mounting 12" chart plotter


Eloi Bamberg
 

Hi,
How did you mount and connect your chart plotter in the cockpit. I wanted to mount mine (Zeus 3s 12") in a Pod to secure it from theft, but i found it much to high (no more visibility over it), so i mounted it with the original mounting bracket behind the autopilot command. Does anybody have an idea how to protect it from theft other than removing it after navigation? Having 4 cables attached to it, i want to resolder those into one plug (to pass through the hull) if i have to remove it after each navigation but i am not sure whether it is possible to assemble power, nmea and ethernet into one plug without interferences. 

regards,

Eloi,
SM2K 426 RedLion


 

Consider mounting the pod and/or chartplotter near the center of the windshield. Most of the time you will be viewing the chart plotter you will be seated in places other than the helm seat. Additionally, if it is in the center, everyone in the cockpit can see it.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 3:06 AM Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:
Hi,
How did you mount and connect your chart plotter in the cockpit. I wanted to mount mine (Zeus 3s 12") in a Pod to secure it from theft, but i found it much to high (no more visibility over it), so i mounted it with the original mounting bracket behind the autopilot command. Does anybody have an idea how to protect it from theft other than removing it after navigation? Having 4 cables attached to it, i want to resolder those into one plug (to pass through the hull) if i have to remove it after each navigation but i am not sure whether it is possible to assemble power, nmea and ethernet into one plug without interferences. 

regards,

Eloi,
SM2K 426 RedLion


Rink De Haan
 

Following Bill’s line of thinking we have the 12” Raymarine chart plotter at the center. Well protected when sailing window open and a fair view for the co- pilot as well. 

Best
Rink
Amel SM2k #330


Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 22 mei 2021 om 15:52 heeft CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> het volgende geschreven:


Consider mounting the pod and/or chartplotter near the center of the windshield. Most of the time you will be viewing the chart plotter you will be seated in places other than the helm seat. Additionally, if it is in the center, everyone in the cockpit can see it.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 3:06 AM Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:
Hi,
How did you mount and connect your chart plotter in the cockpit. I wanted to mount mine (Zeus 3s 12") in a Pod to secure it from theft, but i found it much to high (no more visibility over it), so i mounted it with the original mounting bracket behind the autopilot command. Does anybody have an idea how to protect it from theft other than removing it after navigation? Having 4 cables attached to it, i want to resolder those into one plug (to pass through the hull) if i have to remove it after each navigation but i am not sure whether it is possible to assemble power, nmea and ethernet into one plug without interferences. 

regards,

Eloi,
SM2K 426 RedLion


 

Rink,

I really like that. We sailed 40,000 miles with the plotter in the middle. Ours was exactly in the middle, but the same concept. To get it in the middle we used a RAM Mount.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 9:19 AM Rink De Haan <rinkdehaan@...> wrote:
Following Bill’s line of thinking we have the 12” Raymarine chart plotter at the center. Well protected when sailing window open and a fair view for the co- pilot as well. 

Best
Rink
Amel SM2k #330


Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 22 mei 2021 om 15:52 heeft CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> het volgende geschreven:


Consider mounting the pod and/or chartplotter near the center of the windshield. Most of the time you will be viewing the chart plotter you will be seated in places other than the helm seat. Additionally, if it is in the center, everyone in the cockpit can see it.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 3:06 AM Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:
Hi,
How did you mount and connect your chart plotter in the cockpit. I wanted to mount mine (Zeus 3s 12") in a Pod to secure it from theft, but i found it much to high (no more visibility over it), so i mounted it with the original mounting bracket behind the autopilot command. Does anybody have an idea how to protect it from theft other than removing it after navigation? Having 4 cables attached to it, i want to resolder those into one plug (to pass through the hull) if i have to remove it after each navigation but i am not sure whether it is possible to assemble power, nmea and ethernet into one plug without interferences. 

regards,

Eloi,
SM2K 426 RedLion


Eloi Bamberg
 

thanks for your help. but did you remove it to prevent from theft or had you found an other way to secure it? Did you resolder the cables in one plug?
regrads,
Eloi


Rink De Haan
 

Hi Eloi

I remove the plotter when I am not on the boat. It is connected to a WiFi Raymarine Doppler radar so I don’t need a cable for the radar. I only need power and NMEA2000. These 2 cables fit throug one scanstrut connection. 

Regards 
Rink

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 23 mei 2021 om 11:24 heeft Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> het volgende geschreven:

thanks for your help. but did you remove it to prevent from theft or had you found an other way to secure it? Did you resolder the cables in one plug?
regrads,
Eloi


 

I removed the plotter except when motoring  or sailing. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   

On Sun, May 23, 2021, 4:13 AM Rink De Haan <rinkdehaan@...> wrote:
Hi Eloi

I remove the plotter when I am not on the boat. It is connected to a WiFi Raymarine Doppler radar so I don’t need a cable for the radar. I only need power and NMEA2000. These 2 cables fit throug one scanstrut connection. 

Regards 
Rink

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 23 mei 2021 om 11:24 heeft Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> het volgende geschreven:

thanks for your help. but did you remove it to prevent from theft or had you found an other way to secure it? Did you resolder the cables in one plug?
regrads,
Eloi


Herman Goverse
 

This is how and where we plan to mount the plotter, on the wooden latch. 


I’m wondering if the cable gland could be mounted to the starboard side of the chain counter. Does the void behind the instrument panel extend that far to allow the cables to exit there? I would rather have the scanstrut gland in the vertical plane to avoid water ingress. 

Herman
--
SY-Kolibri - SM #174


 

Herman,

That area behind the B&G analog devices or chain counter is accessible by opening the sliding panel in the ceiling above the galley sink. Inside that panel, you will see 2 or 3 conduits that lead to the Nav Station. Amel left a pull-string inside the conduit and it is there unless someone has removed it.

You can use a cable gland, or there is another solution for the cable which I used. 
My solution: When not in use my cockpit monitor laid face down at the Nav Station with the cable coiled on top. When in use, we brought the monitor and cable through the companionway hatch. No holes to drill. I initially did it this way because I was not certain of the final location of the monitor. Since I also resist drilling holes of any kind, and because this worked so well, it became the permanent solution for me. If I were you, I would try my solution at least temporarily.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 1:44 PM Herman Goverse <h.goverse@...> wrote:

This is how and where we plan to mount the plotter, on the wooden latch. 


I’m wondering if the cable gland could be mounted to the starboard side of the chain counter. Does the void behind the instrument panel extend that far to allow the cables to exit there? I would rather have the scanstrut gland in the vertical plane to avoid water ingress. 

Herman
--
SY-Kolibri - SM #174


Arlo
 

I took a different route and happy i did. I installed a 7 inch zeus in a navpod at the helm offcenter to port and installed a 12" zeus in a navpod on the starboard side of the companionway. It preserves the use of the existing gauges and gets larger plotter and radar screens so its not blocking my view forward. I use the smaller display for sailsteer, and backup chart views and autopilot. Imho a perfect setup. Will post pics in a seperate post