Topics

novice problem

Matti Lohikoski

Dear Amelians,
I have just acquired Borador, my first real sailing vessel.(I have had a Beneteau for 20 years but the feeling is quite, quite different)
Following this very informative group I asked Olivier to do the survey and I got a long but fortunately not too severe list of defects.
Quite happy with his assistance.

I'm planning to sail Borador from Valencia to Finland beginning April when the sea ice is melting here.

I must have a closed Bimini made in Valencia. Without being there, due to current European situation, I have to trust a lot to sailmaker.
The many pictures in this site have been very helpful.
Nacho is suggesting to put a U shaped tube fastened to deck close to mizzen mast.
I am more in favour of connecting this tube to mizzen stays like #299 but Nachos opinion is that the stays are moving and its not a good solution.
Unfortunately I must do it now, it can be a bloody cold journey.

May I have your opinion which way to go.

Sincerely yours

Matti Lohikoski

SM2K #398

Finland

Ian Park

Others will comment I'm sure. If he has not worked on an Amel he would not know that the powers don't move. I'm sure Olivier would have commented had the stage not been as rock solid as they should be.
We have a full enclosure on our Santorin and it is like sailing in a pilot house in bad weather, especially with the heating on!! Ours however is designed round a bimini, which is possible on the Santorin as there is only one winch on each side of the cockpit.I
But wIth for comment from SM owners.

And enjoy your new boat!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96 currently locked down in North Wales.

Paul Osterberg

We have a bar between the mizzen shrouds worked great for us, gives better headroom as well. Attache some photos, you also find photos on our enclosure if searching in the photo section on Kerpa
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Lagos

Craig Briggs

Hi Matti,
Your Nacho clearly is not familiar with Amels - by all means, fasten the bimini frame to the shrouds and do not clutter it with vertical members going to the deck.
Look at the connection of your balooner "wishbone" stabilizing bar on the main mast shrouds for a model of how to do this. (Commercial clamps are also available.)

If you search the photos section for "Sangaris" you will find an album of how mine is done, with only four connections to the mizzen stays. (Or just click this link: Sangaris Bimini.)
No connection needed to the Mizzen. Bullet-proof and clean.

I've done mine in "T"-Top style as I did not want full enclosure but (hopefully) Nacho can easily close yours in.

Btw, using the same 25mm tube as the rails will give you plenty of strength plus a complimentary appearance.
-- good luck with your project.
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Dan Wilcox

Hi Matti,

We live in Seattle, and sail year round.  Having the full enclosure is a huge improvement.  I had the U shaped contraption connected to the deck mentioned and I removed it.  I instead took the first bow from the dodger and repurposed it behind the mizzen, secured with a tab to the mizzen boom bolt, and then to the shrouds as in other pictures attached.  It is vastly superior.  This also lets you reposition the other bows to give more headroom, and the "eyebrows" that zipper open.

I can run down to the boat this afternoon if you would like some pictures.  I did research with the Amel group to come up with what I consider the best cold weather solution.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM #86

On Friday, January 22, 2021, 05:46:53 AM PST, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Matti. The tube to the mizzen stays is the perfect solution. We have had it there for 11 years. Flatten the ends and clamp around the stay as amel did on the main mast stays.put it over the boom not under. Gives more head room andworks well there.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 ocean pearl

On 22 January 2021 at 19:04 Matti Lohikoski <matti.lohikoski@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dan,
I would appreciate a lot for pictures that I could share with Nacho.
So much better when a proven structure can be used.
Best regards
Matti
Borador #398

On 22. Jan 2021, at 18.25, Dan Wilcox via groups.io <dwilcox123@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Matti. I will take a photograph tomorrow and post it.

Danny

On 23 January 2021 at 19:25 Matti Lohikoski <matti.lohikoski@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Matti. See the photos attached. The clamping system mirrors Amels main mast stay attachments. It is important to put the tibe over the mizzen boom for head room. There is no need at all to fix it to the mast. My bimini top  is secured by zips to the rail. If I remove the rear curtains I can zip on a mizzen boom tent. The sustem has served us well. Any of the side curtains can be rolled up or removed quickly and easily. The top extension s also quick and easy to remove if so desired. Then you can fold away the whole top Amel style and have it as open as ypu wish. So the system suits us well. We often sail with the windward curtain down and one or both the rear leaving air open to leeward. Mix and match according to conditions. Fully closed, snug as you could wish for.

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

[...]

JOSE PRIETO

Last year I received this sketch from Amel SAV.

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Dan Wilcox

I uploaded photos of our canvas to the Photos section.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM #86

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 04:28:57 AM PST, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

Last year I received this sketch from Amel SAV.

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Alicante, Spain

Matti Lohikoski

Hi Dan,
thank you for the info your structure looks great.
Would  you kindly send the phots directly to my email.  matti.lohikoski@...

When I try to download from the site, I get only 71k which is too small to forward to Nacho.

Best regards
Matti
Borador #398