Topics

Moisture and Osmosis in Super Maramu

David Crisp

Hi all,

Am in the process of buying my first Amel - a 1995 Super Maramu. Have
just had the survey results back and it prompts some questions.

(1) The surveyor found moisture readings of 20% in the below water
line hull vs 5% above water line (Sovereign relative scale not
actually 20% by content). This is high by by normal standards but
something he has found in all 7 Amels he has surveyed.
Anyone know why the moisture is so high? Is it an issue? Are Amels
prone to osmosis and or blistering?

The epoxy coating on the hull which contains copper - am I correct in
thinking this is more for antifouling than water proofing since the
moisture readings are so high?

(2) There are only zincs on the rudder and propellor. It seems odd
that there are no zincs on the cast iron keel. Is it common to add
more zincs to the keel in these days of 'hot marinas".

(3) The keel/hull join is faired in and painted over with epoxy.
With movement of the keel and electrolysis this paint has flaked off
and the keel is slightly corroded. What is the norm for refinishing
keels? Maybe flexible sealer at the hull join instead of filler and
then zinc primer and antifouling on cast iron keel?

Are there any other things to watch out for on Amels? Are there any
standard improvemtns owners make (e.g. I note there are no
sacrificial UV strips on the sails).

Regards
David