--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia

My Rule: Regardless of what you are mounting on the deck of an Amel, never penetrate the deck with a drill or screw unless you are an expert at protecting the balsa core. I have seen far too many Amels ruined with wet balsa cores because someone wanted to penetrate the deck.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 3:50 AM Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> wrote:

Hello,

I just got two semi flex solar panels that I will mount on the deck near the main mast. There are 3 possibilities to do that project. With screws, with glue or with tape. Any experience with any of the mentioned?

Thank you.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Croatia

Bill Kinney

I'll double up on Bill R's comment about screws and wet core!  Screws CAN be done safely, but it has to be done correctly.  Just driving screws into the deck WILL cause serious problems.

Given the choices you listed, I would 100% go with tape, because it is reversible without TOO much hassle.  Just be sure that the tape will work on the texture deck surface.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Haollywood, FL

Bernd Spanner

Edited

There is a good facebook group called Solar in a Boat. Check it out!
When you glue you have to do it the right way... Eg panels MUST be well glued. Otherwise very high temps (if air bubbles under the panel) on the deck under the panels can be the result, some even mentioning a fire threat from flex panels.
 I am back to rigid for the time being, better power/area performance.
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal