New Thread on A54 fridge pumps (ATTN: OLIVER Vela Nautica)

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

1. My brushless pump motors are a lot more efficient than the very basic brushed flowjet motors. Additional the frigoboat box applies PWM to the old brushed motor to convert 24 volts for a 12 volt pump, that adds even more unefficiency to the old system.

2. Reliability: brushless motors are used in places where reliability and 100% duty is required. Like atomic power plants, industry aso. With my conversion we get rid of most of the wear. At Scott we had to use a simple brushless motor because COVID-19 prevented us from shipping our new designed motors with advanved 100% duty marine bearings.

3. For the boats using RAWwater for cooling, I created a pump version that flushes the tube system automaticaly to prevent silt.

4. Scott measured 5 liter per minute at 25% motor speed. As the speed is free to adjust, the flowrate can be adjusted to the optimized rate. I run the pump at 30% and higher in flush mode.

As we are going to convert an other Boat to the new system we will get more data about the energy savings.

Kingd regards
Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 23:23 Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Second update: I measured the pump flow rate on the original flojet with a hose and bucket and it was 6.5 liters per minute.

I measured the flow rate on the brushless set at 25% duty cycle and it was a bit over 5 liters per minute. That lower flow rate probably explains some, but not all of the 60% energy savings I am seeing vs. the brushed motor.

Frigoboat literature states that you need to supply 3.8 liters per minute, so even at my lower flow rate, I'm well over the requirement.

What is really odd is that the fridges seem to run better in that they're running less and use less energy. I surmise there may be some truth in Craig Briggs explanation about how warmer water results in more efficient compressor operation. My freezer, which gets cooling water that has been warmed by the first and second fridges, seems to be drawing less energy. Overall, I have a daily power surplus that is greater than the water pump energy savings (with solar output accounted for) can explain.

So far so good. Now let's see if it lasts!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Stefan Schaufert

Hello Oliver,

how long did these pumps last with you so far?
How is it possible (for laypeople) to get these pumps (ready for use)?

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Exumas

Courtney Gorman

Yes wonderful Oliver and Scott I am very interested in the new pump.  Eagerly awaiting more details
Cheers 🥂
Well done
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

On Mar 19, 2021, at 9:37 AM, Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Hello Oliver,

how long did these pumps last with you so far?
How is it possible (for laypeople) to get these pumps (ready for use)?

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Exumas

Scott SV Tengah

Hi all,

I cannot comment on longevity yet because I have not run the brushless for longer than six months, which was my average lifespan of the Amel Spec'd Flojets. Time will tell but so far the energy savings has continued and the freezer definitely is colder. Earlier I had to keep the freezer at MAX and now I have it set at 4-5 and more of the food stays frozen. Same climate (French Polynesia) and same amount of food in the freezer.

FYI I run the two galley fridges and the saloon freezer at all times.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 3:42 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes wonderful Oliver and Scott I am very interested in the new pump.  Eagerly awaiting more details
Cheers 🥂
Well done
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

On Mar 19, 2021, at 9:37 AM, Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Hello Oliver,

how long did these pumps last with you so far?
How is it possible (for laypeople) to get these pumps (ready for use)?

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Exumas

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

I would also be interested in getting this new pump. I haven’t followed this thread in derail but I do seem to recall that it was custom built, so would this be a problem for the “lay” owner?

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

[...]

Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Scott SV Tengah

Paul,

I was able to do it, so it can't be that hard :)

It will take you a day to set up and requires a Windows computer to configure the software for the pump controller and interface between the Frigoboat interface and the pump controller. Point, click and load files. I would reach out to Oliver - he's a bit busy with a new child, but he will respond eventually. I can't speak for him, but I think he's intending on making a ready-to-install solution. That will probably make it easier to implement. I have no commercial interest in this nor do I want any.

I wanted to get it early because I "only" had a few remaining flojet pumps aboard. And being in the South Pacific and hearing about Garulfo waiting months to get a new pump, I wanted a better solution ASAP. If you do it yourself, you'll need to get a bracket made to mount the motor and pump head, but that was simple and cost me $20 - it's just a bent piece of aluminum. Aligning the motor to the pump head was the most difficult part, but I did it with a cordless hand drill and a dremel. I'm sure the metal shop could do that part for you, too.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 4:38 PM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott,

Thanks for the info. I’ll contact Oliver – I did meet him a couple of years ago in the Algarve and he certainly knows his stuff! Unfortunately we won’t be back on the boat in Grenada until later this year – Covid has certainly worked havoc with our place recently.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada