New LiFePO4 Batteries for Aquarius

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

This video shows my new (about 1 year old now) LiFePO4 batteries.  If you have any questions let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBl8ERId1Kc

All the best!

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262

Jason Rutledge

Ken,

Thank you for the video.  I sent them an email asking for a quote.  I appreciated seeing how you had everything connected, very informative. 

--
Jason Rutledge
SV Liahona
SM 335

Slavko Despotovic

Hi Ken,

thank you for video. Did I miss it, where is starting battery for engine and generator? 
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Edited

Slavko,

The previous (also the only previous) owner moved the starter battery into the engine room.   I kind of think it's a good idea to have the engine start battery in the engine room, so I left it there.  Shorter high current cables are, the better.  

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Jason,

Depending on where the batteries are shipping, is the difference between getting a good deal and a great deal.  I paid slightly less than $3500 for the two batteries including shipping.  That was a killer deal.  There were several other boats that bought the same batteries when I bought.  Plus, there was one boat that bought from Lithium Valley 5 years prior.  And he loved his batteries.  If you are in Thailand there is no tax, or duty, on Chinese electronics shipped into Thailand.  And, the other thing that makes them cheap in Thailand.... You can ship from China to Thailand via Train.  Paid, about $300 for shipping.  

Best Regards,

Ken Powers
Aquarius 
SM2K#262

Slavko Despotovic

What is back up plan in event of dead starter battery? On my previous boat it happened  that starter battery was dead, but I had two separate 12V starter batteries. One for engine and second one for generator. What is your set up? 
--
Slavko
SM 2000

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Slavko,

Yes, this is a problem with the start battery.  I may have to carry two start batteries.

Ken

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi Ken,

Interesting to see what you have done.   Do you know the weight of each battery ? Maybe in all about 1/3 of lead acid ?
 Have you noticed any list to port ?

Ian and Judy,
Pen Azen, ( to be seen again on 17th May, Boris permitting!), SM 302, Kilada, Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...>
Sent: 15 April 2021 04:49
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] New LiFePO4 Batteries for Aquarius

Slavko,

Yes, this is a problem with the start battery.  I may have to carry two start batteries.

Ken

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Received a response from Joey (Lithium Valley) last night:

3-weeks to make the custom enclosure after receipt of order
30-35 days to ship to US
60-KG per battery module
$1415 per module

Matt
SV Talia SM#208

Jose Venegas

Ken,
Very nice video, thank you.  I love the way you cleaned up the spaghetti of cables behind the two large DC switches.   At the end of the video, you mention that you were going to install switches to control the source of the 220 V input to the boat ac systems. 
If you have not done it yet, or others are planning on doing it, my experience with this may be helpful. 
After installing my LiFePO4 batteries (8 Battle Born 100 AH) I installed a 5000 W inverter,  I connected its output to an outlet that I added to the white box on the engine compartment.  In my boat, that white box had originally two outlets: one from the shore power direct 220V and the second one from shore power at 110V that was passed through a transformer to give 220V.  There is also a large plug that can be connected to either outlet providing power to all the ac outlets and 220V devices of the boat including the water maker.  The cables coming from this plug go through the AMEL installed solenoid that automatically disconnects shore power and connects the output of the generator to the 220V boat circuits including all outlets, all appliances, air conditioning units, and battery chargers. Adding a 3rd outlet and connecting it to the output of the 5kW inverter allowed me to easily provide power from the inverter to the 220V boat circuits with minimal circuit changes. In fact, it also allows running the watermaker of the batteries !!!  The only issue came from the possibility of leaving one or two of the battery chargers ON while running from the inverter; a situation that you can imagine was highly undesirable.  In fact, the first day after the installation of the inverter,  I was charging the batteries with the generator and forgot to disconnect the battery chargers before turning OFF the generator.  The result was that all kinds of alarms and blinking LEDs came out of the inverter but there was no damage.  Obviously charging the batteries with energy coming from the batteries has a VERY  negative efficiency!!.  To solve this problem I installed two small ac activated NC relays on the cables feeding the battery chargers so that they would be open if the inverter is ON and the generator is not running.  As soon as the generator is turned on, the relays close, and the battery chargers can do their work.  This solution worked like a charm and I can leave the switches for the battery chargers ON when the inverter is ON, since the battery chargers are automatically turned OFF.  However, they will be activated as soon as the generator is started.  The relays are small enough to fit inside the AC box behind the switches.
Hope this is not too confusing but I will be happy to include a circuit drawing illustration for those interested.   

Jose Venegas
Ipanema
SM2K278.
Currently in Cartagena de Indias Colombia

Jason Rutledge

Jose,
We need pictures of you of your "white box" modification, and the relays.  Sounds like a nice solution.
--
Jason Rutledge
SV Liahona
SM 335

Jose Venegas

Jason
The white box shows the system driven by the 220V shore power.  To use the inverter (Onduleur in French) just change the plug to the respective outlet.
The relays are sold by Amazone :DPST 1NO 1NC 8Amp Power Relay Module, AC 220V 230V 240V Control Voltage for US$20 each.  I could not find one that allowed enough current for the 100 amp charger and thus I used 2 in parallel and a third one for the 60 amp charger. Pix are appended.  The green input connects to the main brown cable entering the box with the AC switches and the blue input from the inverter outlet in the white box.  The NC out cables are connected by splitting the blue output cable going from the AC switch to the battery charger. When the inverter is running and the generator is not, the relay is open. as soon as the generator is turned on, the automatic AMEL relay disconnects the input of the small relay installed on the AC box and opens the driving circuit to the battery charger.  Hope it is not too complicated

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278 

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Hi Matt and Michelle,

$1415 is a better deal than I got!  Awesome!  Prices are continuing to fall.  Less refined lead in this world will not be a bad thing.

Ken
Aquarius
SM2K#262

Slavko Despotovic

I got the same, plus 170$ shipping cost to Port of Koper. Delivery time is 2 months. Custom cost to import to EU is 2,7% and VAT if applicable. Overall good deal.
--
Slavko
SM 2000

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Ken,

Since our pleasant video call last month I was awaiting your video with much interest.
What a educating video again with great humour.

Happy sailing from Thailand and give my regards to Hans.

Eric Opdeweegh
Searching and preparing to buy the SM2K

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Jose,

Great solution and explanation. Thank you for sharing.
I hope to buy my SM2K soonest this year and I am studying as such all sysyems in preparation of a refit. Solar and LiFePo4 baterries is the hart of the power(s) systems and in my view the only way into the future.

could you share a diagram of the wiring system with all the equipment you installed (inverters, batteries, solar, alternators, generator,shore power, relays etc) 
A diagram makes it so much more clear than text,

Thank you and happy sailing
Eric Opdeweegh
Searching and preparing to buy a SM2K

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Ken,

I understand you are thinking about a third set of 300AH/24V .

Is it possible to have two sets of 450AH/24V instead? Or do you think that is not recommendable?

Regards and Happy Sailing
Eric Opdeweegh
Searching and preparing to buy the SM2K

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Ken,

Very much appreciate the lead.  

Shipping/Customs/trans ship/etc to the US is $1267.  So, all in door-to-door we would be at $5512 for a set of 3.  I have been looking at Victron LiFePO4's.  The Victron set was quoted at $11k on the east coast of the US (full 8-battery set replacement....yeah I know that is capacity overkill). It appears to be great value for money for the batteries if the construction is up to snuff.

I asked Joey for additional data to satisfy my nerd brain before I will pull the trigger: internal construction layout, wire gauges, solder/mech connections, separation and damping, venting, low temp disconnect, and BMS make/model.  Will share when he gets back to me.

Matt
SV Talia
SM#208

Jason Rutledge

I got the same pricing from them.  Shipping to Texas was $1147
Shipping to Puerto Rico is $213 but I have to pick it up at the port so more costs added at that time for importing it.
Here is more information I got from them.  Specs sheet, Pictures of the internal construction and the individual cell they use....
--
Jason Rutledge
SV Liahona
SM 335

Dan Carlson

A couple points regarding the starter battery:
1) Ken - could you post some pictures of you starter battery install in the engine room? 
2) Regarding starter battery failure - we have a 12v battery charger, so unless you have a catastrophic failure (internal short), you will often have signs that it is weakening. Our first sign was difficulty starting the genset, but the battery charger then gave it a sufficient boost to get through the genset starting sequence until we could purchase a replacement. 

Regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021, 10:07 AM Jason Rutledge <jasonrutledge1@...> wrote:
I got the same pricing from them.  Shipping to Texas was $1147
Shipping to Puerto Rico is $213 but I have to pick it up at the port so more costs added at that time for importing it.
Here is more information I got from them.  Specs sheet, Pictures of the internal construction and the individual cell they use....
--
Jason Rutledge
SV Liahona
SM 335