Topics

New 175 am alternator

Stefan and Anne Deerberg

Dear all!

we bought our OYA, a SM 2000, 373 in April.
now we want to change the alternator to a bigger 175 amp.
The engine is still the original Yanmar 75hp from 2002.

Is there anyone with good experience with a special brand?
Do we have to pay attention to something when converting?
Which alternator fits this engine?

thanks for your ideas, tips and experience

Stefan

SV OYA, SM 373, Carriacou / Grenada

Stephan,

175 amps of 24 volts is a lot, but if you do change to a bigger alternator, you will likely need to increase the size of the wire from the battery bank switch to the 24-volt alternator. You will also probably need to change belts and pulleys. I really loved the fact the on the Yanmar engine all 3 belts were exactly the same.

Additionally, if the Leece-Neville 24-volt, 175 amp alternator is still working, I can think of several SM owners who will want to buy it. It is very difficult to find an alternator with that high of amperage and that is built as good as the Leece-Neville. Let me know if you want to sell it and I will pass the information to those interested.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 2:33 PM Stefan and Anne Deerberg <stefan.deerberg@...> wrote:
Dear all!

we bought our OYA, a SM 2000, 373 in April.
now we want to change the alternator to a bigger 175 amp.
The engine is still the original Yanmar 75hp from 2002.

Is there anyone with good experience with a special brand?
Do we have to pay attention to something when converting?
Which alternator fits this engine?

thanks for your ideas, tips and experience

Stefan

SV OYA, SM 373, Carriacou / Grenada

Philippe Belloir

https://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/alt_search.php

Prestolite is a good brand, you can find product and advice with the link above
Fair winds

Philippe Belloir
+33 781 709 791

we bought our OYA, a SM 2000, 373 in April.
now we want to change the alternator to a bigger 175 amp.
The engine is still the original Yanmar 75hp from 2002.

Is there anyone with good experience with a special brand?
Do we have to pay attention to something when converting?
Which alternator fits this engine?

thanks for your ideas, tips and experience

Stefan

SV OYA, SM 373, Carriacou / Grenada

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Stefan and Anne

i would also like to see my Volvo Penta TMD 222 and 98
for under SM 222 bj 1998
At 175 AH, I'd be a little nervous about the power of 75 p of the engine, because a 175 Altinator also takes power from the engine.
i've been watching Alpha/110 or 24/150
they have a good cargo glider who makes the altinator have a three-step load and the altinator produce high AH by smal
upm / min .

https://www.mastervolt.de/light machine-24v/

But the tape doesn't fit and something needs to be changed.

I would be grateful for experiences from the gupp ?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Rink De Haan

Dear Stefan

I am no expert on this but when I was researching for a new 24v alternator for our 2001 SM with the Yanmar 75hp engine the Prestolite dealer advised me to stay with the original size.
The snap in replacement for the original is

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/specs.php?pf=true&item_detail_id=32807&item=66021507&product=ALTERNATOR

For me completely sufficient and working like a dream.

But also interested in the advise of others

Best regards

Rink

SM2k #330 Razor’s Edge

Karen Smith

This isn't advice, just our experience.

Our boat was one of what seems to have been few SMs that were delivered with the "standard" 50 Amp alternator.  For the way we use our boat, that has been completely sufficient.  It supplies all the power we need when motoring, with enough left over to run the watermaker, or top off the batteries.  It's rare that we leave an anchorage with less than 80% charge in our batteries, so we are not normally asking the main engine alternator to deliver very much in the way of charge.  If we actually need to bulk charge the batteries while underway, we use the generator.

Hi Karen,

 Good to read. We have also found over the years that our main engine alternator is a very efficient means of charging. It would be really useful if you could add your boat name and number so people can see what year your SM was built--in this case we would then know the size of engine you have and the number of batteries.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Kilada, Greece