Topics

New battery bank / one battery smoking and leaking

Benjamin Thibault

Good afternoon again Amel fellow group.

I seem to have another problem on my Amel. I realized this week that my batteries were all dead after a year due to Covid of not being able to maintain the boat properly. (Couldn’t reach the boat in another country.)

I changed all my batteries yesterday for 6 new ones. 5 are a bank and one is for the starter.

I had the battery’s charging all night on shore power with no problem. But today while crossing from Freeport to Berri Islands, I’ve realized too late that the first one of the batteries from the bank side was smoking and and overheating. And is now basically dead form what I see.

I am trying to figure out if the problem could be only that exact battery, from the fact that all others seemed ok or do I have a problem somewhere else in my set up?

Again like my last post.... I’m trying to figure out everything with basic knowledge.

My inverter is Victron Multi plus compact 12V 2000 VA 80 amp. Which is basically new also.

Thx again for all the help.

Stuck basically nowhere,
Benjamin
Bon Edda
Maramu 202

JB Duler

I am sorry to hear that. Were you motoring or sailing? If you were motoring, have you checked your regulator on the alternator? Maybe you were overcharging?
When you charge batteries you have to go through several phases (1, charge max, 2. lower amount, 3 trickle charge). If your charger/your alternator, windvane or sun panels faile to lower the charge, then you fry the batteries.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Benjamin Thibault

Ahah, I’m learning the hard way the fun part of owning a boat. I heard a long time ago.... be the friend of someone who owns a boat. All it will cost you is a case of beer. Lol

Yesterday I was on shore power and all seem well. Yes I was motoring for about 50 nm and realized the problem almost at destination. But it was going on for a while. Just don’t realize cause of lack of knowledge.

Today was very cloudy so almost no solar power coming in. Basically only the alternators. So I will change the battery and regulate the charge in the coming hours.

Thx for the help

Ben

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 3:57 PM JB Duler <jbduler@...> wrote:
I am sorry to hear that. Were you motoring or sailing? If you were motoring, have you checked your regulator on the alternator? Maybe you were overcharging?
When you charge batteries you have to go through several phases (1, charge max, 2. lower amount, 3 trickle charge). If your charger/your alternator, windvane or sun panels faile to lower the charge, then you fry the batteries.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Craig Briggs

Ben,
Some more info would help. When you say, "Basically only the alternators." -  does that mean you have more than one engine alternator?  When you say "I will change the battery ..." does that mean you will just take the overheating battery out of the house bank of 5, and not that you are actually "changing" it? Or are you ex-"changing" it with the starter battery? What does "regulate the charge in the coming hours" mean? Are you back to shore power and running your Victron? Does that not regulate the charge automatically (through it's 3-stage program)?
Would love to help you sort this out, but your post is a little hard to respond to with the paucity of information you've given.
Best, Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Ian Park

Ben
Don't replace the bad battery until you have found the issue. Maybe it was a bad battery or a charging issue. If the latter, you risk damaging a replacement in the same way.
Prior to crossing the Atlantic my batteries were suddenly running down quickly. After separating them and testing them I found one battery was not holding a charge. I removed it from the system reducing the house bank to three. Everything was fine then; the bad battery was stopping the rest from charging fully.
If your batteries are not new, don't put a new one in the system. Reduce to three. Find out whether it was a bad battery or something in your running charging circuits. If you have to keep.moving, either everything will charge up fine or another battery will go the same way.  When you've identified the issue think of renewing all the house batteries. I

When this happened to me I was at the same stage of the learning curve as you are now! This group has hauled my knowledge up by the bootstraps!!

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96