Topics

Onan Generator exhaust temperature switch - great price.

eric freedman

I have broken a few of these switches over the years. I have done this by reaching over the generator to retrieve something stored behind the genset.

I received a quote from my Onan dealer and on Amazon for around $90- plus tax which is ridiculous.

I tracked down the OEM manufacturer and the cost is about $23- plus a one time set up fee of about $50- I plan on ordering 2 of these. They stated that they make this for ONAN. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can order them for you $33- each plus USPS of about $8.00.

I will order the switches within a week.

Fair Winds,

Eric

SM 376 Kimberlite

karkauai

Thanks Eric,
Ive had two go bad in the last year. Please order three for me.

We'll be coming down from Maine in late Sept.  Will you be home then?
Thanks.
Kent & Iris
Kristy
SM 243

On Jul 28, 2020 8:37 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

I have broken a few of these switches over the years. I have done this by reaching over the generator to retrieve something stored behind the genset.

I received a quote from my Onan dealer and on Amazon for around $90- plus tax which is ridiculous.

I tracked down the OEM manufacturer and the cost is about $23- plus a one time set up fee of about $50- I plan on ordering 2 of these. They stated that they make this for ONAN. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can order them for you $33- each plus USPS of about $8.00.

I will order the switches within a week.

Fair Winds,

Eric

SM 376 Kimberlite

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Thanks Eric. Sent you a message with order details.

When these fail, go bad, or break, how do you know? Does it prevent the genset from starting/running? Or does it allow the genset to overheat if there are issues with the cooling system (broken impeller for example) and potentially damage things?

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Eric;

Thanks for sharing the information and your offer to accommodate the group purchase.

I’d  like 3 of them, if possible. Please let me know how to pay.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

I have broken a few of these switches over the years. I have done this by reaching over the generator to retrieve something stored behind the genset.

I received a quote from my Onan dealer and on Amazon for around $90- plus tax which is ridiculous.

I tracked down the OEM manufacturer and the cost is about $23- plus a one time set up fee of about $50- I plan on ordering 2 of these. They stated that they make this for ONAN. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can order them for you $33- each plus USPS of about $8.00.

I will order the switches within a week.

Fair Winds,

Eric

SM 376 Kimberlite

eric freedman

Kent ,
will do.
Fair Winds,
Eric

On July 28, 2020 at 9:28 PM "karkauai via groups.io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike,
These are simple thermal switches. They are normally closed.
If the circuit opens up the genset stops.
My problem is sometimes they burn out and other times I hit the switch and it separates.
Fair Winds,
Eric

On July 28, 2020 at 10:41 PM "Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)" <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Thanks Eric. Sent you a message with order details.

When these fail, go bad, or break, how do you know? Does it prevent the genset from starting/running? Or does it allow the genset to overheat if there are issues with the cooling system (broken impeller for example) and potentially damage things?

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

eric freedman

Mohamed,
Are you in the USA?
If you are I will order them for you. We will figure out payment when they are in my hands..
Fair Winds,
Eric

On July 28, 2020 at 11:44 PM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Pitt

Eric,

I will order one.  I have never had an issue with mine but you never know.  Thanks for doing this.
Best,
Mark
Sabbatical III, Sm#419, Rhode Island, USA

On Jul 29, 2020, at 1:13 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

 Mike,
These are simple thermal switches. They are normally closed.
If the circuit opens up the genset stops.
My problem is sometimes they burn out and other times I hit the switch and it separates.
Fair Winds,
Eric

On July 28, 2020 at 10:41 PM "Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)" <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

Thanks Eric. Sent you a message with order details.

When these fail, go bad, or break, how do you know? Does it prevent the genset from starting/running? Or does it allow the genset to overheat if there are issues with the cooling system (broken impeller for example) and potentially damage things?

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

Alan Grayson

Hi Eric, I'll take 2.
Regards
Alan Grayson
SM 406 Ora Pai
Lancaster Virginia

I have broken a few of these switches over the years. I have done this by reaching over the generator to retrieve something stored behind the genset.

I received a quote from my Onan dealer and on Amazon for around $90- plus tax which is ridiculous.

I tracked down the OEM manufacturer and the cost is about $23- plus a one time set up fee of about $50- I plan on ordering 2 of these. They stated that they make this for ONAN. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can order them for you $33- each plus USPS of about $8.00.

I will order the switches within a week.

Fair Winds,

Eric

SM 376 Kimberlite

Craig Briggs

Edited

Online here for $48. or use their $13.20 one with spade connectors rather than screw.
http://senasys.com/fan-limit-temperature-switch-generators
--
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Jim Anderson

Hi Eric,
Please put me down for one.
Thanks,
Jim
SM384 Sirena Azul
Seattle

Michael & Robyn

Hi Eric,

please count me in for three of these sensors. I just replaced the rubber hose coupling between the exhaust elbow and the pipe leading outside of the onan box and could see that the sensor contacts are very corroded.
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417
currently in CYB Cambridge MD USA

WAIT and read this before you order!

Not all Onan Generators in all SMs and 54s are created equally. Use your ohmmeter to check for continuity between the terminals on the temperature sensor on the exhaust elbow. Some Onan models have part 309-0295-01 which is Normally Closed. Other models have part 309-0295 is Normally Open. Which sensor you have depends on your Onan Model and Serial. Check the parts manual for your model to determine how to test this sensor. Or call your Cummins/Onan dealer with your model and serial number.

Good to know: The normal temperature of the exhaust elbow is about 50C and the normal temperature of the coolant is about 80C. Were these in range? How many hours since the last impeller change? Should be less than 300hrs or 12 months. The impeller blades can look OK, but the impeller can be defective. You can have some water flow, but not enough to keep the elbow below about 70C (the approximate cut-off temp).

Also, remember there are a number of sensors in the shutdown system, and these switches will fail. I replaced the exhaust manifold temperature switch and the water-flow switch because of an accumulation of debris inside. I also had one situation with a loose connection on a switch. Did you use your laser temperature gun to measure temperature?

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 4:02 AM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:
[...]

My Onan MDKAV uses 309-0295-01, the part that is in Eric's photo.

   Mark Pitt

On 7/29/2020 10:05 AM, CW Bill Rouse wrote:
[...]

It would, but earlier Onan generators use the other one. I don't know the Onan model and year changeover, but it did happen.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 12:35 PM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

[...]

Cancel my order, mine are normally open. I have a 1999 6.5KW MDKAL Onan. I guess that means if they fail to close, my engine gets hot and doesn't shut down. Both times mine failed closed and the engine would start up and immediately shut down. Once it was intermittent and difficult to diagnose.

Thanks anyway, and cancel the three I ordered.  If it's too late, let me know.  If your guy can make the normally open ones, I'd be interested.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jul 29, 2020 1:13 AM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:
[...]

I won’t be aboard to tell witch model I have until 04 August. If ordering before then, then please cancel my order for 1 unit. Otherwise I’ll reply further on Wednesday. Thanks for doing this for the group,

Jim

SM384 Sirena Azul

Seattle

Jim,

If original SM 384 has normally closed, part number 309-0295-01

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020, 10:14 AM Jim Anderson <capt.anderson@...> wrote:

Eric,

I won’t be aboard to tell witch model I have until 04 August. If ordering before then, then please cancel my order for 1 unit. Otherwise I’ll reply further on Wednesday. Thanks for doing this for the group,

Jim

SM384 Sirena Azul

Seattle

Jim Anderson

Eric,
Please confirm me for 1 unit, per Bill's knowledge.
Bill, thank you.
Jim
SM384 Sirena Azul
Seattle

rossirossix4

I'll take one.  Bob Rossi, KAIMI  SM 429