

Nick

On 11 Aug 2022, at 09:55, Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery@...> wrote:

Nick,

On my 54 (#16), it’s 7 mm for each backstay.

Dominique

Nick Newington

Hi Ulrich,

I do not want to change the mizzen backstays as they were new in 2017. I just want to buy a s/s clamp to fix the SSB feed wire to the isolated backstay.

I will be arriving in Leros September 8 and launching September 9 from Moor and Dock in Partheni. Then I will head down to Lakki for a few days and on to Kos where my wife arrives Sept 15. We will stay in Dodecanese until we clear out of Greece for Turkey probably from Simi and into Bozburum.

Will you be in Leros on or around Sept 10?

Kind regards

Nick

Amelia AML 54-019

On 11 Aug 2022, at 10:58, Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Sounds good, I’ll there from 3rd september.
So if you are in Lakki give me a mail or WhatsApp and we’ll meet. Great pleasure. I have lot of questions on your journey to TR. Your experience is very much appreciated 👏🌞
Best
Ulrich

Am 11.08.2022 um 12:12 schrieb Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...>:

[...]

I am in Lakki for a few days. Amelia launched yesterday. Doing a few jobs then sailing to Kos Wednesday 14th as my wife is arriving.
Let’s get together.

Nick

On 11 Aug 2022, at 13:27, Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott SV Tengah

Nick,

I can confirm that the mizzen backstay is 7mm. Not sure if you're replacing other wires, but I highly suggest going from 7mm to 8mm for the mizzen D1.

And make the main mast D1 and intermediate shroud changes that Amel did for the later A54s.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Teun BAAS

I am currently changing all rigging (standing & running) in COOMERA QLD AUSTRALIA.

The rigger was very impressed with the state of my 13 year old rigging (as well as the condition of the boat 😊)

Food for thought ONLY – below in black part of the riggers proposal:

The quote 14434 attached is for the standing rigging and is as we always quote with the assumption that the turnbuckles are re used as my opinion that generally turnbuckles have twice the lifespan as of the wire. On mast removal we can determine there current condition and recommend whether to replace or to re use. Obviously we like to replace but it is certainly an option. The attached quote is actually 5% cheaper than what we quote as standard as it was quite a bit higher than my verbal estimate when you were at my workshop.

The standing rigging quote Includes 12mm 1 x 19 Forestay, Baby stay, Main sidestays, Main lowers and upper leg of Backstay, 10mm Inner forestay, Intermediates and lower legs of backstay and 8mm Triatic, Mizzen Sidestays, Twin mizzen backstays and Aft lowers. No allowance has been made for HF Insulators in any of the rigging.

Interesting that he already included the increased stay sizes as adjusted by AMEL. I decided to go with all new RONSTAN internal turnbuckles.

Also, below, some of the dialogue with/comments of the rigger – not to “stir the pot” and/or create confusion but just something to think about. Of course I wholeheartedly agree that the AMEL 54 (as well as ALL AMELS) have an excellent (rigging) track record but that said I also agree that the strength of a chain is determined by its weakest link. In short the rigger doesn’t understand why use 12mm stays if the mast connection point/pin is only rated for weaker/lower loads.

I have been putting a lot of thought into the new rigging and the attachment to the mast and boat and matching the wire sizes that were there and what we are replacing it with.

There are 10 attachment points to the boat only allowing for Forestay, Inner Forestay, Baby stay, Lowers, Sidestays, Intermediates, Backstays, Mizzen sidestays, lowers and backstays. 5 of these are correct and or close to correct, 4 we can live with and 1 we should Increase the hole size.

There are the same attachment points on the masts obviously. 4 of these are correct and or close to correct, 3 we can live with and 3 I think are quite an issue.

All of these are OK to do at a small cost but I have 1 major concern which is the connection to the mast of the main sidestays at the top of the mainmast. They are currently welded 13mm thick alloy lugs with a 16mm hole and NO stainless ferrule fitted. If we were using the same system and welding it in we would use 22mm alloy plate, fit a stainless steel heavy wall bush and a ¾” (19mm) pin and have more area around the pin. If it was not welded we would use a 20mm plate and would actually be happy with a 16mm plate as the load is static and we would have more area around the pin. My numbers here are quite industry standard world wide.

There is no major wear and very little elongation in the holes in question and I cant explain why. I have not yet come up with what I see as a reasonable solution.

It is my opinion without doubt that the mainmast sidestay tangs must be done. There is simply NO safety factor and most certainly the weakest link. We all agree that 12mm wire size on the mainmast sidestays is correct as it is on the forestay and lowers but all connection points are different. The forestay attachment has twice the area of the sidestay attachment therefore half the working load and half the break load and both have 16mm pins. The lowers are a different arrangement and only have a 14mm pin at the upper end and 16mm pin at the lower end.

I highlighted in yellow and changed font to red as the rigger basically tells me that he is very impressed with the state of my rigging after 12 years.

Again – I only share what was discussed with the rigger; I don’t want to create/get involved/participate  in “heated” arguments hahahahahahaha. 😊

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

September 12, 2022 11:04:16