Topics

New member, one foot in San Francisco, one in the Med

JB Duler

Hello all,

I wanted to introduce myself. I bought Bill Reilly's Meltem. What can I say? Just fell in love with her. Dealing directly with Bill instead of a broker was like day and night.

I have been around boats all my life, started with an Opti, then a 420, then a Finn with 470s and 505s. I still race a Laser at European and World championships.
I have also raced and cruised all kind of boats. My best memories were with my Swan 47. BUT no more teak decks for me (!).
Racing in the freezing cold and windy San Francisco Bay took a toll on me, hence a Meltem with cold beers, and in the Med will be a nice change.

On the business side I am an engineer and I have been in the insurance and software business all my life, throughout the world. Anything from owning a brokerage company to Exec or CEO of insurance companies, one of them I founded.

I hate to mix pleasure and business but I have to say I don't like the state of yacht insurance, and maybe Amel owners are a special breed. If anybody wants to discuss a self insured group, a rent a captive, just reach out to me. Totally doable and we will put our Mentor, Bill Rouse, as Trustee (Bill, I should have asked before).

I love the vibe of that group. Where do you find the time the find to maintain your boat with such a high standard?

I hope to meet some of you in person :-)
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Mohammad Shirloo

Welcome to the group and family John, and congrats on your new Amel. Having sailed Southern California, before our now 6 seasons in the Med, you are in for a treat.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

David Crisp

Welcome to the community John,

You have stirred up happy memories of when I lived in Tiburon and raced out of Tiburon Yacht Club on a J105.  Now living back in the UK but cruising on my Amel 54 in the Med in the summer.  I'm currently based near Toulon but heading to Greece in the Spring, hope we get to cross paths and share stories over a beer.
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

Roque

Welcome JB!

If you brouse this Forum you will find a thread where self-insurance was  discussed for a while.

Enjoy your Amel

Roque
Attika A54
Paraty- Brazil

Em ter., 8 de dez. de 2020 às 05:30, David Crisp <david@...> escreveu:

Welcome to the community John,

You have stirred up happy memories of when I lived in Tiburon and raced out of Tiburon Yacht Club on a J105.  Now living back in the UK but cruising on my Amel 54 in the Med in the summer.  I'm currently based near Toulon but heading to Greece in the Spring, hope we get to cross paths and share stories over a beer.
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58

Patrick McAneny

John,
 Too bad you did not join the group last spring , you could have contributed greatly to a discussion the group had about group insurance.
 I was in the market to insure my boat after Pantaenius pulled out of the US market and insurance was more difficult and costly to acquire . I thought it possible for a group such as the Amel  Owners to self insure , I suggested it to another owner and we put a thread out to the group ,suggesting it. I envisioned keeping it simple ,but suggestions came in ,going in many directions , more complex , with objections ,etc.
Not having a background in the insurance industry ,and not willing to answer basically the same concerns and questions over and over ,I gave up on herding the cats. I still think the idea has merit , if lead by someone that has the background and the willingness to invest the time and energy to get it off the ground. You may find it interesting to go back and read the posts
Welcome to the group,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Search the topic "Self Insurance" post # 52235 dated May 18, 2020
here is a link below;

https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/52235

[...]

Hi Pat,

Better late than never! Pantaenius is just a broker, even though they
want to portray themselves as an insurer. They used to be one of our
agents. I am still working and a bit busy (hopefully will go back to
more sailing/cruising at some point), and I will look into the past
thread.
Where are you based?
Cheers,
JB

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 6:46 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io
<sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

John-Bernard Duler

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

JB,

If I were insuring in today's environment, I would be tempted to buy liability insurance and sell-insure for all other damages. If this appeals to you there is a broker I trust in the business who will write liability only insurance. Gary and his son, Elliott, write marine policies worldwide:
Gary Golden & Elliott Golden
Manifest Marine
604 Stonewall Lane
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22407 USA
Gary@...
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

--
John-Bernard Duler

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Patrick McAneny

JB,
 We live on the Sassafras River off the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay ,on the Eastern Shore of Maryland ,40 F. 13 kts  NW off the river at present , a bit cold. The C&D canal entrance is about miles from us .
 I realize Pantaenius is a broker ,I was well served by them and was sorry to lose my coverage thru them.
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

--
John-Bernard Duler

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Matt Salatino

I’ve been using Gary, and his father, Al, before him, for years. Elliot is the 3rd generation in the business.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

--
John-Bernard Duler

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Patrick McAneny

Matt, I went with Gary at Manifest Marine in June,he has been very responsive. Could I ask which insurance co. he put you with ,and if you like the coverage or policy provisions . I am with Windsor Mount Joy , whom I have had my home owners policy with for years and the travel restrictions are tight.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

--
John-Bernard Duler

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

JB Duler

Pat,

In 1994 I kept my Swan 47 on the Sassafras River!!!! Love it, so peaceful, anchored surrounded by cows. At this time of the year the deck was frozen.

At the time I was in Philly working for the Insurance Company of North America (very long history), they became CIGNA, then, ACE, now Chubb.

Such a small world!

JB

--
John-Bernard Duler

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Matt Salatino

He put me with the Jackline Policy.
I had this previously with my previous boat.
Our first year with our Amel was with Pantaenius US....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

--
John-Bernard Duler

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Patrick McAneny

JB,
 Yes it is a beautiful river ,many think the most beautiful on the Bay ,including me. I have been here since I was four ,just turned 70 Saturday. It has hardly changed in all those years,unspoiled to this day ,with many great places to anchor. When you were here ,you may have seen hangliders being towed up by a boat or just flying about, that was me a couple of friends. We flew three days a week for a few decades ,soaring the cliffs and looking for thermals. If ever here again, drop a hook in front of our pier .
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

--
John-Bernard Duler

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

karkauai

Hi JB,
Welcome to the AYOG and congrats on your new to you Amel.
As previously noted, a year or so ago, two members with some Insurance know-how tackled the possibility of a group policy, but ran into roadblocks and finally gave up. There are a substantial number if owners here (ask on the separate Facebook page for others who might not be members here) who are very interested in pursuing the idea, ir at least participating if it can be done.

Do a search for Insurance and you will find a thread that gives some info.

If you want to pursue it further, I can send you some email threads about discussions among the group of 4 who spent a good bit of energy on it and could tell you what the biggest hurdles were if that isn't clear in the emails.

Happy Holidays!
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243