Topics

Mizzen furler


Patrick McAneny
 

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Courtney Gorman
 

Hi Pat the Mizzen furler is not greased I would try rinsing with copious amounts of fresh water maybe even soap and water first and watch what comes out of the bottom drain hole this may take care of your problem before begining a larger project.
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101


-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 8:19 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Patrick McAneny
 

Courtney, I assumed that the gearbox would have grease inside ,I know it would not be easy to open up,if it proves difficult ,I will just flush it out. However my problem is with the swivel part of the furling system,as it rotates it catches at some point and will not rotate without forcing it pass this point ,then rotates freely until catching again. I assume it must be a bad bearing or something inside causing a problem.
Thanks,
pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...>
To: sailw32@... <sailw32@...>; main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:21 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat the Mizzen furler is not greased I would try rinsing with copious amounts of fresh water maybe even soap and water first and watch what comes out of the bottom drain hole this may take care of your problem before begining a larger project.
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101


-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 8:19 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Courtney Gorman
 

Okay Pat I miss understood If there’s Nothing caught in there than you probably do need to replace a bearing


On Jun 9, 2020, at 9:39 AM, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:


Courtney, I assumed that the gearbox would have grease inside ,I know it would not be easy to open up,if it proves difficult ,I will just flush it out. However my problem is with the swivel part of the furling system,as it rotates it catches at some point and will not rotate without forcing it pass this point ,then rotates freely until catching again. I assume it must be a bad bearing or something inside causing a problem.
Thanks,
pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...>
To: sailw32@... <sailw32@...>; main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:21 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat the Mizzen furler is not greased I would try rinsing with copious amounts of fresh water maybe even soap and water first and watch what comes out of the bottom drain hole this may take care of your problem before begining a larger project.
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101


-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 8:19 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg
 

There is a document in the file section with a lot of pictures when we renovated our svivel.

Hälsningar
Ann-Sofie Svanberg
S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998


Skickat från min iPhone

9 juni 2020 kl. 14:23 skrev Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...>:


Hi Pat the Mizzen furler is not greased I would try rinsing with copious amounts of fresh water maybe even soap and water first and watch what comes out of the bottom drain hole this may take care of your problem before begining a larger project.
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101


-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 8:19 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Patrick McAneny
 

Ann-Sofie, I am guessing that is the same one documented in Bill's book and it was the furler/swivel for the genoa .I saw that and thus saw that a plug needs to be removed allowing the bearings out in order to separate the parts . It appears that the mizzen swivel is of the same design. Diane and I met you and Jonas probably five or so years ago in Prickly Bay ,hope you guys are doing well. Diane showed me your new interior,looks great.
Thanks ,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg <ann-sofie@...>
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:48 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

There is a document in the file section with a lot of pictures when we renovated our svivel.

Hälsningar
Ann-Sofie Svanberg
S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998


Skickat från min iPhone

9 juni 2020 kl. 14:23 skrev Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...>:


Hi Pat the Mizzen furler is not greased I would try rinsing with copious amounts of fresh water maybe even soap and water first and watch what comes out of the bottom drain hole this may take care of your problem before begining a larger project.
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101


-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 8:19 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Gary Silver
 
Edited

Hi Pat: 

It is unclear to me what you are referring to when you say, "the problem is in the swivel part of the furler".  
Are you unable to crank the winch handle drive more than 360 degrees?
Have you verified that something isn't holding the foil (attached to the gearbox with a bolt) from turning?

Please see this file and read it completely, https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/filessearch?q=mizzen+furler   The file you are looking for is: "Amel – Super Maramu 2000 – Mizzen Furling Gearbox Overhaul Final.doc"  before proceeding.  

The most common cause (in my experience) for difficulty turning the mizzen furling is due to "crud" build up of salt and debris on the winch handle drive-shaft within the bore of the mizzen mast.  When I was re-assembling the mizzen gearbox (having discovered that dis-assembly was completely un-necessary) I found that if the gearbox shaft (item #10 in the exploded parts diagram in my file noted above) wasn't completely seated then the bevel gears would bind.  Perhaps your shaft has backed out slightly causing this binding effect.  I doubt that, but it is worth investigating.  THERE IS NO GREASE IN THE MIZZEN FURLING GEAR BOX!!!  I suppose it is possible that there is broken tooth on the bevel gears that might lock things up but you can inspect for that by viewing the gears through the mounting bolt hole on the side of the gearbox (where the bolts that hold in the mast go).  Look at the file, separate the foil from the gearbox to assure the foil isn't binding, remove the gearbox from the mast taking care to note the order of the washers and spacers, inspect for broken teeth on the gears, remove, clean and re-install the shaft for the winch handle and only then if you still have trouble disassemble the gearbox.  That disassembly is a huge job and will yield minimal results (watched Brian on Delos do that job and destroy the end of the gearbox, requiring new parts to be machined).  Any other questions or clarification don't hesitate to give me a call  801-543-5801.

All the best, 

Gary S. SIlver
s/v Liahona 
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico


Patrick McAneny
 

Gary, I have removed the gear box and with the swivel in hand it will only rotate to a point and then there is resistant and requires effort to get it past that point,once past it turns freely almost 360 degrees and stops again until I force it by the spot. It must be an internal problem ,probably a bearing ,don't know what else it could be. I am just going to give the gearbox a good soak and spray some lub into it.
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Silver via groups.io <garysilver@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 1:04 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat: 

It is unclear to me what you are referring to when you say, "the problem is in the swivel part of the fuller".  
Are you unable to crank the winch handle drive more than 360 degrees?
Have you verified that something isn't holding the foil (attached to the gearbox with a bolt) from turning?

Please see this file and read it completely, https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/filessearch?q=mizzen+furler before proceeding.  

The most common cause (in my experience) for difficulty turning the mizzen furling is due to "crud" build up of salt and debris on the winch handle drive-shaft within the bore of the mizzen mast.  When I was re-assembling the mizzen gearbox (having discovered that dis-assembly was completely un-necessary) I found that if the gearbox shaft (item #10 in the exploded parts diagram in my file noted above) wasn't completely seated then the bevel gears would bind.  Perhaps your shaft has backed out slightly causing this binding effect.  I doubt that, but it is worth investigating.  THERE IS NO GREASE IN THE MIZZEN FURLING GEAR BOX!!!  I suppose it is possible that there is broken tooth on the bevel gears that might lock things up but you can inspect for that by viewing the gears through the mounting bolt hole on the side of the gearbox (where the bolts that hold in the mast go).  Look at the file, separate the foil from the gearbox to assure the foil isn't binding, remove the gearbox from the mast taking care to note the order of the washers and spacers, inspect for broken teeth on the gears, remove, clean and re-install the shaft for the winch handle and only then if you still have trouble disassemble the gearbox.  That disassembly is a huge job and will yield minimal results (watched Brian on Delos do that job and destroy the end of the gearbox, requiring new parts to be machined).  Any other questions or clarification don't hesitate to give me a call  801-543-5801.

All the best, 

Gary S. SIlver
s/v Liahona 
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico


Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg
 

Ofcourse I remember you and Diana!! 
Talked to Jonas and he think that the mizzen and the one on the main is similar.

But it sounds like you have managed to take it down now.

Regards to Diana! 

Regards
Ann-Sofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998.


Skickat från min iPhone

9 juni 2020 kl. 18:04 skrev Gary Silver via groups.io <garysilver@...>:

Hi Pat: 

It is unclear to me what you are referring to when you say, "the problem is in the swivel part of the fuller".  
Are you unable to crank the winch handle drive more than 360 degrees?
Have you verified that something isn't holding the foil (attached to the gearbox with a bolt) from turning?

Please see this file and read it completely, https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/filessearch?q=mizzen+furler before proceeding.  

The most common cause (in my experience) for difficulty turning the mizzen furling is due to "crud" build up of salt and debris on the winch handle drive-shaft within the bore of the mizzen mast.  When I was re-assembling the mizzen gearbox (having discovered that dis-assembly was completely un-necessary) I found that if the gearbox shaft (item #10 in the exploded parts diagram in my file noted above) wasn't completely seated then the bevel gears would bind.  Perhaps your shaft has backed out slightly causing this binding effect.  I doubt that, but it is worth investigating.  THERE IS NO GREASE IN THE MIZZEN FURLING GEAR BOX!!!  I suppose it is possible that there is broken tooth on the bevel gears that might lock things up but you can inspect for that by viewing the gears through the mounting bolt hole on the side of the gearbox (where the bolts that hold in the mast go).  Look at the file, separate the foil from the gearbox to assure the foil isn't binding, remove the gearbox from the mast taking care to note the order of the washers and spacers, inspect for broken teeth on the gears, remove, clean and re-install the shaft for the winch handle and only then if you still have trouble disassemble the gearbox.  That disassembly is a huge job and will yield minimal results (watched Brian on Delos do that job and destroy the end of the gearbox, requiring new parts to be machined).  Any other questions or clarification don't hesitate to give me a call  801-543-5801.

All the best, 

Gary S. SIlver
s/v Liahona 
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Pat,

before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Patrick McAneny
 

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to

Regards

Danny

On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
 


Patrick McAneny
 

Danny, I thought you once before suggested in a previous post to flush a swivel at the top of the mast, and I assumed there must be a swivel at the very top of the mast to keep the foil centered ,but maybe not. Ok then I will flush it well and see if that does the trick. Sorry I misunderstood what you were referring to ,first time around. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to
Regards
Danny
On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
 


 

Pat 

There is nothing at the top of the foil other than the swivel when it is hoisted to the top.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 5:57 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Danny, I thought you once before suggested in a previous post to flush a swivel at the top of the mast, and I assumed there must be a swivel at the very top of the mast to keep the foil centered ,but maybe not. Ok then I will flush it well and see if that does the trick. Sorry I misunderstood what you were referring to ,first time around. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to
Regards
Danny
On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
 


Patrick McAneny
 

Bill ,Did not know that ,I always assumed that there was something there to keep the foil centered,of course the swivel serves that purpose when the sail is hoisted. Live and learn.
Thanks,
Pat


-----Original Message-----
From: CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jun 10, 2020 8:46 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Pat 

There is nothing at the top of the foil other than the swivel when it is hoisted to the top.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 5:57 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Danny, I thought you once before suggested in a previous post to flush a swivel at the top of the mast, and I assumed there must be a swivel at the very top of the mast to keep the foil centered ,but maybe not. Ok then I will flush it well and see if that does the trick. Sorry I misunderstood what you were referring to ,first time around. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to
Regards
Danny
On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
 


 

Actually, the furled sail serves the purpose, most of the time.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:47 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill ,Did not know that ,I always assumed that there was something there to keep the foil centered,of course the swivel serves that purpose when the sail is hoisted. Live and learn.
Thanks,
Pat


-----Original Message-----
From: CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jun 10, 2020 8:46 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Pat 

There is nothing at the top of the foil other than the swivel when it is hoisted to the top.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 5:57 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Danny, I thought you once before suggested in a previous post to flush a swivel at the top of the mast, and I assumed there must be a swivel at the very top of the mast to keep the foil centered ,but maybe not. Ok then I will flush it well and see if that does the trick. Sorry I misunderstood what you were referring to ,first time around. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to
Regards
Danny
On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
 


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Pat, yes I did refer to flushing a swivel at the top but meant the one that is at the top when the sail is hoisted. I don't recall the exact wording of my post but it should have included dropping the sail to get access. 

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 10 June 2020 at 22:57 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny, I thought you once before suggested in a previous post to flush a swivel at the top of the mast, and I assumed there must be a swivel at the very top of the mast to keep the foil centered ,but maybe not. Ok then I will flush it well and see if that does the trick. Sorry I misunderstood what you were referring to ,first time around. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to
Regards
Danny
On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
 
 


Patrick McAneny
 

Danny, You can understand my confusion,knowing your athletic prowess ,it was easy for me to envision you with a hose between your teeth climbing to the top of the mast .Don't know if it is true,but just heard that NZ. is virus free, hope its true ,if not....
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 10, 2020 3:38 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat, yes I did refer to flushing a swivel at the top but meant the one that is at the top when the sail is hoisted. I don't recall the exact wording of my post but it should have included dropping the sail to get access. 
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 22:57 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny, I thought you once before suggested in a previous post to flush a swivel at the top of the mast, and I assumed there must be a swivel at the very top of the mast to keep the foil centered ,but maybe not. Ok then I will flush it well and see if that does the trick. Sorry I misunderstood what you were referring to ,first time around. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to
Regards
Danny
On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
 
 


JOHN HAYES
 

Been virus free for 20 days

We are lucky down here in the roaring 40s to be protected by a large moat.  But there is a growing economic price we are all going to pay

Stay well all

John Hayes
Nga Waka sn41 

Wellington.  (500 miles south of Danny!)


On 11/06/2020, at 8:32 AM, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:


Danny, You can understand my confusion,knowing your athletic prowess ,it was easy for me to envision you with a hose between your teeth climbing to the top of the mast .Don't know if it is true,but just heard that NZ. is virus free, hope its true ,if not....
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 10, 2020 3:38 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat, yes I did refer to flushing a swivel at the top but meant the one that is at the top when the sail is hoisted. I don't recall the exact wording of my post but it should have included dropping the sail to get access. 
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 22:57 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny, I thought you once before suggested in a previous post to flush a swivel at the top of the mast, and I assumed there must be a swivel at the very top of the mast to keep the foil centered ,but maybe not. Ok then I will flush it well and see if that does the trick. Sorry I misunderstood what you were referring to ,first time around. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to
Regards
Danny
On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
 
 


Patrick McAneny
 

John, Glad what I heard was true ,that you are virus free. The economic cost here in the US. is going to be felt for decades as well. I passed thru Wellington probably 30 years ago on my way to the South Island , which is still the most beautiful place on earth I have ever been ,hope to return one day soon
Thanks ,
Pat
SM Shenanigans .


-----Original Message-----
From: JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...>
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 11, 2020 2:16 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Been virus free for 20 days

We are lucky down here in the roaring 40s to be protected by a large moat.  But there is a growing economic price we are all going to pay

Stay well all

John Hayes
Nga Waka sn41 

Wellington.  (500 miles south of Danny!)


On 11/06/2020, at 8:32 AM, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:


Danny, You can understand my confusion,knowing your athletic prowess ,it was easy for me to envision you with a hose between your teeth climbing to the top of the mast .Don't know if it is true,but just heard that NZ. is virus free, hope its true ,if not....
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 10, 2020 3:38 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat, yes I did refer to flushing a swivel at the top but meant the one that is at the top when the sail is hoisted. I don't recall the exact wording of my post but it should have included dropping the sail to get access. 
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 22:57 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny, I thought you once before suggested in a previous post to flush a swivel at the top of the mast, and I assumed there must be a swivel at the very top of the mast to keep the foil centered ,but maybe not. Ok then I will flush it well and see if that does the trick. Sorry I misunderstood what you were referring to ,first time around. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 9:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Yes Pat  that is the one I was referring to
Regards
Danny
On 10 June 2020 at 08:28 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Danny , Its not the top swivel that is the problem, its is the swivel/car which pulls up the sail that is having a problem. I suppose I will first flush it out well before I take it apart and see if that helps. 
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 9, 2020 4:17 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mizzen furler

Hi Pat,
before you start any disassembly try this. Lower the sail and flush the swivel with copious quantities of fresh water. Despite the fact it is at the top of the mast it will have salt in it and this is a common cause of the symptoms you have. As to the manual mizzen furler gear box mine was getting so tight I feared causing damage while turning the winch handle.. I took the fiber collar off the input shaft and squirted fresh water in vigorously. I then did the same to the gearbox top and bottom.  I left the gearbox and the swivel to dry out on a sunny day and then sprayed both with silicon. Now the mizzen launches with a tug on the out haul line. No turning of the gearbox by hand the sail goes out brrrrrrrrt. The swivels on the main and head sail need the same treatment. Because they are operated electrically we are not so aware of the friction. Breakers popping during operation can be a symptom, as is the foil on the mainsail fracturing. Likewise bending of the horns on the headsail furler although there are other causes for that as well.
Kind Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl
On 10 June 2020 at 00:19 "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

I have a problem with the mizzen furler not able to rotate 360 degrees. I have determined that the problem is within the swivel part of the furler. It will rotate freely ,but then binds up and needs to be forced to be able to rotate. I need to take it off and separate the two parts , I assume the bearings have degraded . When I slide it down and off the foil will ball bearings fall out ? How are the parts separated ? Has anyone done this before. I will also try to disassemble the gearbox to clean and grease it while it is off.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans