Play in Brunson H6 prop blade


Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hi everyone;

While diving to clean the hull and the prop, I noticed that one of the blades rocks back and forth about 1/8” to 1/4”. The other two are tight. 

The blades had new bearings installed in 2018  with about 1800 hours on the engine. This is about the time Brunton recommends an overhaul. The work was done at Manoel”s in Malta by workers that seemed competent.

Has anyone run into this ? Any information on repairs ot solutions would be appreciated.



Respectfully;


Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax


 

It sounds to me like something was done wrong, or something is wrong. I have seen the bearings. That is way too much play.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Hi everyone;

While diving to clean the hull and the prop, I noticed that one of the blades rocks back and forth about 1/8” to 1/4”. The other two are tight. 

The blades had new bearings installed in 2018  with about 1800 hours on the engine. This is about the time Brunton recommends an overhaul. The work was done at Manoel”s in Malta by workers that seemed competent.

Has anyone run into this ? Any information on repairs ot solutions would be appreciated.



Respectfully;


Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax


Denis Elborn
 

Hi Mohammad,

When you replace the bearings there is adjustment to get the correct play which is locked by a locking ring, this may have come loose, assuming you don’t have a bearing problem.

I think it will be an ‘out of the water’ repair.

Regards, Denis
Fortune A54 #159
St. Raphael 


On 7 Jun 2021, at 9:01 am, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

It sounds to me like something was done wrong, or something is wrong. I have seen the bearings. That is way too much play.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Hi everyone;

While diving to clean the hull and the prop, I noticed that one of the blades rocks back and forth about 1/8” to 1/4”. The other two are tight. 

The blades had new bearings installed in 2018  with about 1800 hours on the engine. This is about the time Brunton recommends an overhaul. The work was done at Manoel”s in Malta by workers that seemed competent.

Has anyone run into this ? Any information on repairs ot solutions would be appreciated.



Respectfully;


Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax




Mohammad Shirloo
 

Thanks for the responses. I talked to Bruntons and they agree that it is either the adjustment nut or the bearings may have seated since the rebuild. We are planning on removing the prop in water, make the needed corrections on board (We have the complete rebuild kit on biard) and have the prop reinstalled in water. We have scheduled a diver recommended by a friend that has a boat in the marina nearby. Are there any issues that anyone knows that removing the propeller in water may create, other than the obvious losing of parts or prop?

We do have the original fixed prop on board, does anyone know if there are any adjustments to the drive system needed or can the original fixed prop be installed without any modification or issues?

Respectfully;


Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Denis Elborn via groups.io <delborn@...>
Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 1:18:49 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade
 
Hi Mohammad,

When you replace the bearings there is adjustment to get the correct play which is locked by a locking ring, this may have come loose, assuming you don’t have a bearing problem.

I think it will be an ‘out of the water’ repair.

Regards, Denis
Fortune A54 #159
St. Raphael 


On 7 Jun 2021, at 9:01 am, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

It sounds to me like something was done wrong, or something is wrong. I have seen the bearings. That is way too much play.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Hi everyone;

While diving to clean the hull and the prop, I noticed that one of the blades rocks back and forth about 1/8” to 1/4”. The other two are tight. 

The blades had new bearings installed in 2018  with about 1800 hours on the engine. This is about the time Brunton recommends an overhaul. The work was done at Manoel”s in Malta by workers that seemed competent.

Has anyone run into this ? Any information on repairs ot solutions would be appreciated.



Respectfully;


Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax




Nicolas Klene
 

Hello Mohammad 
I have just serviced my brunton H6 on the hard ,after it had given 16 years of good service ,I don’t know if the previous owner did it,I have no records. I just want to make you aware that a lot of heat was needed to remove the prop from its conical shaft , nothing else was moving it , not even the prop puller...
good luck
Nicolas
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille


Gary Wells
 

There is a series of YouTube videos on servicing the H6. They are a bit dated, but they were put out by Brunton.
Here's the episode about the bearings.
.
https://youtu.be/zzMcjJFT8E0
.
Cheers!
Gary W.
Land-Lubber in Arizona,
with a heart for SM 209 :) 


Mohammad Shirloo
 

Thanks Gary. I watched all 7 a few hours ago, as a refresher.

Respectfully;


Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Gary Wells via groups.io <gary@...>
Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 6:56:11 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade
 
There is a series of YouTube videos on servicing the H6. They are a bit dated, but they were put out by Brunton.
Here's the episode about the bearings.
.
https://youtu.be/zzMcjJFT8E0
.
Cheers!
Gary W.
Land-Lubber in Arizona,
with a heart for SM 209 :) 


Mohammad Shirloo
 

Thanks Nicolas;

We have pulled and serviced ours a couple of years ago, and did not have any issues. Hoping for the same this time, as we will be doing this in water.

Respectfully;


Mohammad Shirloo
+1-323-633-2222 Cell
+1-424-644-0908 Fax


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Nicolas Klene via groups.io <laixoi@...>
Sent: Monday, June 7, 2021 6:32:16 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade
 
Hello Mohammad 
I have just serviced my brunton H6 on the hard ,after it had given 16 years of good service ,I don’t know if the previous owner did it,I have no records. I just want to make you aware that a lot of heat was needed to remove the prop from its conical shaft , nothing else was moving it , not even the prop puller...
good luck
Nicolas
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille


Slavko Despotovic
 

Just in case you have not see it. This is video from SVDelos I found this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEtGRuJiD0--

Slavko

SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz


Mohammad Shirloo
 

I dove with assistance from a diver and had the prop removed in less than one hour. After removing the loose blade, found out that the tightening nut on the blade would rotate by hand and the left hand locking nut was not tightened against the blade nut and therefore allowed almost two full turns prior to locking. Water has gotten in between the hub and the blade and the bearing guide has almost rusted through.  I believe we have been sailing for two seasons with the prop in this condition and it was with pure luck that we found the condition before losing a blade and possibly doing a lot more damage in the process.

 

One more item to add to the annual check list. Dive and inspect all underwater items, as well as everything above deck. Time to rebuild again ourselves and hopefully do a better job than the “expert mechanics”. This issue keeps on being reinforced, do it yourself and at least you will either learn or make a mistake and know that you made a mistake. You will most likely not make the same mistake twice.

 

Thanks for all the responses.

 

Respectfully;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Slavko Despotovic via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 12:16 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

 

Just in case you have not see it. This is video from SVDelos I found this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEtGRuJiD0--

Slavko

SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz


 

Mohammed,

Great! And great advice!

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   


On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 5:48 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

I dove with assistance from a diver and had the prop removed in less than one hour. After removing the loose blade, found out that the tightening nut on the blade would rotate by hand and the left hand locking nut was not tightened against the blade nut and therefore allowed almost two full turns prior to locking. Water has gotten in between the hub and the blade and the bearing guide has almost rusted through.  I believe we have been sailing for two seasons with the prop in this condition and it was with pure luck that we found the condition before losing a blade and possibly doing a lot more damage in the process.

 

One more item to add to the annual check list. Dive and inspect all underwater items, as well as everything above deck. Time to rebuild again ourselves and hopefully do a better job than the “expert mechanics”. This issue keeps on being reinforced, do it yourself and at least you will either learn or make a mistake and know that you made a mistake. You will most likely not make the same mistake twice.

 

Thanks for all the responses.

 

Respectfully;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Slavko Despotovic via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 12:16 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

 

Just in case you have not see it. This is video from SVDelos I found this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEtGRuJiD0--

Slavko

SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz


Mohammad Shirloo
 

I have now removed all three blades. Two blades are missing the track for the roller bearing to seat in. The third one has it and the blade is in perfect shape. All of these parts  were in the kit that I supplied to them. They must have seen these tracks and did not know where they went and decided it was extra parts without even an inquiry. The strange part is that one of the blades was done correctly, so I fail to see how they missed the other two, unless they were done by different “mechanics”. I’m hoping to finish dismantling and cleaning today, re-assemble tomorrow. The diver is scheduled to come back Thursday AM to assist in the re-installation of the prop.

 

The plus side is that we have avoided a haul out and the whole process should take less than 2 days. This is something that can be done without an assist from a diver and I believe the whole process can be accomplished in a long day, in calm weather at anchor.

 

Respectfully;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:31 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

 

Mohammed,

 

Great! And great advice!

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   

 

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 5:48 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

I dove with assistance from a diver and had the prop removed in less than one hour. After removing the loose blade, found out that the tightening nut on the blade would rotate by hand and the left hand locking nut was not tightened against the blade nut and therefore allowed almost two full turns prior to locking. Water has gotten in between the hub and the blade and the bearing guide has almost rusted through.  I believe we have been sailing for two seasons with the prop in this condition and it was with pure luck that we found the condition before losing a blade and possibly doing a lot more damage in the process.

 

One more item to add to the annual check list. Dive and inspect all underwater items, as well as everything above deck. Time to rebuild again ourselves and hopefully do a better job than the “expert mechanics”. This issue keeps on being reinforced, do it yourself and at least you will either learn or make a mistake and know that you made a mistake. You will most likely not make the same mistake twice.

 

Thanks for all the responses.

 

Respectfully;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Slavko Despotovic via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 12:16 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

 

Just in case you have not see it. This is video from SVDelos I found this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEtGRuJiD0--

Slavko

SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz


ngtnewington Newington
 

Well done Mohammad.
At the end of the day we all realise that you gotta do it yourself. There are, of course, plenty of excellent tradesmen, but few and far between.
I bought the full service kit from Buntons but all is well for the moment so it rests in wait.
I had toyed with the idea of getting the yard to do it over the winter, but not now, not after your story.
I am in Athens connecting to Leros in the morning…..
Nick
Amelia Aml54-019


On 8 Jun 2021, at 16:44, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:



I have now removed all three blades. Two blades are missing the track for the roller bearing to seat in. The third one has it and the blade is in perfect shape. All of these parts  were in the kit that I supplied to them. They must have seen these tracks and did not know where they went and decided it was extra parts without even an inquiry. The strange part is that one of the blades was done correctly, so I fail to see how they missed the other two, unless they were done by different “mechanics”. I’m hoping to finish dismantling and cleaning today, re-assemble tomorrow. The diver is scheduled to come back Thursday AM to assist in the re-installation of the prop.

 

The plus side is that we have avoided a haul out and the whole process should take less than 2 days. This is something that can be done without an assist from a diver and I believe the whole process can be accomplished in a long day, in calm weather at anchor.

 

Respectfully;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:31 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

 

Mohammed,

 

Great! And great advice!

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   

 

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 5:48 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

I dove with assistance from a diver and had the prop removed in less than one hour. After removing the loose blade, found out that the tightening nut on the blade would rotate by hand and the left hand locking nut was not tightened against the blade nut and therefore allowed almost two full turns prior to locking. Water has gotten in between the hub and the blade and the bearing guide has almost rusted through.  I believe we have been sailing for two seasons with the prop in this condition and it was with pure luck that we found the condition before losing a blade and possibly doing a lot more damage in the process.

 

One more item to add to the annual check list. Dive and inspect all underwater items, as well as everything above deck. Time to rebuild again ourselves and hopefully do a better job than the “expert mechanics”. This issue keeps on being reinforced, do it yourself and at least you will either learn or make a mistake and know that you made a mistake. You will most likely not make the same mistake twice.

 

Thanks for all the responses.

 

Respectfully;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Slavko Despotovic via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 12:16 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Play in Brunson H6 prop blade

 

Just in case you have not see it. This is video from SVDelos I found this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEtGRuJiD0--

Slavko

SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz