From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Doucette
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 9:01 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Generator Removal

Does anyone know if you can remove an Onan Type 7MDKAV-2317 MDKAV 7 kW 50 Hz Diesel out of a later model SM without removal of the Yanmar engine?  If you have done this would love to here your experiences.

Thanks!
Chris

Amarok SM385

Karen Smith

Chris,

Not exactly what you were asking for, but hopefully some help nonetheless.  Just a couple months ago we removed our MDKD 6.5 KVA generator from our engine room past our Volvo.

Before the lift, I stripped off all the bolted on bits I could.  Fuel filter, exhaust manifold, etc. and unbolted it from the pan so we weren’t lifting that as well.  It would have fit without all this, but is still seemed a good idea.

We tied a line from the crane hook, down into the engine room so the hook was up and out of the way. A piece of plywood leaned up against the engine served as a skid so it didn’t bounce against the Volvo. Some kind of solid guide on the port side of the cockpit opening would be a good idea to keep the lift line from abrading the engine room insulating foam.

Thera was a LOT of extra room, not a squeak fit at all.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Craig Briggs

Hi Chris,
We've done this three times on our SN which has a 6kw Northern Lights genset. Very easy to do with the ship's halyards and then you can swing it over the dock with the main boom - no boatyard needed.
Cheers, Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL