Onan generator does not start

Roland Mueller

Hi all,

After two successful runs of the Onan generator, it does not start anymore.
The start button in the pantry doesn’t show a light anymore, which it did before.
12V are supplied to the generator, so it should have power to start.
We suppose are switch or are fuse which are preventing the generator to start, but haven’t found anything.
Anyone had a similar issue or an idea to solve it?

Regards,
Roland
SM 150 Aventura

Bill Kinney

Roland,

Two days after we moved aboard our SM, we could not start the Onan, just as you described. The gear was new to us and we had not to opportunity to learn its tricks yet, so we contacted the previous owner, and asked him...

He knew right away what the issue was:  On the front of the Onan control panel in the engine room is a standard white toggle circuit breaker.  it is in a place that anyone working or moving in the engine room can easily bump it, and it immediately flips to "OFF" and nothing works.  In the next few years that has happened at least a half dozen times.

If that's not it, then there are others, but if they fail it would be for a reason that would need to be investigated before replacing them.  Do you have the MDKD model?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

Ian Townsend

Check out the wire with a spade connector that goes to the electronic fuel pump. Also, inspect the inline fuse to the starter hiding behind the unit.

From: Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...>
Date: 2022-06-15 11:06 a.m. (GMT-05:00)
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

[...]

I don't have a photo. It's on the port side of the generator, low down. Hard to find. Trace back from the starter.

[...]

I want to remind you and Ian of what I say too often. Just because 1 SM has something installed, doesn't mean they all do. I do not believe the fuse that Ian has is Onan or Amel installed.

We do not know the Onan model installed in your Amel because you did not state the model number of the Onan. It could be original or may have been replaced.

Assuming that it is original which is probably MDKC/MDKD, there are two control panel breakers. This is the first thing to check.

image.png

What you can probably do: The next things you can check are the connections of the 12v cables including the battery, the connection block on the side of the Onan, and all of the connections on each of the solenoids used for starting, positive and negative. I suggest that you remove each connection, clean completely and use CorrosionX on the connection, then tighten completely:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

At this point, if you have not solved the issue, I suggest that you get an Onan technician onboard. There could be many possible issues including a weak battery, computer PCB, relays, solenoids, etc.

Good luck

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 5:27 AM Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill,

Thanks for the hints.
Our Onan generator is model 6.5MDKOP, Serial No 1943230900, Spec 174C:

Your picture of the solenoid looks different to ours:

The generator is likely the original given the high number of operating hours.

The fault reset breaker and the DC control breaker are in proper position, the generator cannot get started either directly at the control panel nor by the remote switch in the pantry.
There is no 12V voltage at the control unit, and that would lead me to this mysterious fuse. In the electrical drawings of the generator, the 30A fuse is shown. But we cannot find it.
Of course, there could be other reasons like a faulty PCB, but the visual inspection of it doesn't show anything unusual.

Do you know an Onan technician in Genua/Italy? I've been rerouted from Onan UK to Onan Italy (+39 025 165 581), but this number seems unattended.

We are definitely at the end of our knowledge to solve the issue.

Regards,
Roland
SM 150 Aventura
Genua/Italy

Two days after we moved aboard our SM, we could not start the Onan, just as you described. The gear was new to us and we had not to opportunity to learn its tricks yet, so we contacted the previous owner, and asked him...

He knew right away what the issue was:  On the front of the Onan control panel in the engine room is a standard white toggle circuit breaker.  it is in a place that anyone working or moving in the engine room can easily bump it, and it immediately flips to "OFF" and nothing works.  In the next few years that has happened at least a half dozen times.

If that's not it, then there are others, but if they fail it would be for a reason that would need to be investigated before replacing them.  Do you have the MDKD model?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

If original, it is very old and you will suffer from parts availability.

I do not have anyone to recommend, but I am sure that there are good generator mechanics nearby.

Bill

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 11:43 AM Roland Mueller <rolimueller@...> wrote:
[...]

Patrick McAneny

Years ago a few hours before departing for a trip to the Caribbean I discovered my Onan would not start . I had a mechanic come aboard and the first thing he did was to find and replace an inline fuse ,that I did not know existed. It is behind the engine on the port side close to the front . It may go to the starter . If you cannot find it let me know and I will go out to my boat and take some pictures.
Hope this helps,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat,

Please explain "behind the engine on the port side close to the front."

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 1:17 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Years ago a few hours before departing for a trip to the Caribbean I discovered my Onan would not start . I had a mechanic come aboard and the first thing he did was to find and replace an inline fuse ,that I did not know existed. It is behind the engine on the port side close to the front . It may go to the starter . If you cannot find it let me know and I will go out to my boat and take some pictures.
Hope this helps,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Roland Mueller

Pat,

Thanks. Some pictures would be excellent.

Regards,
Roland
SM 150 Aventura
Genua, Italy

On 21 Jun 2022, at 20:58, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Pat,

Please explain "behind the engine on the port side close to the front."

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 1:17 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Years ago a few hours before departing for a trip to the Caribbean I discovered my Onan would not start . I had a mechanic come aboard and the first thing he did was to find and replace an inline fuse ,that I did not know existed. It is behind the engine on the port side close to the front . It may go to the starter . If you cannot find it let me know and I will go out to my boat and take some pictures.
Hope this helps,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Bill, That may be a bit confusing ,when I say behind the engine ,I assume, so mean if you are standing between the two engines facing the Onan it would be behind the engine ,on the port side of the engine and I would say about a foot aft of the front of the engine. It is a inline fuse,if it blown the engine will not turn over. This fuse may not be on other SMs ,I don't know about that. I will take a picture .
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River , Md.

Eric Freedman

Roland,

The solenoid looks like a Valeo solenoid Amel uses to ground the block on the propulsion engine.  What makes it different from other isolated solenoids is that it has a rubber button on top to close the solenoid. Did you try pressing the rubber button and try to start the generator engine? . If it works then you can take the solenoid apart and clean the contacts.

Also check the wiring connections.

If the engine works with the solenoid button depressed and you can’t fix it, you can get an isolated starter solenoid at any auto parts store. They run about $20- US.

The only difference is that the they do not have the rubber button.

I keep one as a spare as it is used on my engine.

Onan went to a regular solenoid as I previously mentioned on later model generators.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

If original, it is very old and you will suffer from parts availability.

I do not have anyone to recommend, but I am sure that there are good generator mechanics nearby.

Bill

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

[...]

karkauai

I found a similar blown fuse on Loca Lola's Onan this winter, it was tucked under the port side of the engine where I couldn't see it.  I found it when I couldn't find any power to the start relay in the control box upper aft end of the engine where all the relays are.
I think their vintage may be similar to Shenanigans.

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Roland Mueller

Pat,

Thanks. This more detailed description of the location of the fuse helped us to finally find it!!
After replacing the fuse, the Onan generator started well.

The inline fuse is very hidden and in our case white painted as the whole generator, so tricky to find, if you don’t know where to search.
Here the location of the inline fuse:
image0.jpeg

This case is now solved and I appreciate the help and hints from you guys. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Roland
SM 150 Aventura
Genua, Italy

On 21 Jun 2022, at 21:38, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Bill, That may be a bit confusing ,when I say behind the engine ,I assume, so mean if you are standing between the two engines facing the Onan it would be behind the engine ,on the port side of the engine and I would say about a foot aft of the front of the engine. It is a inline fuse,if it blown the engine will not turn over. This fuse may not be on other SMs ,I don't know about that. I will take a picture .
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River , Md.

Patrick McAneny

Roland & Bill, Had a look at the fuse. It was probably an add on, but someone also said they had a fuse. Picture is attached. the wire with the fuse is connected to the same terminal on the back of the solenoid that the power supply is. The wire appears to lead to the panel on the side of the engine that has the switches, which makes sense. I don't know if yours or any other SM has this fuse, but mine does and it blew and preventing the engine from starting. The mechanic went right to it as if he new it was there, fixed it in five minutes.
Hope this helps,
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123

Patrick McAneny

We are having trouble transferring the pics from my phone ,but as I described the fuse is right off the back of the solenoid , I never knew it was there ,and I am pretty sure it was not installed by Amel .

Pat
SM Shenanigans #123

Roland & Bill, Had a look at the fuse. It was probably an add on, but someone also said they had a fuse. Picture is attached. the wire with the fuse is connected to the same terminal on the back of the solenoid that the power supply is. The wire appears to lead to the panel on the side of the engine that has the switches, which makes sense. I don't know if yours or any other SM has this fuse, but mine does and it blew and preventing the engine from starting. The mechanic went right to it as if he new it was there, fixed it in five minutes.
Hope this helps,
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123

First, this is a very old Onan.

I looked at the MDK series installation manual for this Onan and discovered the DC wiring diagram shows a 30A fuse.
I was a little surprised by this because I have not seen an inline fuse in Onan installations done in the last 20-25 years.

Bill

image.png