New LiFePO4 Batteries for Aquarius

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

This video shows my new (about 1 year old now) LiFePO4 batteries.  If you have any questions let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBl8ERId1Kc

All the best!

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262

Jason Rutledge

Ken,

Thank you for the video.  I sent them an email asking for a quote.  I appreciated seeing how you had everything connected, very informative.

--
Jason Rutledge
SV Liahona

Slavko Despotovic

Hi Ken,

thank you for video. Did I miss it, where is starting battery for engine and generator?
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Edited

Slavko,

The previous (also the only previous) owner moved the starter battery into the engine room.   I kind of think it's a good idea to have the engine start battery in the engine room, so I left it there.  Shorter high current cables are, the better.

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Jason,

Depending on where the batteries are shipping, is the difference between getting a good deal and a great deal.  I paid slightly less than $3500 for the two batteries including shipping.  That was a killer deal.  There were several other boats that bought the same batteries when I bought.  Plus, there was one boat that bought from Lithium Valley 5 years prior.  And he loved his batteries.  If you are in Thailand there is no tax, or duty, on Chinese electronics shipped into Thailand.  And, the other thing that makes them cheap in Thailand.... You can ship from China to Thailand via Train.  Paid, about $300 for shipping.

Best Regards,

Ken Powers
Aquarius
SM2K#262

Slavko Despotovic

What is back up plan in event of dead starter battery? On my previous boat it happened  that starter battery was dead, but I had two separate 12V starter batteries. One for engine and second one for generator. What is your set up?
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Slavko,

Yes, this is a problem with the start battery.  I may have to carry two start batteries.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Interesting to see what you have done.   Do you know the weight of each battery ? Maybe in all about 1/3 of lead acid ?
 Have you noticed any list to port ?

 Ian and Judy,
Pen Azen, ( to be seen again on 17th May, Boris permitting!), SM 302, Kilada, Greece

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Ken,

Since our pleasant video call last month I was awaiting your video with much interest.
What a educating video again with great humour.

Happy sailing from Thailand and give my regards to Hans.

Eric Opdeweegh
Searching and preparing to buy the SM2K

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Jose,

Great solution and explanation. Thank you for sharing.
I hope to buy my SM2K soonest this year and I am studying as such all sysyems in preparation of a refit. Solar and LiFePo4 baterries is the hart of the power(s) systems and in my view the only way into the future.

could you share a diagram of the wiring system with all the equipment you installed (inverters, batteries, solar, alternators, generator,shore power, relays etc)
A diagram makes it so much more clear than text,

Thank you and happy sailing
Eric Opdeweegh
Searching and preparing to buy a SM2K

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Ken,

I understand you are thinking about a third set of 300AH/24V .

Is it possible to have two sets of 450AH/24V instead? Or do you think that is not recommendable?

Regards and Happy Sailing
Eric Opdeweegh
Searching and preparing to buy the SM2K

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Ken,

Very much appreciate the lead.

Shipping/Customs/trans ship/etc to the US is $1267.  So, all in door-to-door we would be at $5512 for a set of 3.  I have been looking at Victron LiFePO4's.  The Victron set was quoted at $11k on the east coast of the US (full 8-battery set replacement....yeah I know that is capacity overkill). It appears to be great value for money for the batteries if the construction is up to snuff.

I asked Joey for additional data to satisfy my nerd brain before I will pull the trigger: internal construction layout, wire gauges, solder/mech connections, separation and damping, venting, low temp disconnect, and BMS make/model.  Will share when he gets back to me.

Matt
SV Talia
SM#208

Jason Rutledge

I got the same pricing from them.  Shipping to Texas was $1147
Shipping to Puerto Rico is $213 but I have to pick it up at the port so more costs added at that time for importing it.
Here is more information I got from them.  Specs sheet, Pictures of the internal construction and the individual cell they use....
--
Jason Rutledge
SV Liahona

Dan Carlson

A couple points regarding the starter battery:
1) Ken - could you post some pictures of you starter battery install in the engine room?
2) Regarding starter battery failure - we have a 12v battery charger, so unless you have a catastrophic failure (internal short), you will often have signs that it is weakening. Our first sign was difficulty starting the genset, but the battery charger then gave it a sufficient boost to get through the genset starting sequence until we could purchase a replacement.

Regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387