Topics

plug for windlass

kimberlite1212 <no_reply@...>

hi Joel,
How was the paris show??

I was thinking of coating the hawspipe and chain with vaseline. then
filling the cavity with silicone sealant. when this dries i would
lower the anchor to remove the plug. all i then have to do is slit
the silicone plug and remove it. i would then have a custom form
fitted plug for offshore.
what do you think of that idea?
happy and healthiest holiday wishes to you and Vela.
eric & Judy

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Joel F. Potter"
<jfpottercys@w...> wrote:
Hi Eric,

I've seen many different attempts at this with varying success.
The ones I
know to work:

1. A wad of duct tape (racer tape, boat tape, airplane tape,
silver
tape...a thousand names for the same stuff)
around the chain where it passes through the hause hole.
90%
effective and a mess to remove.
2. Sealing clay (the kind you find at hardware stores for
sealing cracks
and holes for pipes and wires) around
the hause hole. A bit of a mess t remove but 95%
effective.
3. Neoprene sheet (wet suit material) wrapped around the chain,
taped
with duct tape at both ends,
pulled into the hause from the chain locker. 90%
effective, easy to
remove.
4. Spray type insulating foam from the hardware store, used to
fill
voids, insulate around pipe and wire
entry/exit holes. It is 95% effective and disintegrates
when the
chain is used. Great stuff.
5. If you have friends who are dentists, beg, borrow or steal
the molding
putty they use to take full upper or
lower impressions. It is 100% effective and completely
disappears
when the chain is used.

Hope this helps, Joel