National ensign on top of mizzen mast

Joerg Esdorn

Does anyone carry the national flag on top of the mizzen mast?  If so, I would be very interested in seeing the mechanics of how to do this without interfering with the many antennas on top of the mizzen.  Do you have a long flag pole on top of the mizzen or an arm to the back or side of the mizzen?  Many thanks in advance.

Joerg Esdorn
Amel 55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in La Rochelle

Brent Cameron

While I can’t answer your specific question, and perhaps in misunderstanding it as well but I would caution that the (boat’s) “national” flag should be flown under the visiting country’s (courtesy) “national “ flag. For example, if your boat is French registered and you are visiting the UK, the UK flag should be flown above the French flag. Putting the French flag on the top of the mizzen would mean that you wouldn’t be able to use the typical spreader mounted courtesy flag and would likely have to figure out a way to get the UK flag mounted on the top of the main mast. This is why most “national” flags are flown from the stern down low. Big national flags show the loyalty of the boat while small courtesy flags up high pay tribute to the host country.

Brent

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Bruno COTTE

You must never put a national flag on top of a mizzen mast . This is only the place for a yacht club flag normally fixed on a wooden pole that you fix and take off by climbing on top …

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 20 nov. 2021 à 18:21, Brent Cameron via groups.io <brentcameron61@...> a écrit :

[...]

Gentlemen, let me point you to the attached YRA guidance on where to fly the national ensign, which I received from A54 owner Peter Forbes some time ago.  Please see 4b.  It‘s ok to fly the mizzen on top of the mizzen and in fact, it‘s done quite frequently in Germany and the Nordic countries.  I did it myself on an earlier boat in the 70s (dating myself here).

I‘d be very interested in seeing how it‘s done mechanically given all the antennas on top of the mizzen of an Amel.  Many thanks in advance!

Joerg Esdorn

Nick Newington

So, to fly the ensign from the top of the mizzen the vessel must be under way. You would then have to drop it and fly it from the taffrail at anchor or moored…or have I mis-understood the rules?

I have noticed that Dutch and Scandinavian boats often fly their ensigns from the mizzen mast and it looks nice but…. I would not in countries that are sensitive about courtesy flags, such as Turkey and many others…you may find yourself at the receiving end of an angry official. In such countries I like to buy a slightly larger courtesy flag than normal and make sure it is in good condition and keep it high….
Nick

Amelia

AML 54-019

Leros (ashore for the winter)

On 20 Nov 2021, at 17:32, Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Gentlemen, let me point you to the attached YRA guidance on where to fly the national ensign, which I received from A54 owner Peter Forbes some time ago.  Please see 4b.  It‘s ok to fly the mizzen on top of the mizzen and in fact, it‘s done quite frequently in Germany and the Nordic countries.  I did it myself on an earlier boat in the 70s (dating myself here).

I‘d be very interested in seeing how it‘s done mechanically given all the antennas on top of the mizzen of an Amel.  Many thanks in advance!

Joerg Esdorn  <YRA Flag Etiquette.pdf>

Paul Osterberg

We have mounted an old glasfiber batten on top of our mizzenmast to keep the Flag away from the back stays, Like to have the Swedish flag Up there.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Joerg Esdorn

Thank you, Paul.  Where do you lead the bottom of the flag halyard?

Joerg Esdorn

Paul Osterberg

Jörgen
We just tie it on the rail, will probably put a small cleat at the centre of the solar panels on the arc.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Joerg Esdorn

Thanks very much, Paul.  Cheers Joerg