Topics

More battery questions

ngtnewington Newington

Sorry to go on about batteries……

I have 8 Lifeline AGM batteries set up as four pairs of 24v. So the four pairs are in parallel. I set them up as I found the original and as Amel must have set them up. That is I have not installed a battery balancer.

At the moment I am on the boat half time so the batteries end up being 100% charged for weeks and months on end from the solar system which will hopefully balance them up.

Given the cost of a balancer from Victron  energy of about $100 and the value of the battery bank I should install one.

Does anyone have an opinion on this and know if I only need one balancer or should I buy two?

Kind regards

Nick

S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019 Leros Gr

Dean Gillies

Nick,

I would recommend balancers as I have personal experience of AGM getting unbalanced, and I believe this should be avoided. Especially since the balancer is cheap.

Victron suggest their balancer can be used for up to 3x 200Ah strings (pairs), so I would suggest you use two balancers.  You should connect the midpoints of two strings together and use the balancer on two strings.  Do this twice for your 4 strings.

I will be doing something similar with my 6 strings if my replacement batteries end up being AGM.

Cheers
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

ngtnewington Newington

Dean,

Thanks I will order a pair. I checked the Lifeline technical data and general information and they say nothing about balancing. They do talk about not mixing old with new, but we all know that batteries age differently so it makes sense to balance.

Nick
AML 54-019