Topics

Need help in Palma

Doug Smith

Hey Fellow Amel owners.  My wife and I are the new owners of Aventura, Amel 54-113.  We purchased in Nov 2019, and began moving from Greece to Gibraltar and planned winter crossing in Feb/March to US.  As many of you have also faced, we were restricted on traveling, and remain locked out of Europe.  Our boat was in Gibraltar for 5 months, and so we arranged for a shipping company to transport her to US, which was scheduled to begin this week.
Since we were also unable to get into Gibraltar, we hired a crew to move her to Palma where loading would occur on a transport ship.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, we were about an hour from loading, when the transport ship lost electrical power and its compartments on the starboard side flooded.  The ship needed tugs to keep it from flipping over in the harbour.  I am just glad we were not already loading, or tied up next to one of those massive ships, crushing ours.
The problem now is I have a paid crew just sitting in Palma and cost about 1000 pounds per day.  I am wondering if there are any fellow Amel owners in Palma, who could assist with moving the sailboat Aventura across the harbour, which would allow me to relieve the crew.  I am not sure yet when they will allow for loading, but am hoping it will be in the next 48 hours.  But that is still up in the air, since currently, the tugs are still keeping the transport ship from flipping.  Even if you know of a captain who lives in Palma, that would lbe helpful.  Looking for any assistance,
Thanks, Doug
Aventura, 54-113, in Palma, very far away from me.

Are you a member of SSCA (Seven Seas Cruising Association) or OCC (Ocean Cruising Club)? I believe they each have "hosts" in Mallorca. I used these hosts to solve issues around the world. The outcome was always favorable.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 11:52 AM Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Wolfgang Weber

Hello Doug,
If you don't mind I could post your message in trans-ocean.org  . This is a german / international organisation with more than 5000 members. We have many people all over the world who could help.
Membership is only 60 € per year and many marinas will give you 10% rebate.
Seeing the pictures I expect a delay for you for weeks. You may perhaps think about of sailing the Med. and sail to US next year.
My situation is opposite to yours - can't get to Fort Lauderdale from Germany and sail her back to the Med.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Doug Smith

Thanks, I appreciate the ideas.  I searched the SSCA, of which I am a member, and there are no hosts in Palma.  A couple of hosts in the Canaries, but no one in the Balearics.  Don’t post on Tran-ocean.org.  This is a pretty fluid situation, and I spoke with the crew a few minutes ago, and have them staying another 24 hours.  The shipping company is telling me the ship is upright and they have unloaded most of the ships.  I am hopeful for more clarity by morning local time.

We are most concerned that if we change out crew, it will mess up the loading and customs for the ship transport.

If there was a fellow owner, stuck in Palma, it would make sense to switch out crew, but trying to identify and find a new crew on short notice (hopefully) might be worse.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Currently Palma

Steve Bell

Hi Doug We are on Dusk 6 boats down from you sent you a pm.
willing to help if we can
regards

steve
Dusk
sm378

Jim Watkins

Call Paul Hamel of Tides Marine. Takes care of boats and looked after my Amel when it was in Majorca. 34 618 81 2242

On Jun 9, 2020, at 8:58 PM, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> wrote:

[...]

Stuart Hemingway writes:

I just wanted to say that a very ‘go to’ person in Palma is ‘Mike Stoffel + 34 650 734 083 ’.

He amongst other things arranged a lift out in slings for Beam IV striped down the bow thruster and relaunched in two hours….

He’d fix anything ,knows Amel’s and a great captain.

Stuart

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Doug Smith

Thanks to all for their suggestions. Hoping to have this all resolved by the morning. Scheduled loading is occurring at 7:30 am.

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura
Dugsmith98@...