modified stern railing on 54 to carry line drums


Martin Birkhoff
 

Hi all,

inspired by an SM we saw in La Rochelle, we modified the stern railing on our 54. It should be suitable for line drums in the future. Maybe some of you will be interested in the result (see pics). 


- The half-modified stern rail ends in the fitting of the previous centre support.

- Both crossbeam tubes can be removed

- Currently the tubes are fixed with quick release fasteners

- If necessary, the quick release fasteners can be replaced by bolts and nuts to create a very stiff connection.

- The previous cable ties only had to be shortened.


The new railing can be completely removed if necessary.

 

Regards

Martin

Mago del Sur - 54#40

currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily

 


Peter Forbes
 

Martin,

Very nice - where did you have this done?

Peter
Peter Forbes
Amel54 #035
Lymington UK

On 16 Apr 2022, at 12:05, Martin Birkhoff <mbirkhoff@...> wrote:

<IMG-20220309-WA0003.jpg>


Courtney Gorman
 

Martin can I ask about what appears to be an electric winch attached to the deck at the aft end of your boat?
Cheers
Courtney
54#101
Trippin

On Apr 16, 2022, at 7:22 AM, Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> wrote:

Martin,

Very nice - where did you have this done?

Peter
Peter Forbes
Amel54 #035
Lymington UK

On 16 Apr 2022, at 12:05, Martin Birkhoff <mbirkhoff@...> wrote:

<IMG-20220309-WA0003.jpg>





Martin Birkhoff
 

Peter,
the works were done during our by 

La Rosa Metalli SAS
Via Achille Grandi 165
97100 Ragusa
Sicily, Italia
www.larosametalli.it
+39-09325623529

The works were done very reliable and in time.
Ask for Silvano: +39-3278250055 (english and German speaking)

Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily


Martin Birkhoff
 

Courtney,

this is an Lewmar VX3 1.500 Watt. We mounted it to serve for the stern anchor. The switches are positioned just portside to the windlass. In the lazarette we added a chain chest which keeps 8 m of chain (10 mm) and some 50 m anchor line.

The idea is to use both, stern anchor and windlass, in Patagonian waters and may be in Greece too.

Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina die Ragusa, Sicily 


Peter Forbes
 

Thank you Martin.

Peter Forbes
The Old Rectory 
Farnham
Blandford
DT11 8 DE
07836 209730

On 16 Apr 2022, at 16:51, Martin Birkhoff <mbirkhoff@...> wrote:



Peter,
the works were done during our by 

La Rosa Metalli SAS
Via Achille Grandi 165
97100 Ragusa
Sicily, Italia
www.larosametalli.it
+39-09325623529

The works were done very reliable and in time.
Ask for Silvano: +39-3278250055 (english and German speaking)

Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily


Courtney Gorman
 

Thanks Martin very interesting 
Cheers 🥂 


On Apr 16, 2022, at 12:31 PM, Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> wrote:

Thank you Martin.

Peter Forbes
The Old Rectory 
Farnham
Blandford
DT11 8 DE
07836 209730

On 16 Apr 2022, at 16:51, Martin Birkhoff <mbirkhoff@...> wrote:



Peter,
the works were done during our by 

La Rosa Metalli SAS
Via Achille Grandi 165
97100 Ragusa
Sicily, Italia
www.larosametalli.it
+39-09325623529

The works were done very reliable and in time.
Ask for Silvano: +39-3278250055 (english and German speaking)

Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily


Scott SV Tengah
 

Which Fortress do you have?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Martin Birkhoff
 

It is a FX-37, weight 9,5 kg


Scott SV Tengah
 

Thanks Martin. We finally had to use a stern anchor after 4 years cruising. We deployed the port anchor (Delta, believe 31kg!) as a stern anchor using the dinghy. Not a pleasant experience and we have not yet tried to retrieve it. By the way, the rode is attached to the stern cleat but chafes on the stainless rub rail and on the hull as the boat moves around. Have you solved this?

I am considering getting a dedicated Fortress stern anchor, but wondering how much I will use it. Other than Patagonia, where do you anticipate needing it?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Peter Forbes
 

Scott,

We used our stern anchor in 2 places - the Galapagos and Hiva Oa in the Marquesas. Both due anchorages with restricted space and lots of boats which also had stern anchors. Other than that never used - but I guess if you need it once it is enough to carry one.

Peter Forbes
CARANGO 
Amel 54 035
Lymington UK
07836 209730

On 4 May 2022, at 18:48, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Martin. We finally had to use a stern anchor after 4 years cruising. We deployed the port anchor (Delta, believe 31kg!) as a stern anchor using the dinghy. Not a pleasant experience and we have not yet tried to retrieve it. By the way, the rode is attached to the stern cleat but chafes on the stainless rub rail and on the hull as the boat moves around. Have you solved this?

I am considering getting a dedicated Fortress stern anchor, but wondering how much I will use it. Other than Patagonia, where do you anticipate needing it?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Scott SV Tengah
 

Peter,

 

Good to hear that you didn’t need it too often on your circumnavigation. Which stern anchor do you have?

 

We were in Atuona, Hiva Oa last week and got lucky – the supply ship wasn’t there and we were able to stern tie to the yellow mooring buoy. Good fun trying to drop the admiral off on the buoy with a cross breeze. 😊

 

We’re in Hakahau, Ua Pou now and a stern anchor is essential for the reasons you mentioned. As an aside, a group of Outremers with the Grand Large Rally showed up and didn’t put out stern anchors. They rotated 360 with the shifty winds but thankfully left early the next morning. Note to self: rally flag means “stay away!”

 

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...>
Reply-To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 9:16 AM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] modified stern railing on 54 to carry line drums

 

Scott,

 

We used our stern anchor in 2 places - the Galapagos and Hiva Oa in the Marquesas. Both due anchorages with restricted space and lots of boats which also had stern anchors. Other than that never used - but I guess if you need it once it is enough to carry one.

 

Peter Forbes

CARANGO 

Amel 54 035

Lymington UK

07836 209730

 

On 4 May 2022, at 18:48, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Martin. We finally had to use a stern anchor after 4 years cruising. We deployed the port anchor (Delta, believe 31kg!) as a stern anchor using the dinghy. Not a pleasant experience and we have not yet tried to retrieve it. By the way, the rode is attached to the stern cleat but chafes on the stainless rub rail and on the hull as the boat moves around. Have you solved this?

I am considering getting a dedicated Fortress stern anchor, but wondering how much I will use it. Other than Patagonia, where do you anticipate needing it?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Peter Forbes
 

Yup - stay away from Rallies.

We had a light aluminium Danforth stowed on the stbd stern rail just aft of our life raft.

Chain separate in the lazerette - there seems to be time to set up whilst working out where to moor.

Peter

Peter Forbes
Carango
Amel 54 #035
lymington UK
07836 209730

On 4 May 2022, at 20:02, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:



Peter,

 

Good to hear that you didn’t need it too often on your circumnavigation. Which stern anchor do you have?

 

We were in Atuona, Hiva Oa last week and got lucky – the supply ship wasn’t there and we were able to stern tie to the yellow mooring buoy. Good fun trying to drop the admiral off on the buoy with a cross breeze. 😊

 

We’re in Hakahau, Ua Pou now and a stern anchor is essential for the reasons you mentioned. As an aside, a group of Outremers with the Grand Large Rally showed up and didn’t put out stern anchors. They rotated 360 with the shifty winds but thankfully left early the next morning. Note to self: rally flag means “stay away!”

 

From: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...>
Reply-To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 9:16 AM
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] modified stern railing on 54 to carry line drums

 

Scott,

 

We used our stern anchor in 2 places - the Galapagos and Hiva Oa in the Marquesas. Both due anchorages with restricted space and lots of boats which also had stern anchors. Other than that never used - but I guess if you need it once it is enough to carry one.

 

Peter Forbes

CARANGO 

Amel 54 035

Lymington UK

07836 209730

 

On 4 May 2022, at 18:48, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Martin. We finally had to use a stern anchor after 4 years cruising. We deployed the port anchor (Delta, believe 31kg!) as a stern anchor using the dinghy. Not a pleasant experience and we have not yet tried to retrieve it. By the way, the rode is attached to the stern cleat but chafes on the stainless rub rail and on the hull as the boat moves around. Have you solved this?

I am considering getting a dedicated Fortress stern anchor, but wondering how much I will use it. Other than Patagonia, where do you anticipate needing it?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com Marquesas 20220418-2.jpg


 

We used the stern anchor in those two places on our circle around the world:
The Galapagos and Hiva Oa in the Marquesas, and both due to restricted space and wanting to point the bow to the ocean swell. We had a 15kg Spade with 4 or 5 meters of 10mm chain connected to a nylon 3-strand rode.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 1:46 PM Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> wrote:
Scott,

We used our stern anchor in 2 places - the Galapagos and Hiva Oa in the Marquesas. Both due anchorages with restricted space and lots of boats which also had stern anchors. Other than that never used - but I guess if you need it once it is enough to carry one.

Peter Forbes
CARANGO 
Amel 54 035
Lymington UK
07836 209730

On 4 May 2022, at 18:48, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Martin. We finally had to use a stern anchor after 4 years cruising. We deployed the port anchor (Delta, believe 31kg!) as a stern anchor using the dinghy. Not a pleasant experience and we have not yet tried to retrieve it. By the way, the rode is attached to the stern cleat but chafes on the stainless rub rail and on the hull as the boat moves around. Have you solved this?

I am considering getting a dedicated Fortress stern anchor, but wondering how much I will use it. Other than Patagonia, where do you anticipate needing it?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Martin Birkhoff
 

Hello Scott,


during the circumnavigation with our old yacht “Just do it” we used the stern anchor four times: in Nuku Hiva, Marina Parana (river Parana, Argentina), somewhere in Brasil and in Iquique, Chile. In the last case, the anchor line was fixed amidships and the anchor kept the boat off the quay.


On Mago del Sur we use a removable outrigger that we mount in regions where we might need the stern anchor more often. The outrigger is only used for setting or retrieving the anchor. Once the anchor is set, we usually tie the anchor line to the port stern cleat. At the stern cleat we had no shaving problems until now.

I have to add that we use the FX-37 with 8 m 10mm chain first and continue with an anchor line.


Dimensions of the outrigger: total length 40 cm, width 11 cm
the mounting plate has 10 x 11,5 plus 12 x 11,5 cm and is fitted with 4 thread-bolts M10, we reinforced the hull at the base of the mounting pate of course
next to the windlass we glued a small stainless steel plate to avoid shaving on the grp/gelcoat. Details are shown in the attached pics.


There are a lot of areas where you can use a stern anchor. Not only Patagonia. E.g. Sweden, Norway, Greece. A stern anchor can also help to keep the boat level against the swell, to stop it from rolling. It has helped us a lot in the Mediterranean. In many of this areas ou can use the bow anchor and tie the boat with landlines alternatively. 


Martin Birkhoff
 

... if mounted the outrigger shows an angle of roundabout 30° to the water surface.

Martin
SY Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Syracusa, Sicily


Scott SV Tengah
 

Thanks for the detailed response Martin. This is the most advanced stern anchor system I've seen on an Amel by far. 

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi all, We sailed from Florida to the top of  Maine and back down, through Long Island sound and New York to the Chesapeake, then to the Caribbean and Panama, Galapagos, Marquesas, French Polynesia and various Pacific Islands and Home to NZ. Then numerous cruises to the Pacific islands and much cruising around NZ. Used a stern anchor once in Hiva Oa where all the boats were in perfect line. We just used our second primary anchor and chain. A bit cumbersome, but once in 14 years, I don't think it justifies a dedicated anchor
Kind regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 05/05/2022 11:04 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


We used the stern anchor in those two places on our circle around the world:

The Galapagos and Hiva Oa in the Marquesas, and both due to restricted space and wanting to point the bow to the ocean swell. We had a 15kg Spade with 4 or 5 meters of 10mm chain connected to a nylon 3-strand rode.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 1:46 PM Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> wrote:
Scott,

We used our stern anchor in 2 places - the Galapagos and Hiva Oa in the Marquesas. Both due anchorages with restricted space and lots of boats which also had stern anchors. Other than that never used - but I guess if you need it once it is enough to carry one.

Peter Forbes
CARANGO 
Amel 54 035
Lymington UK
07836 209730

On 4 May 2022, at 18:48, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Martin. We finally had to use a stern anchor after 4 years cruising. We deployed the port anchor (Delta, believe 31kg!) as a stern anchor using the dinghy. Not a pleasant experience and we have not yet tried to retrieve it. By the way, the rode is attached to the stern cleat but chafes on the stainless rub rail and on the hull as the boat moves around. Have you solved this?

I am considering getting a dedicated Fortress stern anchor, but wondering how much I will use it. Other than Patagonia, where do you anticipate needing it?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com




Craig Briggs
 

We carry a Fortress FX37 near the stern on the inside of the port side railing with an Ancorlina spool of woven cord rode mounted just aft of it, also inside the railing. Really simple. Like Martin, we use it regularly - I'd say almost weekly whilst cruising. 
  • If you've ever had your boat roll uncomfortably at anchor, either from a wrap-around swell or the wind dying, leaving you to wallow, the stern anchor will keep you pointed into the swell, as several have noted. It will open up many borderline anchorages you may have dismissed as too rolly. A classic is Chubb Cay in the bight just north of Chub Point - a dreadful gunnel-to-gunnel wraparound roll. Cabo Sao Vicente off Gigante is another and, course, the Galapagos and others mentioned. But any fairly open anchorage is a candidate - lately for us, in Long Island Sound and the Chesapeake, where the night wind dies and an annoying swell starts its rock and roll. Using the stern anchor greatly expands your choices so you may be "far from the Madding crowd".
  • If you're in a tidal estuary, no worries about the anchor having to reset 180° with the current change. Far superior than a "Bahamian" mooring, imho, as there is no risk of anchor rodes twisting together with current shifts. 
  • If you want to anchor just off a narrow channel and not worry about swinging into the channel the stern anchor is the trick. Same for anchoring near a shallows. (Assuming calm-ish weather.)
  • If a storm is coming and you're headed into an anchorage, it's easy to get your primary anchor down, then unshackle the Fortress - the self-proclaimed "World's Strongest Anchor" - carry it forward, shackle it onto a second bow rode, and set it as the second anchor, if that's what you want.
Easy to deploy from the stern - set the bow anchor with the length of rode you want for the depth you're in. Then let out that much additional rode as you motor backwards to keep the bow anchor rode snug. Now simply drop the stern anchor straight down - no dinghy needed!  Take up on the bow rode to its proper length whilst letting out the stern rode and setting it at the proper length. Take up on the bow anchor so both anchors are well set and gently pulling on each other.

To retrieve just reverse the process, letting out bow anchor rode and then bringing the stern anchor up first - you'll be pulling straight up on it making it a cinch to break out (well, once in a while I have to put it on the genoa winch - that Fortress can really get set!).
 
For mounting, ours is simply resting sideways against the rail and lifeline with the tipping palm/mud plate hooking perfectly over the lifeline taking most of the weight (with a plastic tube over that section of lifeline for protection), the bottom end of the stock (tubular crosspiece) rests on deck (the anchor being sideways) with a rubber cap to protect the deck and a velcro strap to the stanchion; the top of the stock also has a velcro strap holding it to the top rail. The end of the fluke rests on the deck toward the stern, with a "crutch tip" on the end and a light lashing to a stanchion.
--
Cheers, Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL


Jose Venegas
 

Craig I am sold on it
Can you post a couple of pix?

Thanks a a lot
Jose Gabriel Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278
Cartagena de Indias